So, DW has really done some great things lately

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
After a strong run to the SCF, it is clear that SJ still has the will to compete with its old core. Adding Martin/Ward were huge additions, and both proved their worth last year. Adding Boedker and Schlemko were great additions this offseason, and we have essentially one or two more runs at the cup with Thornton/Marleau. Donskoi and Karlsson were both great additions as well.

But also behind that, DW has stockpiled young talent out of late picks/shrewd signings/trades.

Meier and Goldobin are obvious blue-chippers that are hopefully going to impact the team this year.

Beyond that:

DeMelo
Labanc
Roy
Heed
Sorensen
Letunov
Mueller
Bergman

all have shots to be NHL players, and most were late picks, or trades. Rebuilding the cupboard while competing is extremely hard to do, and DW has quietly made these additions every single year it seems. I'm thoroughly impressed with DW since the LA series.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
No, stop. Wilson is a terrible GM and should have been fired long time ago!

(That's the rhetoric, don't forget it)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
No, stop. Wilson is a terrible GM and should have been fired long time ago!

(That's the rhetoric, don't forget it)

Eh, before last offseason the rhetoric was accurate. That 2013 draft was horrific, as one example. We went into it with a 1st and 3 seconds, and we came out of it with a D-man who we're not sure will ever make the NHL, and that's it, apart from a year of a terrible 4th liner and a prospect that couldn't even stick on our AHL team. Ever since last offseason, though, he has been really good, and I have no complaints.

Given how bad he was for how long, I am still half waiting for the other shoe to drop, though. That's why I was terrified we were going to do something stupid today. Good on him, he had 2 great signings that I'm completely happy with.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Eh, before last offseason the rhetoric was accurate.

No it wasn't. No matter how many times you post it. He's had the Sharks in the PO's for over a decade minus one year. He's been one of the best GM's in the league for quite some time. A few bad signings or signings you didn't like don't change that. This isn't a video game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Doug Wilson was a mess from April 2014 to June 2015. But before that he did good GMing and after that he's been doing good GMing. Just a momentary lapse in sanity.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Doug Wilson was a mess from April 2014 to June 2015. But before that he did good GMing and after that he's been doing good GMing. Just a momentary lapse in sanity.

DATE TRANSACTION
March 26, 2015 Signed G Joel Rumpel to a one-year contract and D Joakim Ryan to a two-year contract and assigned them to Worcester (AHL).

Checkmate :naughty:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

I have to think that he really wanted to make a run at the McDavid lottery. The Thornton media fiasco was just a front for it to make it look like we weren't obviously tanking on purpose.

other than that he's made some real head scratching moves (Tyler Kennedy for a 2nd rounder, for example) for every good move he's done.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
No it wasn't. No matter how many times you post it. He's had the Sharks in the PO's for over a decade minus one year. He's been one of the best GM's in the league for quite some time. A few bad signings or signings you didn't like don't change that. This isn't a video game.

Yes it is. Don't you remember that guy that thought the key to the Sharks winning was signing/acquiring in trade like 5 superstar players and then icing a roster that maxed out at like 15-16 skaters?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Yes it is. Don't you remember that guy that thought the key to the Sharks winning was signing/acquiring in trade like 5 superstar players and then icing a roster that maxed out at like 15-16 skaters?

Whatever happened to him :sarcasm:

Didn't he give us the "Three words, Thornton is tin man" Meme?

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Shame they didn't do that in the Final. :sarcasm:

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
People are too quick to demand change.
It's the "Me now" Sports fan culture of the 21st century.
Wilson has always been one of the better GMs in the league.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
People are too quick to demand change.
It's the "Me now" Sports fan culture of the 21st century.
Wilson has always been one of the better GMs in the league.

Yup, it's the social media age. People don't get what they want (Stanley cup) then someone needs to pay, someone isn't doing their job and we need to be heard! I have generally always been a fan of DW except for that feud with Jumbo. DW can be put GM for much longer and I will be happy.

Every GM makes mistakes but it's how big they are that makes them good or bad. The biggest mistake DW ever made was feuding with his superstar player. We are lucky Thornton is in love with the Bay Area and the Sharks franchise or he would be gone. Aside from that though DW's good moves are usually large scale and his bad moves are typically small scale. He notices holes and he fills them. That's all I ask for from my GM.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'd like to add that one of the main reasons DW has been more successful in signings the last couple years is because more FA's want to come here. Some even taking a significant discount.

Earlier in his stint, not only did players not necessarily want to come here, we usually had to overpay to get players who would sign here. I believe the success lately has to do with the team and culture he's built over the years.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
One of the former Sharks they had on during the 25 year celebration mentioned how much his family liked it here. We have a good fan base but the players can go out in public without being harassed.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I have been a fervent supporter of Doug Wilsons since he took over the GM position.

He has brought a sure fire Hall of Famer and has given our team a chance year after year.
He has made fair signings and hasn't given out those outrageous, long term contracts.
He doesn't believe in a "blow it up" mentality and finds a way to refresh this team that baffles me.
He brought in head coaches that have brought the most out of the team and even led us to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
Yes, he has made bad trades and signed some free agents that in retrospect were lousy but do keep in mind that at the time most of those acquisitions were viable. Not in the HFB world, in the NHL world.
He has given us a chance. That is what he has done in spades.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yup, it's the social media age. People don't get what they want (Stanley cup) then someone needs to pay, someone isn't doing their job and we need to be heard! I have generally always been a fan of DW except for that feud with Jumbo. DW can be put GM for much longer and I will be happy.

Every GM makes mistakes but it's how big they are that makes them good or bad. The biggest mistake DW ever made was feuding with his superstar player. We are lucky Thornton is in love with the Bay Area and the Sharks franchise or he would be gone. Aside from that though DW's good moves are usually large scale and his bad moves are typically small scale. He notices holes and he fills them. That's all I ask for from my GM.

Honestly the "feud" was completely overblown by the fans. If it were as serious as most thought Jumbo would've bailed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Whatever happened to him :sarcasm:

Didn't he give us the "Three words, Thornton is tin man" Meme?

I don't think it was him. he was gone long before that meme sprang to life. He was only here for like a week, in which time he let us in on how the Sharks could succeed by signing/trading basically every asset of value not named Thornton and Marleau for Ovechkin and Jagr (that's how old this is. It was pre-KHL, NYR-era Jagr). and others and then just double-shift everyone.

I had this spectacular takedown where I priced out that his planned forward lines alone cost like the entire cap figure at the time and it would be literally impossible to add enough players to get to the minimum roster requirement even if everyone got league minimum contracts. But then all the posts got deleted because of flaming (This was also before I was a mod, so it was that old too)

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Do I have this right?

2017 Draft Picks

Round 1:
Sharks own the pick

Round 2:
Ducks own their pick via the Leafs

Round 3:
Sharks own their own pick
The Coyotes own the Red Wings pick via Letunov trade

Round 4:

Round 5:

Round 6:
The Coyotes own the Avalanche pick via Letunov trade

The Sharks didn't have many picks this year and DW seems to compile picks the year after giving picks up. Hopefully any players moved are for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad