So - where exactly do you see the Canucks in 2-3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I've seen people in this thread refer to Lindenning as bozos.

That's all well and good, but then post your rosters if possible (2-3 years from now). Take into account the prospects that we have, our cap, free agents, and what you think 'Lindenning' would do if they're still here 2-3 years from now.

Sorry, acquisions and signings like sbisa gudbransson eriksson sutter are so stupid that i would need to be hit in the head repeatedly to come up with some options that benning is likely to do

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Complete bollocks.....a rumour created by a bunch of hacks working at CanucksArmy.

Let me guess. The mongloids at CanucksArmy also created this rumour?

Hey if you choose to to close your eyes and ears with respect to a credible publication that's on you. There are plenty of flat earthers out there who do the same.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
All looks correct on paper,but thats not the way to works in reality...We're currently almost at Christmas and we're in a dead heat with Calgary,and whats with the Oilers? (to me,they are a top heavy on the roster,and not the most mobile team).

Jets are looking good this year..Canucks will be looking good in 2 years.

Obviously not how it works in reality, but I was responding to the post which suggested we project the Canucks roster 2-3 years down the road and be amazed at how awesome it is (paraphrasing a bit).

I just picked the Western Canadian teams, but they're at a good point where they're coming out at the same time so it's a fairly safe prediction. Canucks right now would at best catch up to the weakest of the 3, but you have to do far more projection as we'll be relying on a lot more prospects with currently 0 NHL games:

Baesrtchi*-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Pettersson-Dahlin
Virtanen-Gaudette-Eriksson
Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund*
Gagner*
Edler*-Tanev*
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-x
Demko
Markstrom*

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
To me it depends on peterson if hes a 1st line center within 2 years i could see us making the playoffs

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Guys, we have no idea how these picks that currently look bad will turn out. The draft is a total crapshoot! Anything could happen! Who knows!?

But also, our GM is really good because of his drafting.

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hey if you choose to to close your eyes and ears with respect to a credible publication that's on you. There are plenty of flat earthers out there who do the same.

Do a search on Google that says something to the effect of, "Miller for a 9th overall pick."

The only results that come up are from the ballsniffers at Canucks Army. Friedman? McKenzie? Duthie? Nope. Zero. Nadda. Just a bunch of advanced analytic fart lickers at Canucks Army.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If this team continues to suck and can keep failing and Benning can lead them to yet another terrible year or two we should get some very good draft picks for the scouts to save our bacon.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Do a search on Google that says something to the effect of, "Miller for a 9th overall pick."

The only results that come up are from the ballsniffers at Canucks Army. Friedman? McKenzie? Duthie? Nope. Zero. Nadda. Just a bunch of advanced analytic fart lickers at Canucks Army.

Ahh cute, so just come up with childish insults against a credible publication because you don't like that rumour. Yeah that'll show 'em.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Guys, we have no idea how these picks that currently look bad will turn out. The draft is a total crapshoot! Anything could happen! Who knows!?

But also, our GM is really good because of his drafting.

It takes about 3-5 years to really assess whether a draft pick was good or a bust. All we can do is guess. There are no "definitives." I just choose to be optimistic, while many on here choose to have a pessimistic viewpoint.

Also - I'm not a fan of Benning primarily because of his drafting. I'm a fan of Benning and Linden because they know that a true rebuild involves far more than mindless prospect accumulation. A nutless monkey can simply trade vets for picks. A true rebuild is a lot more complex than that. It involves...

1) Having a good mix of vets and youth.
2) Surrounding the youth with vets that have had proven success and/or leadership at the NHL level.
3) Teaching the kids good habits inside and outside of the ice (which is why having the right vets and coaches on the team at every level is so vital).
4) Getting kids to earn their spots rather than having it gifted to them (hence, the need for placeholder vets).
5) Placing kids in roles that will challenge them and force them to grow without over-exerting them and ruining their confidence long term.
6) Creating an environment where the kids are motivated to compete every night.

Benning goes 6/6 with the above.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It takes about 3-5 years to really assess whether a draft pick was good or a bust. All we can do is guess. There are no "definitives." I just choose to be optimistic, while many on here choose to have a pessimistic viewpoint.

Also - I'm not a fan of Benning primarily because of his drafting. I'm a fan of Benning and Linden because they know that a true rebuild involves far more than mindless prospect accumulation. A nutless monkey can simply trade vets for picks. A true rebuild is a lot more complex than that. It involves...

1) Having a good mix of vets and youth.
2) Surrounding the youth with vets that have had proven success and/or leadership at the NHL level.
3) Teaching the kids good habits inside and outside of the ice (which is why having the right vets and coaches on the team at every level is so vital).
4) Getting kids to earn their spots rather than having it gifted to them (hence, the need for placeholder vets).
5) Placing kids in roles that will challenge them and force them to grow without over-exerting them and ruining their confidence long term.
6) Creating an environment where the kids are motivated to compete every night.

Benning goes 6/6 with the above.

This is hilarious.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ahh cute, so just come up with childish insults against a credible publication because you don't like that rumour. Yeah that'll show 'em.

You don't find it at all strange that no one outside of Canucks Army made any mention of Ryan Miller for a 9th overall?

Again - the evidence points to someone at Canucks Army making it up. Likely some teenage blogger at Canucks Army that was bored/angry because his mom took away his video game privileges.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You don't find it at all strange that no one outside of Canucks Army made any mention of Ryan Miller for a 9th overall?

Again - the evidence points to someone at Canucks Army making it up. Likely some teenage blogger at Canucks Army that was bored/angry because his mom took away his video game privileges.

Not strange at all. What are you thinking? That teams just go out to the media and say "yeah we didn't do this trade." Not at all. JD Burke asked someone inside the organization about it and that's what he was told. You have zero evidence that they made this up.

Your last sentence is funny, coming from someone who referred to Canucks Army as "fart lickers." Do you see the irony in that?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sorry, acquisions and signings like sbisa gudbransson eriksson sutter are so stupid that i would need to be hit in the head repeatedly to come up with some options that benning is likely to do

The presence' of Sbisa, Gudbranson, Eriksson, and Sutter gave us the necessary depth to allow our kids in the system to be placed into roles that were suitable for their level (i.e. roles that would challenge said kids but not over-exert them). Without those signings, the lack of depth on the team would have placed those kids into roles which would have been too much for them.........and you would risk damaging their confidence long term.

That's why those signings were necessary, and that's why all/most of those contracts will "coincidentally" expire around 2020/2021 (i.e. when the new 'core' that Benning has been building will be entering their prime years).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The presence' of Sbisa, Gudbranson, Eriksson, and Sutter gave us the necessary depth to allow our kids in the system to be placed into roles that were suitable for their level (i.e. roles that would challenge said kids but not over-exert them). Without those signings, the lack of depth on the team would have placed those kids into roles which would have been too much for them.........and you would risk damaging their confidence long term.

That's why those signings were necessary, and that's why all/most of those contracts will "coincidentally" expire around 2020/2021 (i.e. when the new 'core' that Benning has been building will be entering their prime years).

So what you're saying is signing horrible contracts (Eriksson/Sutter/Sbisa), making bad trades (Gudbranson, Sutter, Sbisa) is good because it means we aren't rushing prospects? Could we not just make smarter signings and sign good contracts instead? Like 2 years ago when I wanted us to sign Jonathan Marchessault? Why does Benning need to sign bad players or bad contracts or make bad trades (trading away youth and picks) for bad hockey players? If he brought in good hockey players then you'd have a better argument.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not strange at all. What are you thinking? That teams just go out to the media and say "yeah we didn't do this trade."

More times than not, the NHL media are quite savvy. Where there is smoke there is usually fire........and where there is a legit rumour, you have all/most of the respectable hockey media (i.e. McKenzie, Freidman, Lebrun, etc.), commenting on it. [MOD] like JD Burke are simply trying to get subscribers by posting outlandish Communist Propaganda and what have you. Again - as an example, take a look at how many 'respectable' hockey news sources are commenting on the Erik Karlsson situation. That's legitimacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Obviously not how it works in reality, but I was responding to the post which suggested we project the Canucks roster 2-3 years down the road and be amazed at how awesome it is (paraphrasing a bit).

I just picked the Western Canadian teams, but they're at a good point where they're coming out at the same time so it's a fairly safe prediction. Canucks right now would at best catch up to the weakest of the 3, but you have to do far more projection as we'll be relying on a lot more prospects with currently 0 NHL games:

Baesrtchi*-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Pettersson-Dahlin
Virtanen-Gaudette-Eriksson
Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund*
Gagner*
Edler*-Tanev*
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-x
Demko
Markstrom*
Picking the Western Canadian teams is a good comparison (although they have all been sucking and building up their prospect pools a lot longer than the Canucks)..Agreed that the Canucks are still catching up,but theres a lot to be positive about.

I am not a fan of 'futurizing' rosters 2 years down the road,and I believe the roster is going to look a fair bit different than the one you have posted..I believe that one of Gadjovich,Lockwood,Lind will be on the roster.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
More times than not, the NHL media are quite savvy. Where there is smoke there is usually fire........and where there is a legit rumour, you have all/most of the respectable hockey media (i.e. McKenzie, Freidman, Lebrun, etc.), commenting on it. [MOD] like JD Burke are simply trying to get subscribers by posting outlandish Communist Propaganda and what have you. Again - as an example, take a look at how many 'respectable' hockey news sources are commenting on the Erik Karlsson situation. That's legitimacy.

Just because you call the editor of a credible sports publication a [MOD] slur doesn't make the rumour any less credible. You seem very defensive over this rumour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Just because you call the editor of a credible sports publication a [MOD] slur doesn't make the rumour any less credible. You seem very defensive over this rumour.

Not defensive. I just find it funny that literally no other source out there made any mention of "Miller for 9th overall." Just some dude named JD Burke who probably works at BC Ferries in his spare time.

I have no reason to be defensive just because it goes against my wishes. Pavel Bure is my favourite player of all-time but back in the 90's when there were rumours that he wanted out, numerous reputable sources were commenting on it....and so there was legitimacy to those rumours.

Reactions: Nomobo

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Where they will be depends on whether Benning can have another strong draft.
If they can draft a good offensive dman that can jump in after 2 years of development next draft, I'd say they are in a great spot but Benning has been hit or very bad misses with drafting

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
It could go either way from here.

We have a number of high potential prospects (Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Demko, Guadette, etc.), some more guys who trying to establish themselves at the NHL level (Virtanen, Goldobin) and a few more seem to be well on their way (Horvat, Boeser, Stecher, Pouliot). We also have decent goal tending and sufficient utility / support players.

But look at Calgary for comparison. In the summer, people were saying they had a top 3 defense with Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie and Hamonic. They have star forwards in Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, some emerging players in Tkachuk and Bennett and some good prospects in Foo, Klimchuck, Valimaki. Mike Smith has stabilized their goalie situtation, so they were expected to be a playoff contender this year, but currently, they are sitting 1 point ahead of the Canucks and 2 pts back of a Wild Card spot.

That said, it's hard not to be excited about the future when you see Boeser on a PPG pace with 17 goals in 30 games, and Pettersson setting the SHL on fire. Juolevi is having a really solid year in Finland and Lind is tearing up the WHL. It's not hard to imagine a very good team with these as the future core.

The biggest threat to the future would be if Benning panicked and signed another aging veteran to a multi-year deal.

Reactions: Nomobo

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Bovinder Horvatji what you are doing, is a ad hominem attack. This usually happens when you cannot find a good enough credible way of attack someones ideas, so instead you attack their character. What it amounts to on paper is that you have lost the plot. Also, you use another fallacy called "Reductio ad absurdum", by comparing JD Burke's work to propaganda like the communist manifesto. These are fallacies, and aren't actual arguments. By using these fallacies to justify your position, your argument loses credibility. You do understand this?

JD Burke has media accreditation with the canucks, to act like it's so monstrously unlikely that he has a source inside the canucks is actually quite naive. Why couldn't someone with a media pass to the canucks, and clear access to other NHL organizations like Florida (previous editor now works for Florida) not have sources inside the Canucks. How is this outlandish?

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
All looks correct on paper,but thats not the way to works in reality...We're currently almost at Christmas and we're in a dead heat with Calgary,and whats with the Oilers? (to me,they are a top heavy on the roster,and not the most mobile team).

Jets are looking good this year..Canucks will be looking good in 2 years.
We'd be looking great now it benny hadn't set us back two+ years.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not defensive. I just find it funny that literally no other source out there made any mention of "Miller for 9th overall." Just some dude named JD Burke who probably works at BC Ferries in his spare time.

I have no reason to be defensive just because it goes against my wishes. Pavel Bure is my favourite player of all-time but back in the 90's when there were rumours that he wanted out, numerous reputable sources were commenting on it....and so there was legitimacy to those rumours.

Why the need to keep making those childish insults?

Like I said, Canucks Army is credible. They have media credentials issued to them by the Canucks. They don't give those out to just anyone, so there is some backing to this. You don't like the rumour because it makes Benning look very bad, and that's difficult for some of his supporters to come to terms with. I get it. I was upset when I found out Santa Clause wasn't real too. We've all been there. But at some point we all have to put our big boy pants on and accept reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad