So the feeling of this board is???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Mountaineers said:
The lack of concern in the US should be a wake up call to this league and it's players- things need to be fixed not broken.

Losing the season would be devastating for the league. Most Americans are somewhere between "couldn't care less" and "hockey strike? -hadn't noticed..."

Would it though? Relatively speaking, no one in the US cared about the league when they were playing, so the fact no one cares now really doesn't mean that much. The casual sports fan already ignores hockey. So really, they have nothing to lose. When you're already at rock bottom, there's nowhere to fall.

I don't think an extended lockout is going to have a big impact in the US. Those Americans who are currently hockey fans are extremely dedicated. They have to be, with being so ignored media wise. They have to go out of their way to see games, hear games, read about them, talk about them, etc. The vast majority of them will be back, just like Canadians will be.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
PecaFan said:
Would it though? Relatively speaking, no one in the US cared about the league when they were playing, so the fact no one cares now really doesn't mean that much. The casual sports fan already ignores hockey. So really, they have nothing to lose. When you're already at rock bottom, there's nowhere to fall.

I don't think an extended lockout is going to have a big impact in the US. Those Americans who are currently hockey fans are extremely dedicated. They have to be, with being so ignored media wise. They have to go out of their way to see games, hear games, read about them, talk about them, etc. The vast majority of them will be back, just like Canadians will be.

Great post!

Hopefully the end result of the lockout will mean small market teams will be able to compete on footing with the larger ones. The best thing that can happen out of this lockout is maybe the NHL will go back to it's roots, and relocate the Carolina's and Anaheim's of the league to places where the community cares about them. I could name a few places, but just looking at my avator will give away one of them.. :)

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Thunderstruck said:
The NHLPA will kick and scream after tomorrow's meeting.

When all their posturing is finished and they sit down for their scheduled meeting, they'll have to ask themselves if their "no cap" stance is worth a season or more.

We won't know till after Christmas if the players will come to their senses, but considering how poorly they have been advised so far, I expect them to continue with their poorly designed strategy that is costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars they will never recoup.

I agree .
kick and scream over the xmas/new years holidays , then , come to the realization that the owners want a cap and are willing to go as long as it takes to get one .

so , are they any further ahead wasting the entire season when the inevitable will occur in Sept 05 ?

thats what they have to come to terms with over the xmas holidays

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
PecaFan said:

Totally agree. Can't kill what isn't there... and you can't kill diehard hockey fans! Although Trevor " I just don't understand " Linden is working on it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad