Rumor: Sobotka + other blues

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I loved Sobotka before he left. Great player. What happened? Did he come back not the same?

Basically, yes. He appears to be trying to play more of a puck-carrying playmaker style, but he's just not good enough (and never has been). He had back injuries while he was away. I don't know how much that is affecting him, but he definitely looks like a guy who doesn't want to be involved in a big hit or get caught reaching - so he kinda gives up on pucks that are just a hair worse than 50/50 if it means he might meet with another player at speed near the boards.

He's a capable player who might even be able to play in a good top 6 on the right line, but he's getting exposed on the Blues. His defense isn't as good as it was when he played mean and he's under too much pressure to create offensively. Too often, he just holds onto the puck until he loses it (especially on the powerplay) or fires a mediocre shot the goalie has had forever to prepare for.

He looks like a guy playing for a paycheck and would rather score than win, but isn't even good at scoring.

Last edited:

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I loved Sobotka before he left. Great player. What happened? Did he come back not the same?
I don't think he ever wanted to come back to the Blues. He left because he felt insulted by the Blues offer and the was forced to play for the Blues if he wanted to continue his NHL career. I think he also may believe he has a little more talent than he does. Either way I think he has wanted away from the Blues since before he left for the KHL.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't think he ever wanted to come back to the Blues. He left because he felt insulted by the Blues offer and the was forced to play for the Blues if he wanted to continue his NHL career. I think he also may believe he has a little more talent than he does. Either way I think he has wanted away from the Blues since before he left for the KHL.

You are spot on with the he thinks he has more skill than he does. The other I'm not sure so much about that. I do think that he believes he is a top 6 winger as opposed to a good 3c which is what he is.

Fwiw he was demoted to our 4th line tonight, which at this point it doesn't really matter who is on what line. If Jake Allen is in net none of them can score.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
He's useful and a fun player to watch, but he has a low offensive ceiling. I got to think Steens and Bergys contracts are nonstarters for a lot of teams, if the blues want to free some cap space up front it probably has to be Sobotka.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That is a bit extreme

I'm not superstitious, so I think the franchise is safe :). I do, however, feel the franchise has abit too much of a player friendly side to it. If they're not out to win the Cup, and winning the Cup has not been a priority for this team since... ever, I wouldn't waste my time being a fan of theirs.

You look at Nashville and even Vegas and see the difference. The Blues don't have a problem with talent, they got plenty of it. What they got a problem with is follow-through and heart. Especially heart.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Trading players won't solve the problem, you got a moron as a coach and a GM who is incapable of taking a team beyond a full rebuild and into the playoffs. Hiring Yeo was the greatest mistake this Blues group ever did and Stillman is a moron for this. Hitchcock wasn't the answer, but he ran his system tight and the Blues had one of the best D teams, granted at the expense of offense, but still the team was formidable.

Yeo can not run Offense, can not run Defense and giving him a multi-year contract should have gotten Army fired on the spot. You can trade this entire team off or sell the farm and build up this team at the TDL and the result would be the same.

The culture of the Blues is flat out trash; this team does enough to make the playoffs and then it's pure luck and talent that gets them any further. Stillman is following the same routes that just about every owner outside the Lauries has and it's surprising that this team even has fans anymore. There is no commitment to winning the Cup, there is no drive or desire to it and it shows on the ice. I don't give a damn what an individual player, coach or GM says in any interview, you show that desire on the ice, not in words. Blues fans deserve far better than this team gives.

Stillman has shown he's incompetant for keeping Army and even moreso for signing Yeo for as long as he has. If you're not building TO WIN the Cup or signing money names to WIN the Cup and you're not making the Cup THE priority, then why the hell have an NHL franchise? Look at Nashville and how they approach it, THAT is how you do it.

If I was superstitious, I'd say a move to Baltimore (the city that actually put in a bid and was to be awarded the franchise until the Wirtz family threw them under the bus) might undo this madness.
Sorry, but if there's one person i won't blame for this shit show it's Stillman. He's told Armstrong to do whatever it takes. The owner can't do everything. At least we don't have a owner like the Sens. (Sorry Sens fans)

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Sorry, but if there's one person i won't blame for this **** show it's Stillman. He's told Armstrong to do whatever it takes. The owner can't do everything. At least we don't have a owner like the Sens. (Sorry Sens fans)

Stillman kept Army when it was beyond obvious that Army had taken them as far as he could. That's enough for me. OKing Mike Yeo to be signed to a multi-year contract? That puts it over the top. What exactly has Mike Yeo done to deserve that? It was a signing for a Hitchcock-esque coach when it was obvious that style of coaching and play had died out in the 90's. Should I continue?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Stillman kept Army when it was beyond obvious that Army had taken them as far as he could. That's enough for me. OKing Mike Yeo to be signed to a multi-year contract? That puts it over the top.
At the time of signing Blues were a top 5 team in the League. And Army was coming off 2 grand trades that brought in Schenn and Kostin. Yeah, it was probably a premature extension. Still at the time this team was heading in a good direction until multiple injuries hit. Hell, Stillman could be waiting to see what happens between now and the draft before deciding to fire him.

Reactions: Colt55

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I want to see how DA pivots. Will he spend assets to chasee a playoff spot. Will he move a player or two recoup a first round pick for this year. Will armstrong bring up the kids and give them a chance to play this year or will Army just do nothing. We will have to wait and see.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I want to see how DA pivots. Will he spend assets to chasee a playoff spot. Will he move a player or two recoup a first round pick for this year. Will armstrong bring up the kids and give them a chance to play this year or will Army just do nothing. We will have to wait and see.

This is the most even-handed, unbiased opinion I’ve read all night. Thank you

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
A big shakeup trade with a non playoff team wouldn't surprise me. One of the Blues top player for a top player from a non playoff team.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Read this on twitter a bit ago. Hearing Sobotka but not cheap. So my question is; do they mean prospects like Kyrou or Thomas? Or do they mean Sobtka, Parakyo, Allen?

TBH i dont think they trust Allen anymore and Hutton has played far better. Also they are on a 5 game losing skid, cant score and are falling apart at a bad time.

Have at it

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'd be willing to bet that these players are not moved:

Parayko
Pietrangelo
Schenn
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Edmundson
Dunn
Thomas

Likely not but possible: (Hoffman esque aside from Steen, Husso isn't much of a centerpiece but he's a good insurance policy for Allen)

Kyrou
Husso
Thompson
steen
Fabbri
Stastny( I would be okay with them moving him though)

The rest are movable. Including prospects (mainly Walman, Kostin also have Toropchenko, Kaspick etc lesser value prospects)

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Read this on twitter a bit ago. Hearing Sobotka but not cheap. So my question is; do they mean prospects like Kyrou or Thomas? Or do they mean Sobtka, Parakyo, Allen?

TBH i dont think they trust Allen anymore and Hutton has played far better. Also they are on a 5 game losing skid, cant score and are falling apart at a bad time.

Have at it

6 game losing streak :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad