So - where exactly do you see the Canucks in 2-3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
For me, it all comes down to management. If the same bozos are running the show this team will be exactly in the same situation they're in now. We need competent people with vision to fix what has been horribly mismanaged buy the current regime. Unless change happens in key management positions I don't expect much.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I've seen people in this thread refer to Lindenning as bozos.

That's all well and good, but then post your rosters if possible (2-3 years from now). Take into account the prospects that we have, our cap, free agents, and what you think 'Lindenning' would do if they're still here 2-3 years from now.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

That's all well and good, but then post your rosters if possible (2-3 years from now). Take into account the prospects that we have, our cap, free agents, and what you think 'Lindenning' would do if they're still here 2-3 years from now.

Why?... and don't tell me what to do.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
The thing that bothered me the most about Juolevi was how often he kept getting beat on the outside defensively. His positioning was poor, and was literally being walked around by kids who will never play in the NHL or AHL (or even professional hockey). And if you're that flawed defensively then you better be putting up big points offensively which he was not.
If you haven't seen him play all year and he's in a completely different and far more competitive league and the best defensemen on one of the best teams in that league, then how relevant are your impressions of how he played in the CHL?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If you haven't seen him play all year and he's in a completely different and far more competitive league and the best defensemen on one of the best teams in that league, then how relevant are your impressions of how he played in the CHL?

Very relevant, considering that’s how he performed in his Draft +1 year (not a hypothetical situation, but an actual impression) and it was on an NHL sized ice surface.

How relevant is his performance on a larger ice surface compared to what he’s done on an NHL size surface?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Pointless exercise as we have no idea what players are set to become free agents, or what trades may be made. This isn’t NHL2K18 where you can just do whatever you want without consequence either.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Also, calling Lindenning Bozos does not imply that someone does not think that they themselves are Bozos in terms of hockey management. You can express dissatisfaction with/criticism of something without being capable of doing the same thing yourself. Just like you can reasonably find certain doctors incompetent and irresponsible without being able to do the work yourself. It's a silly point to make.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The only reason why the Eriksson and Sutter contracts might not hurt this team until they are done is because Linden and Benning screwed up this team so badly that it takes that long to fix it. Then yes both those guys and are part of that problem.

It has been said over and over again. How much better does this team look with Ehlers/Nylander, and McCann and Tkachuk? maybe they have something for trading Bonino last season too. We would be in a much better spot. We are hoping Petterson becomes as good as Nylander. Yes so far he looks like he will be, but we could have had one already.

It's been just so terrible you can't say anything to try and make it sound good.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It has been said over and over again. How much better does this team look with Ehlers/Nylander, and McCann and Tkachuk?

It's also been said over and over again that drafts are often a crap-shoot, and that it's unreasonable to expect a GM will be correct 100% of the time. If it makes you "feel better", then why not think along these lines?

Boeser is as good or better than Ehlers/Nylander
Tryamkin is as good or better than Tkachuk (and he's STILL Canucks property).
McCann hasn't done JACK at the NHL level as of this writing.
Baertschi is better than the 2nd rounder that we gave up.

Boom, problem solved. Estrogen levels lowered.

Reactions: billvanseattle

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It's also been said over and over again that drafts are often a crap-shoot, and that it's unreasonable to expect that a GM will be correct 100% of the time. If it makes you "feel better", then why not think along these lines?

Tryamkin is as good or better than Tkachuk.

Except Tryamkin isn’t as good or better than Tkachuk nor is he playing for us in the NHL.

Shame, I really had hoped you’d solved this one. Better luck next time.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's also been said over and over again that drafts are often a crap-shoot, and that it's unreasonable to expect a GM will be correct 100% of the time. If it makes you "feel better", then why not think along these lines?

LOL what the f*** is this?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
LOL what the **** is this?

Have you seen the type of season that Tree is having in the K? The dude's lighting it up and has clearly taken the next step. Vancouver Canucks: Nikita Tryamkin fits Travis Green’s system

Tryamkin is still Canucks property and Benning will qualify him in the Summer. Given how great Tryamkin has been, and given that the NHL is still the "place to be", there is an excellent chance that Tryamkin will return to the NHL and be Canucks property. Tryamkin has stated that he loves the city, and the previous coaching staff is no longer here. If Tryamkin still wants to be traded, then we will get fair value for the guy. So yes - I still think we can count Tryamkin here. Or are you debating as to whether Tryamkin has as much value as Tkachuk (i.e. the dude with only 6 goals this season........the same amount as your favourite player Markus Granlund ;)).

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

So you would rather have two of those players than all of them?

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So you would rather have two of those players than all of them?

No.

All I'm saying is that drafts are a crap shoot and that it's unreasonable to expect a GM to make the correct decision 100% of the time. We also can't fully assess draft picks until a reasonable amount of years have passed (2/3 is still too early).

So far? Yeah - I think most of us would agree that Ehlers/Nylander would have been a better pick than Virtanen, and that Tkachuk has developed much faster than Juolevi. But - if you're going to give it one way, why not give it the other way as well?

I've yet to see the anti-Benning crowd on here give Benning props for his selections of Boeser and Tryamkin (in comparison to some of the other players that other teams selected around that area).

And again - all of this talk about "who's better than who" is moot right now because you can't accurately assess how picks turn out until years down the road. For all we know - Juolevi turns out better than Tkachuk. For all we know, Virtanen becomes a late bloomer. For all we know - one of the players that another team selected around the area that we drafted Boeser/Tryamkin, becomes better than those guys.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Have you seen the type of season that Tree is having in the K? The dude's lighting it up and has clearly taken the next step. Vancouver Canucks: Nikita Tryamkin fits Travis Green’s system

Tryamkin is still Canucks property and Benning will qualify him in the Summer. Given how great Tryamkin has been, and given that the NHL is still the "place to be", there is an excellent chance that Tryamkin will return to the NHL and be Canucks property. Tryamkin has stated that he loves the city, and the previous coaching staff is no longer here. If Tryamkin still wants to be traded, then we will get fair value for the guy. So yes - I still think we can count Tryamkin here. Or are you debating as to whether Tryamkin has as much value as Tkachuk (i.e. the dude with only 6 goals this season........the same amount as your favourite player Markus Granlund ;)).

Tkachuk is on a 50 point pace again and just turned 20 years old. He's also an elite puck possession player. He's a 1st line agitating winger/elite 2nd liner already.

Tryamkin walked out on this team because he doesn't want to be here anymore. He didn't like the city of Vancouver and said it smelled like weed, in an interview.

But hey, you think Benning is a good GM so I doubt we'll get far discussing the facts.

Reactions: racerjoe

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Post up your own 2-3 year projection team, then try and consider how it stacks up against the 2-3 year projection of our competition. Example with Western Canda:

Gaudreau-Monahan-x
Tkachuk-Backlund*-Frolik
Jankowski-Bennet-Brouwer
Lazar-x-Ferland*
Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Andersson-Stone
x
x

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Benson-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Khaira-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-x-Slepyshev
Klefborn-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Sekera-Russel
Talbot*
x

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler*
Petan-Perreaul-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Armia
Morrissey-Trouba
Stanley-Byfuglien
x-x
Hellebuyck
Comrie

What we have isn't going to be enough, unless you could reverse time and swap in Tkachuk and Ehlers.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Tkachuk is on a 50 point pace again and just turned 20 years old. He's also an elite puck possession player. He's a 1st line agitating winger/elite 2nd liner already.

Tryamkin walked out on this team because he doesn't want to be here anymore. He didn't like the city of Vancouver and said it smelled like weed, in an interview.

But hey, you think Benning is a good GM so I doubt we'll get far discussing the facts.
He’ll be back. He never said that he doesn’t want to come back. Assessing that or city smells like pot isn’t wrong, because it does. I used to be angry at his decision, but in all fairness. It will and has helped his development, getting top line minutes in Russia and a leadership role as opposed to the bottom pair time he was getting here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Post up your own 2-3 year projection team, then try and consider how it stacks up against the 2-3 year projection of our competition. Example with Western Canda:

Gaudreau-Monahan-x
Tkachuk-Backlund*-Frolik
Jankowski-Bennet-Brouwer
Lazar-x-Ferland*
Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Andersson-Stone
x
x

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-x-Slepyshev
Klefborn-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Sekera-Russel
Talbot*
x

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler*
Petan-Perreaul-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Armia
Morrissey-Trouba
Stanley-Byfuglien
x-x
Hellebuyck
Comrie

What we have isn't going to be enough, unless you could reverse time and swap in Tkachuk and Ehlers.
All looks correct on paper,but thats not the way to works in reality...We're currently almost at Christmas and we're in a dead heat with Calgary,and whats with the Oilers? (to me,they are a top heavy on the roster,and not the most mobile team).

Jets are looking good this year..Canucks will be looking good in 2 years.

Reactions: Nomobo

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

Gaudreau-Monahan-x
Tkachuk-Backlund*-Frolik
Jankowski-Bennet-Brouwer
Lazar-x-Ferland*
Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Andersson-Stone
x
x

Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-x-Slepyshev
Klefborn-Larson
Nurse-Benning
Sekera-Russel
Talbot*
x

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler*
Petan-Perreaul-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Armia
Morrissey-Trouba
Stanley-Byfuglien
x-x
Hellebuyck
Comrie

Things will look a lot different in 2-3 years time.

Winnipeg is the only one that looks genuinely scary there going forward. Edmonton has Edmonton problems that will probably continue with their arguably worse than ours management, development and cap structure. Calgary are still struggling to find a goalie for the long term, their best defenceman is 34 and they already have a bit of a pick deficit going forward. Equally either of the Alberta teams could unearth a few more good kids and we fail to.

I don't think we come off too badly in comparison, given that we're still in the 'bottom out' phase, and those teams are, or at least should be, in the 'rising up too the playoffs phase'. I'd be betting one or two of those rebuilds falls flat on its face (i'll be really shitty if Edmonton picks higher than us though)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Igor Eronko✔@IgorEronko
Tryamkin meant it was a big surprise for him that smoking weed is so OK & popular in Vancouver. He actually liked the city and the fans
4:17 PM - Sep 24, 2017

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I don't even know where to start with this post... sure no GM is better, but the board has drafted much better than Benning... is that not scary?

Wouldn't it be great to have Bo between Boeser and Nylander/Ehlers? What was to stop that?
Wouldn't it be great if our management and coaching didn't drive one Russian to leave?
Wouldn't it be great to have Tkachuck and Tryamkin?
Wouldn't it be great if people looked at our prospects most who haven't done JACK at the NHL level and realized only a few will?
Wouldn't it be great to have McCann right now when we have all this centre depth issues?
Wouldn't it be great if there was more than one thing on your list we didn't have to choose between?

Maybe if you stopped pumping yourself with whatever your Avatar must have taken you wouldn't need to regulate your Estrogen levels.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don't even know where to start with this post... sure no GM is better, but the board has drafted much better than Benning... is that not scary?

Wouldn't it be great to have Bo between Boeser and Nylander/Ehlers? What was to stop that?
Wouldn't it be great if our management and coaching didn't drive one Russian to leave?
Wouldn't it be great to have Tkachuck and Tryamkin?
Wouldn't it be great if people looked at our prospects most who haven't done JACK at the NHL level and realized only a few will?
Wouldn't it be great to have McCann right now when we have all this centre depth issues?
Wouldn't it be great if there was more than one thing on your list we didn't have to choose between?

Maybe if you stopped pumping yourself with whatever your Avatar must have taken you wouldn't need to regulate your Estrogen levels.

Translation: Wouldn't it be great if we had Biff Tannen's Sports Almanac so that we could make the correct decision 100% of the time? :wtf:

And no - outside of the 1st round where Benning and this board likely went 50/50 (Elias Petterrsson says hi by the way......and gives his best regards to Cody Glass and Cale Makar), Benning absolutely annihilated this board with his picks from 2-7. Go ahead - do the research - search is your friend.

The proof is in the pudding bucko. Look at our bloody prospect pool and you tell me if you aren't impressed with what we have, compared to what we had when Benning got here. Jog on scopey.

Reactions: Nomobo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Translation: Wouldn't it be great if we had Biff Tannen's Sports Almanac so that we could make the correct decision 100% of the time? :wtf:

And no - outside of the 1st round where Benning and this board likely went 50/50 (Elias Petterrsson says hi by the way......and gives his best regards to Cody Glass and Cale Makar), Benning absolutely annihilated this board with his picks from 2-7. Go ahead - do the research - search is your friend.

The proof is in the pudding bucko. Look at our bloody prospect pool and you tell me if you aren't impressed with what we have, compared to what we had when Benning got here. Jog on scopey.

Impressed? Not at all. Not compared to what we could have had, especially if Benning didn't turn down a 9th overall pick for Ryan Miller, and wouldn't have done the Gudbranson trade. In addition to having Ehlers and Tkachuk over Virtanen and Juolevi we would also likely have Barzal and DeBrincat (who reportedly our scouts liked).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad