Rumor: Sobotka + other blues

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
These are the players I could see being moved.

Sobotka
Berglund
Gunnersson
Bouwmeester?
Stastny?

More like
Stastny(only if extension isn't likely)
Sobotka
Brodziak(pending UFA)
Upshall(pending UFA)
Jaskin
Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester(we can't afford to move both with Edmundson and Bortuzzo on IR, plus Bouwmeester has a NTC)
Hutton(pending UFA)

Berglund has a NMC for this season(specifically to keep him from being in the expansion draft)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What’s the price on getting Gunnarsson back on the Leafs?
2nd round pick would probably be the ask, maybe a small +

FWIW I doubt we move Gunnar with Edmundson out for several more weeks.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
What would LA need to add to toffoli to interest the blues in parting ways with tarasenko, or is it a no go?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
More like
Stastny(only if extension isn't likely)
Sobotka
Brodziak(pending UFA)
Upshall(pending UFA)
Jaskin
Gunnarsson or Bouwmeester(we can't afford to move both with Edmundson and Bortuzzo on IR, plus Bouwmeester has a NTC)
Hutton(pending UFA)

Berglund has a NMC for this season(specifically to keep him from being in the expansion draft)
Man I sure hope we capitalize and get a 6th rounder for Upshall instead of letting him walk!

No. We don't need to move 4th-line types. Move out some guys that will actually do something to shake up the team.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What would LA need to add to toffoli to interest the blues in parting ways with tarasenko, or is it a no go?
That’s a no go. Very much a no go. I’ll just leave it there because I don’t want to be rude or throw some insulting proposal at you.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Man I sure hope we capitalize and get a 6th rounder for Upshall instead of letting him walk!

No. We don't need to move 4th-line types. Move out some guys that will actually do something to shake up the team.

Disagree, Brodz and Upshall need to be shopped. Admittedly, I don't think we get much for them, but it clears up spots for younger, faster players(Musil, Blais, Sundqvist) and changes the vocal dynamic in the room. Brodz and Upshall have been here for years now and they are part of the veteran leadership group that needs some head banging. May not be the kind of "impact move" people want, but it's the kind of moves that shake up a lockerroom.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Disagree, Brodz and Upshall need to be shopped. Admittedly, I don't think we get much for them, but it clears up spots for younger, faster players(Musil, Blais, Sundqvist) and changes the vocal dynamic in the room. Brodz and Upshall have been here for years now and they are part of the veteran leadership group that needs some head banging. May not be the kind of "impact move" people want, but it's the kind of moves that shake up a lockerroom.
Only problem with that is Sundqvist hasn't been that good, Musil hasn't shown he's NHL ready, and Blais looks okay but I don't think being on the 4th line with those guys is going to help him progress much. So that's not something I'd consider rolling with this year.

I actually wouldn't be too upset seeing Upshall go because I think he may be one of those guys in it for the lifestyle, but I like Brodziak. He's a strong veteran presence on this team and does his job very well. I'd keep him as the anchor for that 4th line and rotate guys around him as you see fit.

If we can work on getting Sobotka and/or Berglund out of here and improve the 3rd line, I think the 4th line will fall into place.

Reactions: Weiss1604

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I can't argue with that in general. But Brodziak is one of the players whose effort and overall game I don't question, especially relative to his role. He's been one of the most consistent players on the team and is one of a few guys who has actually upped his game whenever he's been moved up the lineup. I have to wonder if you're going to ship someone out to shake things up, should it be a player like that to send a bigger message to the underachievers, or does it make more sense to trade an underachiever as a clear example of what won't be tolerated? I already greatly question the media and fan "leadership" narrative, so even if we're committing to moves for morale purposes, I don't know how we settle on what approach works for a successful shake-up.

On that subject, if leadership really is so important, why don't we hear more cohesive stories from former players about a good lockerroom turning bad or a bad lockerroom turning good? It doesn't need to be some gossipy scoop with specific names, but at least something concrete. The more media obsesses over this concept of stoic traditionalist leadership, the fewer details we get about what that actually means for a room full of professionals who are mostly adults and should damnwell know what to do on the ice.

It's possible that there's simply great parity in the league, so confidence is a bigger factor than ever. The Blues looked lost when February rolled around last year, too, but then Yeo took over, Allen stood on his head, and the Blues got a lot of depth support out of nowhere. Berglund, Barbashev, Sanford, and Paajarvi did some real lifting. Is that confidence down to leadership? Is it coaching? Is it just the goaltending?
It seems like the fact that they keep going back to Allen means that Yeo thinks solving that puzzle is ultimately more important than starting the guy who is actually performing. Maybe he's right, but maybe the message the players get from that is that they sink or swim with their goalie, so it doesn't matter how they play. We can rationalize our way into almost any criticism in this situation.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
The Blues need to re-tool, not rebuild. At least 4 of these guys need to be gone next season.
Sobotka
Berglund
Stastny
Bouwmeester
Gunnarsson
Steen

All pretty good players but ones that I'd be willing to move.

The Blues could drop all these guys, sign a big name like Tavares, and then bring up a bunch of their prospects next season

Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Kostin-Thomas-Kyrou
Jaskin-Barbashev-Soshnikov/Sanford (maybe re-sign Upshall)

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Walman-Schmaltz (or sign a cheap veteran 3rd pairing left-side D-man)

Husso/Allen
Hutton (have to re-sign)

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
The Blues need to re-tool, not rebuild. At least 4 of these guys need to be gone next season.
Sobotka
Berglund
Stastny
Bouwmeester
Gunnarsson
Steen

All pretty good players but ones that I'd be willing to move.

The Blues could drop all these guys, sign a big name like Tavares, and then bring up a bunch of their prospects next season

Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Kostin-Thomas-Kyrou
Jaskin-Barbashev-Soshnikov/Sanford (maybe re-sign Upshall)

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Parayko
Walman-Schmaltz (or sign a cheap veteran 3rd pairing left-side D-man)

Husso/Allen
Hutton (have to re-sign)

I'm sure Armstrong would be extremely comfortable starting 6 players that have less than 25 games of NHL experience next year.....

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad