So what happens if this team is actually bad?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That's a ringing endorsement. You aren't the only one that thinks so highly of him either. Still would like to see his numbers improve a bit, but his skating and shot look excellent. He's got the size and if his compete-level is what you say it is, he could be something. How about his hockey sense? Could that be a factor? Whenever I see only 4 assists, I question the grey matter. Any cause to question his toolbox?

It's more about him playing on an under-performing Frontenacs than anything else in my opinion. I mean you could question it without having seen him play, but he's good at distributing the puck by all means.
Marner>Crouse ;)

We'll see in June and beyond :)

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It's more about him playing on an under-performing Frontenacs than anything else in my opinion. I mean you could question it without having seen him play, but he's good at distributing the puck by all means.

We'll see in June and beyond :)

I have to say I was quite impressed with Crouse the other night against the Knights. Kind of reminds me of Val out there to be quite honest.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Argh, there are teams that are unexpectedly good (ex.Flames and so on) in the top 6, while teams that are fighting for the wild card are likely going to be high profile teams (Kings, Wild, Avs, Sharks)...

This team needs to turn things around...QUICK.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wouldn't say no to a Nikolaj Ehlers

That's the spirit! If we stay in top 10, it's money. If we can get into the top 5...watch out!

I was going through the draft rankings on a surface level with Satan a day or two ago and really the top 15 even looks solid as hell. I really think the whole 1st Round is stacked....if we can just nab another 1st Rounder, that would be awesome.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
For a mid to low 1st round pick probably Goliogksi or Cody Eakin.

I don't think either nets you a 1st. Eakin is a 3rd line center on a good team, Goligoski is a #4 D on a good team IMO. You might have to ship out a couple players at once and eat some of the contract to get a 1st. Daley + Eakin + retained salary for a 1st? I dunno. Bigs? What do you think it would take to get an additional mid-to-late 1st? Maybe Ritchie + 3rd? The cost might be more than it's worth.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Goligoski could probably get a 1st rounder at the deadline. Prices fluctuate but a team could see him as a good addition to their Cup run at a specialty position.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Prices do fluctuate. Caps gave a ton for a center one year, which didn't work out, sort of chilling the market. Avs seemed to bring in a vet every year and finally won a Cup with Bourque.

For comparisons on Eakin, we gave a second and prospect for a more grizzled Stu Barnes back in 2000. Forgot what we gave for Willie Mitchell, but seemed like a first was involbed in a bigger deal.

I agree either would need some adds and/or pick swaps to get a first in this draft.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Goligoski gets you a mid-low first round pick at minimum, absolutely. As much as we hate on him for being weak defensively, he is still a guy who can put up 50ish points. He just needs a strong defensive partner.

Eakin gets you at least an early second rounder...but there's absolutely no chance he gets traded straight up for a draft pick. A young, cost-controlled, two-way RFA center who can put up 30 points from the third line. Even in the 2015 draft, the chance of a second rounder developing into what Eakin already is -- not that great.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...&sort=winPctOutshootOpponent&viewName=summary

I'm going to go ahead and assume it's downright embarrassing to have a .100 winning % when outshooting your opponent. :help:

Going by these numbers, statistically Dallas has been more successful when being outshot.

Scoring first doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Man, that's some depressing reality right there.

Worst GA/G in the entire league, too. But we already knew that.

EDIT: Just noticed that Buffalo has yet to lose a game when outshooting their opponent. No other team can boast this. :laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Goligoski could probably get a 1st rounder at the deadline. Prices fluctuate but a team could see him as a good addition to their Cup run at a specialty position.

Maybe, but the junk that changed hands last deadline has to be concerning. Prices were awful. If it's like two years ago ... you could be in business.

The reason I think you don't get the first is the best teams in the league ... the Boston's and Chicago's ... very well could throw first round picks around since the Cap over the summer could destroy their team. You could see some high end teams "going for it" because of that. They won't be using those for high priced veterans with term remaining ... almost no chance.

The middle of the pack teams are going to be extremely reluctant to give up first round picks. Regardless of the quality of this draft which is said to be great ... its clear for multiple years now that it's much, much harder to get that first.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Prices do fluctuate. Caps gave a ton for a center one year, which didn't work out, sort of chilling the market. Avs seemed to bring in a vet every year and finally won a Cup with Bourque.

For comparisons on Eakin, we gave a second and prospect for a more grizzled Stu Barnes back in 2000. Forgot what we gave for Willie Mitchell, but seemed like a first was involbed in a bigger deal.

I agree either would need some adds and/or pick swaps to get a first in this draft.

Trades from 2000 literally couldn't mean less to today's league. You're talking about an era where teams were bought, and drafting and picks weren't as important as they are today.

Trades from even 5 years ago almost mean nothing for the most part. The value of picks has skyrocketed and they only continue to rise.

I think you'd actually get better than just a 2nd for Eakin, but my point is just to say it really doesn't matter who got what. Kyle Quincey was traded for 1st round pick 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe it was only 3. We all know Nagy got one too. Once you start pushing out past a couple years, it's hard to really compare these moves.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
A 1st for Goligoski? What? Wouldn't that imply that he's a good defenseman?

Prices are high because defensemen are scarce, and he's going to wind up with 40 points this year like he does every year. That's valuable to somebody.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
A 1st for Goligoski? What? Wouldn't that imply that he's a good defenseman?

I don't think he'll get it, but in the worst trade deadline I can honestly remember ....

New York Islanders traded Andrew MacDonald to the Philadelphia Flyers for a third-round draft pick in 2014, a second-round draft pick in 2015 and Matt Mangene.

That was for 40 days on the roster and didn't include another year on his contract.

The deadline before that, Bouwmeester did get a conditional first with a year remaining on his contract.

Calgary Flames traded Jay Bouwmeester to the St. Louis Blues for a conditional first-round pick in 2013, Mark Cundari and Reto Berra.

It's unlikely (just so few are traded) but not impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad