So the feeling of this board is???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Well, I think most of us are being realistic.

Throwing money back at the owners was a good idea, but the problem is that even with the proposed luxary tax, they owners are going to find themselves back here again in a few years.

Less cash, more tax, that's the only way out of this situation.

Too low a tax, the owners will balk.

Too high a tax and the players will balk that it's a defacto cap.

There is middle ground somewhere I'm sure, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
I don't know. It might be good for management to offer a high (relatively) luxury tax level and adjust of the rest of the stuff to their liking and stick with that for a while. I think they could still eventually get impasse off of differing luxury tax levels. I question if applicable teams are prepared to pay such a tax. I certainly don't expect them to accept the offer as it is. Maybe they accept the 1st 3 years as a phasing in period contingent upon the acceptance of a nine year extension with an 150% tax starting at 30 million which has annual adjustment of the threshold to 50% of league revenues, and the rest of the stuff adjusted to their liking. Anyway, if it was me, I would consider that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm pessimistic about tomorrow, but I am still optimistic that a deal will be reached before the season is cancelled.

Despite the rhetoric and ultimatums being flung about by both sides, I think their 'final' offers are yet to come. They're not done dancing yet.

The way I see it...after the initial shock and perhaps euphoria of the NHLPA's attempted bribe wore off, the owners shook away the cobwebs and are now ready to return fire. It'll be highly entertaining to see what transpires tomorrow.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
chiavsfan said:
Optimism about tomorrows talks? I don't think so...it seems that pessimism is all over the place...so why are we are we all pessimistic? It just seems like nothing will ever resolve this...and it seems that players and owners a like didn't like the latest PA proposal.

pessimism.I don't see the owners accepting a deal without some kind of cap.I would be surprised if we get nhl games this season.

swflyers8*

I would love to see a season but I just don't see it happening. The players offer does ok...for now. Few years from now it will be back to high priced players again.

The only way I could see a season happening is if the owners seriously re-tooled the players proposal and it having more of an effect.

Face it folks, there will be no hockey this year and that my friends sucks! :banghead:

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
TexSen said:
ambiv........

hell, I'm too disinterested to even spell the word.

:lol:
HA HA HA HA HA HA

But seriously, until the owners can keep their wallets in their pants nothing but a cap with serious overspending repurcussions will suffice.

It's funny (but not in a ha-ha way) how the shrewd, cost-cutting measures and careful analysis that put most of these guys in positions to buy teams goes out the window when they do.

Iceman23

Dec 26, 2003
Season's deader than a doornail. Watch the WJC as much as you can because it'll be the most hockey we see until the World Championships.

SENSible1*

The NHLPA will kick and scream after tomorrow's meeting.

When all their posturing is finished and they sit down for their scheduled meeting, they'll have to ask themselves if their "no cap" stance is worth a season or more.

We won't know till after Christmas if the players will come to their senses, but considering how poorly they have been advised so far, I expect them to continue with their poorly designed strategy that is costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars they will never recoup.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
We will play hockey this season. Remember in 1994, there were proposal rejections from both sides around this time of year. Then, the players and the owners finally started to negotiate. I think Bettman will unveil a hybrid system tommorow, something with a luxury tax, and a severe penalty, and then a hard ceiling at around 50 million.

The PA will most likely reject any offer that has any type of cap in it, but I really believe the owners of some profitable teams will see the detriments of cancelling and entire season, and will lobby against that when the time to flush the season is upon them. As for the PA, I think the players aren't finished offering proposals, thats just posturing. All of this "last proposal" stuff is just rhetoric.

To be forward, the PA will start to make some significant concessions regarding to systemic issues before this season is washed away, therefore creating the basis for a new CBA. This is all just my opinion, and my prediction, and god I hope I'm right.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
HungryforHockey25 said:
I would love to see a season but I just don't see it happening. The players offer does ok...for now. Few years from now it will be back to high priced players again.

The only way I could see a season happening is if the owners seriously re-tooled the players proposal and it having more of an effect.

Face it folks, there will be no hockey this year and that my friends sucks! :banghead:

If the duration of this CBA is kept short, that might not be a bad thing. Get some concessions from the players now, then work on getting more concessions from them a few years down the road. Nickle and dime the NHLPA to where you want them over a few CBAs instead of just going for a killing blow now. Who knows, they could even stumble across a system that does what they want and not have to wreck the league to get it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Thunderstruck said:
We won't know till after Christmas if the players will come to their senses.

When Mike Modano's poddle wanders up the Christmas tree on Christmas morn and finds only a squeaky toy from Walmart and 1 pound of dog meat instead of its usual hand crafted gold plated chew toy from Versache and 3 pounds of imported French pate, it'll look up at Mike with disappointment and heartbreak in its big brown eyes. Mike's resolves will meltaway. No CBA is worth such sorry and pain. He and fight for the players to rejoin on the owners terms. Its just not worth the pain and suffering he'll say to the fellow players.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
me2 said:
When Mike Modano's poddle wanders up the Christmas tree on Christmas morn and finds only a squeaky toy from Walmart and 1 pound of dog meat instead of its usual hand crafted gold plated chew toy from Versache and 3 pounds of imported French pate, it'll look up at Mike with disappointment and heartbreak in its big brown eyes. Mike's resolves will meltaway. No CBA is worth such sorry and pain. He and fight for the players to rejoin on the owners terms. Its just not worth the pain and suffering he'll say to the fellow players.

:lol: :lol

I am very pessimistic as well as completely disgusted. Players & owners can both go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
BMC said:
:lol: :lol

I am very pessimistic as well as completely disgusted. Players & owners can both go to hell as far as I am concerned.

That's how I'm feeling today too. There is common ground here, people just need to want to find it. :mad:

myrocketsgotcracked

Winger98 said:
If the duration of this CBA is kept short, that might not be a bad thing. Get some concessions from the players now, then work on getting more concessions from them a few years down the road. Nickle and dime the NHLPA to where you want them over a few CBAs instead of just going for a killing blow now. Who knows, they could even stumble across a system that does what they want and not have to wreck the league to get it.

i dont want to go through with a lock out every 5 or so years.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Optomism. I think the NHLPA is prepared to accept a cap.

And before anyone can do it. :lol:

-beat you to the punch.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
It will get done soon - maybe not tomorrow but before Christmas.

The lack of concern in the US should be a wake up call to this league and it's players- things need to be fixed not broken.

Losing the season would be devastating for the league. Most Americans are somewhere between "couldn't care less" and "hockey strike? -hadn't noticed..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad