So, DW has really done some great things lately

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I'd like to add that one of the main reasons DW has been more successful in signings the last couple years is because more FA's want to come here. Some even taking a significant discount.

Earlier in his stint, not only did players not necessarily want to come here, we usually had to overpay to get players who would sign here. I believe the success lately has to do with the team and culture he's built over the years.

Great post. I think this is lost on most of the "Fire DW" cwowd.

I'm old enough to remember the Deano days. We had a horrible time retaining our own players that got a sniff of UFA status. Plenty of the RFAs were hold outs into training camp or the start of the season. Making the roster better by bringing in UFAs....yea right.

DW has done a great job of making this a place where players want to be. It was absolutely not before he took over and it clearly is now.

Does anyone think Burns is going to pull a Stamkos? In the days before DW, that's all we'd be talking about right now. Despite the cup run.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
No it wasn't. No matter how many times you post it. He's had the Sharks in the PO's for over a decade minus one year. He's been one of the best GM's in the league for quite some time. A few bad signings or signings you didn't like don't change that. This isn't a video game.

Doug Wilson had a great start to his tenure here, considering the Thornton trade, etc. I don't question that at all. But he had that multi-year stretch where he was just plain bad. I'm not even talking about not being able to sign top UFAs, since that wasn't really his fault. I am talking about things like continually signing terrible bottom-6 or bottom pairing players, sometimes on absurd contracts (see: Burish, Adam) and ignoring those holes all of US could see, but he would never fix. I think my last straw was the 2013 draft, and what a disaster that was. It looked very much like he'd reached his sell-by date, was making bad decisions, and the team was going nowhere fast. Remember our prospect pool being rated as one of the worst in the NHL? Who's fault was it that it got that way?

Fortunately for us, he improved dramatically, and has been making almost entirely good decisions ever since the end of the 2014-2015 season. I give him an A+ for just about everything he's done since then. (though I still think we overpaid for Polak + Spaling, but that's a minor quibble). He continued that trend this offseason with the signings he's made too. So yeah, I am off the fire DW bandwagon at this point, but I think I had perfectly valid reasons for being ON it in the first place.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Doug Wilson was a mess from April 2014 to June 2015. But before that he did good GMing and after that he's been doing good GMing. Just a momentary lapse in sanity.

This is a good way to look at it. DW has been a great GM for a long time. But that "momentary lapse in sanity" was just a horrendous stretch that nearly sank the team. All in all though he's been great.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Doug Wilson told anyone who was listening that they were in a mini rebuild. He had a plan. Many of you didn't like it. It paid off and will continue to pay off.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Doug Wilson told anyone who was listening that they were in a mini rebuild. He had a plan. Many of you didn't like it. It paid off and will continue to pay off.

That's true. He used a lot of vague phrases but it is what he said. Not everyone is like Jim Benning or Tim Murray who need a handler.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
A trip to the SCF would take some pressure off the GM. Besides the fans seem to be not angry at the team anymore so good vibes all around.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A trip to the SCF would take some pressure off the GM. Besides the fans seem to be not angry at the team anymore so good vibes all around.

Problem is that now they're right back to where they were before the missed playoff season. In a position where they will have expectations and we all know what that leads to. lol

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Problem is that now they're right back to where they were before the missed playoff season. In a position where they will have expectations and we all know what that leads to. lol

I don't have expectations though. I would like to see them win it of course but I learned during the run that the SCF really is its own unique animal and the Sharks were beat by a better team. I'm more excited for the new season than expecting anything.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I don't have expectations though. I would like to see them win it of course but I learned during the run that the SCF really is its own unique animal and the Sharks were beat by a better team. I'm more excited for the new season than expecting anything.

I agree. The regular season is just about getting to the playoffs and seeing whats working and what isn't. Once the playoffs start, it's an entirely different game and season.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
I think FA's willingness to sign in SJ improved mostly in two stints. Vinny D really opened many eyes and minds in considering SJ. He said mentioned the weather, great fans, possibility of privacy not living in a pressure-cooker, and good management that also treats players right--he continued and said 'why wouldn't a player want to play here' (paraphrase). Doug seemed to take that to heart after he got here and took it to another level.

With many placing such a high importance on being close to family, it is shrewd to make sure every other area has as high of mark as possible if you're off the beaten path.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
DW has done a good job. But Plattner has helped him by allowing him to spend to the cap. Previous ownership had a much lower internal cap. Also, Plattner has expanded the scouting group in Europe and probably elsewhere. I think Plattner deserves lots of credit for the Sharks being more successful than ever before.

It has been a long time since the Sharks lost in the playoffs to a better team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
DW has done a good job. But Plattner has helped him by allowing him to spend to the cap. Previous ownership had a much lower internal cap. Also, Plattner has expanded the scouting group in Europe and probably elsewhere. I think Plattner deserves lots of credit for the Sharks being more successful than ever before.

It has been a long time since the Sharks lost in the playoffs to a better team.

the internal cap, is this why wilson since i believe it was 2008, has been spending within 1 million or less of the cap ceiling?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
This also feels like the first off-season where we are actually a play people will take a discount to play. Obviously that's not true, but we are finally on the map.

Even though the SCF loss still hurts, it gave us some national attention as a great team that doesnt roll over and quit. The fact that we were outworked by a better pens team and kept the score close says a lot about this team's direction and character

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Eh, before last offseason the rhetoric was accurate. That 2013 draft was horrific, as one example. We went into it with a 1st and 3 seconds, and we came out of it with a D-man who we're not sure will ever make the NHL, and that's it, apart from a year of a terrible 4th liner and a prospect that couldn't even stick on our AHL team. Ever since last offseason, though, he has been really good, and I have no complaints.

Given how bad he was for how long, I am still half waiting for the other shoe to drop, though. That's why I was terrified we were going to do something stupid today. Good on him, he had 2 great signings that I'm completely happy with.

It worked well during the last off-season, so I will echo it again... Fire DW!!!!!!!

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I have this notion that 3 years from now, Doug is gonna promote himself to President of Hockey Ops and make PDB our new GM.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Except he really wasn't. Every last piece of the core and extended core was part of this last run. That "mini rebuild" was more like a cluster****. His major move of the "mini rebuild" was trading Demers for Dillon.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Unless you're saying that he did all that to make things so crappy that Tmac left town. If so yeah I guess that would be some next level GMing.

Something tells me that wasn't the case.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'd like to add that one of the main reasons DW has been more successful in signings the last couple years is because more FA's want to come here. Some even taking a significant discount.

Earlier in his stint, not only did players not necessarily want to come here, we usually had to overpay to get players who would sign here. I believe the success lately has to do with the team and culture he's built over the years.

That's one theory... the year the Sharks FINALLY get coveted UFA's to sign in SJ is all because of a culture that Doug Wilson has installed over his years as GM and it finally worked after the season where he has a public spat through the media with his vets, the team captain says he needs to "shut his mouth", the team drops like stone in wins, point totals, and the standings, and their well respected coach voluntarily steps down. Yeah, that must be it....

The other theory is that after stating for years that he(Wilson) would not be part of the UFA bidding wars, and continually offering only lowball contracts to UFAs, last offseason Wilson is in panic mode to retain his job, and he offers UFAs fair market value contracts and gives them an extra year that is probably not the safest move, but is a large carrot for aging vets that are looking for monetary security at the tail end of their careers.

San Jose is a great destination for UFAs with families. They had what was perceived as solid coaching, and one of the top cores in the league. Plenty of UFAs would have loved to sign in SJ the past decade. But they have short careers. Leaving a couple of million on the table to sign in SJ for what might be their last contract, was not so appealing. A lot of players have taken less money to stay in SJ over the years, it is generally seen as a pretty great place to play, and the Sharks were in a position to win. UFA's did not spurn the team in Wilson's early years because of a previous GM's "culture".

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Except he really wasn't. Every last piece of the core and extended core was part of this last run. That "mini rebuild" was more like a cluster****. His major move of the "mini rebuild" was trading Demers for Dillon.

He brought in Jones. Did some proper scouting in Europe to bring in Karlsson and Donskoi. Added veteran depth with Martin and Ward.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That's one theory... the year the Sharks FINALLY get coveted UFA's to sign in SJ is all because of a culture that Doug Wilson has installed over his years as GM and it finally worked after the season where he has a public spat through the media with his vets, the team captain says he needs to "shut his mouth", the team drops like stone in wins, point totals, and the standings, and their well respected coach voluntarily steps down. Yeah, that must be it....

The other theory is that after stating for years that he(Wilson) would not be part of the UFA bidding wars, and continually offering only lowball contracts to UFAs, last offseason Wilson is in panic mode to retain his job, and he offers UFAs fair market value contracts and gives them an extra year that is probably not the safest move, but is a large carrot for aging vets that are looking for monetary security at the tail end of their careers.

San Jose is a great destination for UFAs with families. They had what was perceived as solid coaching, and one of the top cores in the league. Plenty of UFAs would have loved to sign in SJ the past decade. But they have short careers. Leaving a couple of million on the table to sign in SJ for what might be their last contract, was not so appealing. A lot of players have taken less money to stay in SJ over the years, it is generally seen as a pretty great place to play, and the Sharks were in a position to win. UFA's did not spurn the team in Wilson's early years because of a previous GM's "culture".

One can't help but notice that the DW started targeting UFAs much more when the ownership changed.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
One can't help but notice that the DW started targeting UFAs much more when the ownership changed.

Well, the cupboards were also stretched a bit bare and a lot of kids need time to develop.

UFA's are one of the only ways to add assets without giving assets in return and it buys time to analyze prospect possibilities of making the big team.

But our cupboard is looking much improved now. Not including Meier, If even 3 of 10 pan out to top 6, it is a huge win.

His coy signings of Karlsson and Donskoi pay dividens in middle 6 depth. Donskoi looks like a top 6 mainstay with potential 1st line talent.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Everything that happened between the Torres signing (ugh) and the Martin signing (hooray!) is a blur. I was extremely drunk. Since July 1 last year, #DWrebuilt.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

So what does that mean? Does it mean that Ownership was actually calling the shots on how Doug spent the cap space and not Doug before the change?

Except for Wilson's first 2 or 3 years, (where he did an outstanding job with what he had to work with, and i praised him then regularly), the Sharks have pretty much spent the cap, or close to it, for most of his seasons at the helm.

The idea that there is some secret conspiracy why quality UFAs rarely signed with San Jose starts and ends with Wilsons' own public statement that the UFA bidding wars at the opening UFA frenzy is destroying the league and that he would not be a part of doling out those contracts in said bidding wars. I actually admire his conviction, and yes, of course, he is totally right. UFA bidding wars have led to multiple lock-outs. But it is really hard to win a cup if you don't play by the rules the rest of the league is playing by. If Wilson had approached previous offseasons(and wisely targeted roster weaknesses) the way he did last year and this year, San Jose would have a Stanley cup or three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad