Line Combos: So right now, what even are our lines?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Laf - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Fil - Goodrow
Blais - Rooney - Reaves
Hunt

I think Gauthier, a D, and one of Strome, Kravtsov, or Fil are goners.

Only reason I put Goodrow with Fil is for faceoff insurance.

Flip Goodrow and Chytil and I think this is the winner.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
If Strome is still here, I think there's a very good chance Goodrow plays with Panarin and Strome, as he fills the Fast role. I'm expecting at least one more move though, other than trading Georgiev.

Strome, Georgiev, Hajek, 2022 lottery protected 1st for Dvorak and a 2022 2nd.

Strome 50% retained, Georgiev 50% retained, Hajek, Gauthier for Andrew Copp. WPG has 16 players signed and 7.5 mil in space. Still need to sign Copp and Pionk and need a goalie.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Laf Zib KK
AP Copp VK
CK Chytil Goodrow
Reeves Rooney Blais

If Strome is here I think VK and Goodrow swap lines.

When/if Chytil is ready, he and Copp switch.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov
Lafreniere - Chytil - Goodrow
Blais - Rooney - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Nemeth - Lundkvist

If you can get a good, defensively responsible 2c instead of Strome it actually doesn't look half bad.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
with how this has gone I expect like 3-4 more moves so I won't even bother projecting

Reactions: Trxjw

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
This is exactly why a trade for Eichel makes so much sense. Too many guys, too few spots.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
This is exactly why a trade for Eichel makes so much sense. Too many guys, too few spots.

Agreed. A lot of these lineups look good to me, but hasn’t the org said they don’t see Blais as a 4th line player? I think with all the depth we’ve acquired, there’s got to be one more big move coming.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If Strome is still here, I think there's a very good chance Goodrow plays with Panarin and Strome, as he fills the Fast role. I'm expecting at least one more move though, other than trading Georgiev.

Strome, Georgiev, Hajek, 2022 lottery protected 1st for Dvorak and a 2022 2nd.

I agree with you. I think they want an upgrade on Strome and that's their next move. I just hope we don't over pay for Eichel.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Some funny posts in here. We may be crowding out a couple of marginal players, thus trading for Eichel makes sense.

Here are a variety of looks that make sense without putting anyone in a role that's beneath them:

Laf - Zib - KK
Bread - Strome - Goodrow
Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov
Blais - Rooney - Reaves/Gauthier

Laf - Zib - KK
Bread - Strome - Blais
Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov
Barron - Goodrow - Reaves/Gauthier

Laf - Zib - KK
Bread - Strome - Kravtsov
Kreider - Chytil/Goodrow

Laf - Zib - KK
Bread - Chytil - Strome
Kreider - Goodrow - Kravtsov

The 0nly player getting "blocked" in any of these scenarios is Chytil, which is sort of inevitable while Strome is here. I added the final group to present a situation where Chytil may get a shot at 2C without dismantling the Panarome connection. Barron is absent because it's not a given he'll force his way onto the roster. If he doesn't force his case in training camp he can marinate for one more year; Rooney's contract is expiring. If he does force his way onto the roster he can play over Rooney - if Barron genuinely deserves it more than him, than it's not much of a loss.

Reaves and Gauthier/Hunt battle it out for the 12th forward spot on any given night. No one is getting pushed out. We have a bunch of different looks - beyond these ones - that we can try.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
1. Kreider Zibanejad Kakko

Kreider and Zibanejad worked well together in the past along with Buchnevich. I think they will keep him there. Kakko is a RW, strong on the walls, and Panarin said he doesn't like playing with him so this is a natural fit.

2. Panarin Strome Reaves

Panarin and Strome have obvious chemistry. Reaves will add a physical presence that will ensure nobody goes after Panarin while they are on the ice. The offense should tick up with Panarin setting him up for passes. The Oilers have played Kassian in this role before

3. Lafreniere Chytil Kravtsov

Keeps Lafreniere in his regular position. He played well with Chytil last year. Kravtsov is a nice skill guy to play with them

4. Goodrow Rooney Blais

A physical fourth line that can wear down the opposition

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Wheres Barron?

In the comments below the lines. Rooney has a year left. If Barron forces his way on in camp, that's great. I'm all for it. I won't cry about Rooney not being a regular. If Barron can't force the issue in camp than he only has a year to wait. Spot is his to inherit.

I like Barron, but it's not exactly a MUST that he be on this roster this year. If he shows that it is a must in camp, that's awesome. But if not, him getting ~30 games as the first injury call up and waiting for Rooney's deal to expire isn't the end of the world.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Panarin - Strome - Reaves
Kreider - Zibanejad - Reaves
Laf - Chytil - Reaves
Kakko - Kratsov - Reaves

only when playing Washington of course

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow
Reaves-Rooney-Blais
Hunt

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist
Tinordi

Shesterkin
Georgiev

Definitely a much more well rounded squad than last year. I anticipate major leaps from Kakko/Lafrenier/Kravstov/Chytil. Not so enthused about trading for Eichel as I was (barring a major discount) because the teams depth will evaporate rather quickly. Clear playoff team imo.

Everyone should also mentally prepare themselves for Tinordi subbing in for Lundkvist on occasion. Gallant is a veteran coach, we all know its going to happen. The meltdown will happen regardless I'm sure :sarcasm:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
In the comments below the lines. Rooney has a year left. If Barron forces his way on in camp, that's great. I'm all for it. I won't cry about Rooney not being a regular. If Barron can't force the issue in camp than he only has a year to wait. Spot is his to inherit.

I like Barron, but it's not exactly a MUST that he be on this roster this year. If he shows that it is a must in camp, that's awesome. But if not, him getting ~30 games as the first injury call up and waiting for Rooney's deal to expire isn't the end of the world.
I dont think he has much to prove at AHL. It was only 20 or so game but he was at a point per game.

He's the real deal and is flying under the radar because of all of our high profile kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad