OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - General Discussion - All Non-Hockey Olympic Talk Here

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Not that is matters right now (Canada is first in both), but I always found it dumb that North America counts total medals, when the rest of the world ranks by number of gold medals.

The rest of the world is right, countries should be ranked by number of golds, not total medals.

Canada #1 overall for GOLD medals as we speak. How awesome is that???? :nod:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Not that is matters right now (Canada is first in both), but I always found it dumb that North America counts total medals, when the rest of the world ranks by number of gold medals.

The rest of the world is right, countries should be ranked by number of golds, not total medals.
I think some countries (France?) do a point total: 5 pts for gold, 3 pts for silver, 1 pt for bronze. Seems the best solution to me.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think some countries (France?) do a point total: 5 pts for gold, 3 pts for silver, 1 pt for bronze. Seems the best solution to me.

I agree that this system would work nicely because it is so up in the air right now as to whether # of Gold or total medals determines country rank. I thought I remembered in the 90's that it was done on a gold medal basis. Then all of a sudden it seemed to get switched over for total medals.

Conspiracy alert: If North America goes by medal count while the rest of the world does # of Gold, I'll blame the USA for this and Canada for conforming. USA tends to get crazy medal totals (see: Every Olympics summer and winter) first of all due to the sheer number of competitive athletes they have in all sports, but don't necessarily come away with the most gold (see: Vancouver).

Then again China crushes it in the Summer too.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Canada #1 overall for GOLD medals as we speak. How awesome is that???? :nod:

I'd like to see a few unexpected medals. Like cross-country skiing or luge or something.

It also continues to shock me that Canada is no good at alpine skiing (sorry Eric Guay) and not even CLOSE for ski jumping, considering we have had the training facilities at COP in Calgary for 25 years.

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
Alfie and EK are currently watching the Women's curling SWE vs CAN together in the stands right now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
2zeggpc.jpg

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Damn it.

I just realized that all the hockey will be played at or prior to 9 am PT.

It's at least doable in Ottawa, but the final is 7 am in Vancouver.

**** me.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I tried to explain to a few Indonesians what Curling was. The closest I could get was "darts, played on ice, with stones instead of darts, and you slide them on the ice instead of throw them through the air".

People here have a very odd opinion of me, haha.

Canada and Sweden men's teams tied up going into the 7th end, nice shots by Jacobs to tie it up.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
More like: "Horray! That arrogant jerk didn't even medal!"

Haha, is that a little US hatred? I always thought he seemed like a nice enough guy, but I'm on the outside of that sport, maybe you know better.

The snow looked just awful during the half pipe final, so I can believe what you say about the IOC trying to save money.

Edit - Tsubota (CAN) had an epic crash in the freestyle ski, she broke her jaw. I heard there were complaints (even by White funny enough) about that course, but while the women were doing their runs, it looked like they all barely had enough speed to clear the high landing areas and were all coming dangerously close to casing the big jumps. Tsubota cased it HARD.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Haha, is that a little US hatred? I always thought he seemed like a nice enough guy, but I'm on the outside of that sport, maybe you know better.

The snow looked just awful during the half pipe final, so I can believe what you say about the IOC trying to save money.

I met him once with my family a couple of years ago. He seemed like he was nice guy, so i don't know what ap is talking about.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think they should probably test him for steroids, though I think he was great in Chairman of the Board.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Edit - Tsubota (CAN) had an epic crash in the freestyle ski, she broke her jaw. I heard there were complaints (even by White funny enough) about that course, but while the women were doing their runs, it looked like they all barely had enough speed to clear the high landing areas and were all coming dangerously close to casing the big jumps. Tsubota cased it HARD.
I think if it was just the course being poorly constructed, the competitors could handle it, but then you add the weather of the one place in Russia that actually doesn't get snow naturally, well, you get these terrible conditions.

I never understood why the last two Winter Olympics were in the only places in their host countries that don't get snow. Vancouver in Canada, and now Sochi in Russia.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think if it was just the course being poorly constructed, the competitors could handle it, but then you add the weather of the one place in Russia that actually doesn't get snow naturally, well, you get these terrible conditions.

I never understood why the last two Winter Olympics were in the only places in their host countries that don't get snow. Vancouver in Canada, and now Sochi in Russia.

Big cities near tall enough mountains for downhill competitions. So it really limits your choices and you don't want to keep going back to the same few spots so you expand the pool a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad