Line Combos: So right now, what even are our lines?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wheres Barron?
Where is the spot for him if we know that Gallant doesn’t want to play kids on Line 4 ? There isn’t a center spot for him (yet) and there definitely isn’t a LW spot for him either.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
In the comments below the lines. Rooney has a year left. If Barron forces his way on in camp, that's great. I'm all for it. I won't cry about Rooney not being a regular. If Barron can't force the issue in camp than he only has a year to wait. Spot is his to inherit.

I like Barron, but it's not exactly a MUST that he be on this roster this year. If he shows that it is a must in camp, that's awesome. But if not, him getting ~30 games as the first injury call up and waiting for Rooney's deal to expire isn't the end of the world.

Barron Jones Schneider Robertson Cuylle Richards Reunanaen all being in Hartford together under Knoblauch for a year will pay dividends for the team down the road. If Pajuniemi & Henriksson join them, even better. Tampa built their pipeline of depth by developing guys in Syracuse

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Barron Jones Schneider Robertson Cuylle Richards Reunanaen all being in Hartford together under Knoblauch for a year will pay dividends for the team down the road. If Pajuniemi & Henriksson join them, even better. Tampa built their pipeline of depth by developing guys in Syracuse
Don't think Cuylle will be able to be in Hartford next year.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Laf - Chytil - Goodrow
Reavers - Rooney - Blais

At least for the start. Kreider deserves to be in the top 6. I don’t take his mediocre year during a COVID season that much into account. I think he’ll recover. If he doesn’t, we have options to move him down and use one of the young guys to get bumped up.

Reactions: Narcissus

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I dont think he has much to prove at AHL. It was only 20 or so game but he was at a point per game.

He's the real deal and is flying under the radar because of all of our high profile kids.

I'm not disagreeing, but this is the reality with prospects. He'll get top line minutes in AHL and lots of call-up chances with the big club, but unless he absolutely steals the spot from Rooney in camp, he'll have one more year of call-ups before he's full time. It's just the nature of the game.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If not traded first, Barron will not be waiver eligible, he's not making the NHL team unless they lose forwards by some other trade or by injury. Jones too but on D.

On forwards if unchanged it will come down to which of Hunt or Gauthier to waive. (as in they are not risking losing Rooney to waivers)

Last edited:
Reactions: LokiDog

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Kreider-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kravstov
Laf-Chytil-Goodrow
Blais-Rooney-Reaves/Gauthier/Barron/etc

I really don’t think we’re done. You would think a trade is in the works, but then again we all thought that last week too.

I also don’t think Kreiders spot in the Top 6 is secure if Laf breaks out in a big way.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not disagreeing, but this is the reality with prospects. He'll get top line minutes in AHL and lots of call-up chances with the big club, but unless he absolutely steals the spot from Rooney in camp, he'll have one more year of call-ups before he's full time. It's just the nature of the game.
If we're making lineups based on the current roster, it makes sense. I'm also under the mindset Strome is more than likely moved. I expect more moving parts, as we have too many players at the moment

but I rather have a kid like Barron playing with a Goodrow than getting topline minutes in the AHL.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Where is the spot for him if we know that Gallant doesn’t want to play kids on Line 4 ? There isn’t a center spot for him (yet) and there definitely isn’t a LW spot for him either.
It should present itself in due time

from piecing together all the Brooksie musings, it sounds like Kravtsov is being dangled for another Center. Strome is most likely gone. Kreider or Laf are moving to the Right Wing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not saying Laf shouldn't be on first line but if he gets first pp min would it be the worst thing to have him on the third line to start? I mean that third line should be decent and still get plenty of 5 on 5 time. He would still wind up with plenty of Total ice time.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
Am curious for others views - if they knew they could get Reaves, aren't we a better team THIS year with buch on a 1 year arb award (say 5M)? trade him at the deadline if you really want Eichel next year. Also the Eichel NMC kicks in next year so if he really only wants what he wants (and it is NYR) then buffalo is more screwed than they are now with everyone being capped out.

As for this year's lines i'm going with the Lionheart forward lines above. lundkvist makes the team as third pair with nemeth, hajek extra. almost $10M in cap - you don't get to roll it over so its a waste to leave it open for this year .

Reactions: NYRangers16

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
Am curious for others views - if they knew they could get Reaves, aren't we a better team THIS year with buch on a 1 year arb award (say 5M)? trade him at the deadline if you really want Eichel next year. Also the Eichel NMC kicks in next year so if he really only wants what he wants (and it is NYR) then buffalo is more screwed than they are now with everyone being capped out.

As for this year's lines i'm going with the Lionheart forward lines above. lundkvist makes the team as third pair with nemeth, hajek extra. almost $10M in cap - you don't get to roll it over so its a waste to leave it open for this year .

Agreed. I still don’t understand why we traded Buch if we could have him on a 5-5.5m deal. He’d still hold value later. We could have had this same trade package or similar next offseason.

Kaapo Takko

Oct 13, 2015
Finland
If there's no more changes to the roster.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Goodrow
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov
Blais-Rooney/Barron-Reeves/Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist

Reactions: Number 9

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Panarin-Eichel-Goodrow
Kreider-Barron/Rooney-Gauthier/Hunt
Blais/Hunt-Rooney/Richards-Reeves/Hunt

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist/Schneider

Igor
Kinky

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko...

6d3f82a0df8ac09fe5dd2d3f01a56a74.jpg

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Not saying Laf shouldn't be on first line but if he gets first pp min would it be the worst thing to have him on the third line to start? I mean that third line should be decent and still get plenty of 5 on 5 time. He would still wind up with plenty of Total ice time.

I think it's just more likely that Laf doesn't get top PP minutes but Kreider does. He makes his money net front on the PP. His production probably doesn't drop that much playing 5v5 with Chyil and Kravtsov and being on the top PP. Lafreniere probably benefits more from the 5v5 minutes and playing with Zib rather than more kids.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Panarin-Eichel-Goodrow
Kreider-Barron/Rooney-Gauthier/Hunt
Blais/Hunt-Rooney/Richards-Reeves/Hunt

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist/Schneider

Igor
Kinky

Where is Chytil? Nevermind, you've got Chytil and Kravtsov going to Buffalo.

In that case, I'd go:

Laf - Zib - KK
Bread - Eich - Blais
Kreider - Goodrow - Barron/Gauthier
Hunt - Rooney - Reaves/Gauthier

Unless Barron really shows up looking like he's ready for 3C duty, that's better depth. Blais has shown he can fit in with talent in brief stints when St. Louis had lots of injuries and with Eich and Panarin all he has to do is bang bodies and retrieve pucks, which he's good at.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
My feeling with a new coach is that we're gonna start the season rolling Zibs with Panarin and then see if other lines come be a net positive.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think it's just more likely that Laf doesn't get top PP minutes but Kreider does. He makes his money net front on the PP. His production probably doesn't drop that much playing 5v5 with Chyil and Kravtsov and being on the top PP. Lafreniere probably benefits more from the 5v5 minutes and playing with Zib rather than more kids.

So are we keeping Strome on the first unit? Shoot me!

Kreider
panarin-zibby-laf
Fox

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So are we keeping Strome on the first unit? Shoot me!

Kreider
panarin-zibby-laf
Fox

I'd guess we will to start. I'm hoping to see some different looks over the year, but I imagine that unit stays intact for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad