Rumor: Snow got votes for GMOTY?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This was posted on the main board

781365641.png

Which just goes to show you, best till wait till the end of the playoffs to vote for an award like this. lol

giddy up*

This was posted on the main board

781365641.png

Which just goes to show you, best till wait till the end of the playoffs to vote for an award like this. lol

The real question is: How did Scott Howson get a vote?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The real question is: How did Scott Howson get a vote?

Howson takes too much heat. He won the Nash trade. Got a Vezina caliber, extremely young goaltender for basically second-rate assets. Got his team 3 first round picks in what appears to be a stacked draft. Has built an extremely impressive defensive core.

IMO, he's done a decent job. It was that original Carter trade that buried him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Who votes on this award? Because if it's just GMs then Sather and Howson probably just traded votes.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I like that Garth was in the TOP TEN but where is Boston's GM?
This vote was done by folks that are blind or do not watch hockey.

Boston GM Peter Chiarelli deserved to be top 10, easy.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I'm assuming he didn't make the cut because he's a ******... have you ever seen any of his interviews? They are a real treat.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Howson takes too much heat. He won the Nash trade. Got a Vezina caliber, extremely young goaltender for basically second-rate assets. Got his team 3 first round picks in what appears to be a stacked draft. Has built an extremely impressive defensive core.

I agree on all accounts. The Carter trade at the time looked very good for the on paper. They gave up Voracek, a first and a third. For a guy, whom at the time was scoring at a top flight rate. I just think Carter wasn't overly enamored with going to Columbus to begin with.

However, Columbus was able to regain a first rounder as well as Jack Johnson for Carter. So not a total tank on that trade.

Furthermore, I think having two picks in this years first round would be huge, let alone having three like Howson has. You could stay pat and look to add three high level guys or potentially package those picks to move up in the draft and/or for a top flight player.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I agree on all accounts. The Carter trade at the time looked very good for the on paper. They gave up Voracek, a first and a third. For a guy, whom at the time was scoring at a top flight rate. I just think Carter wasn't overly enamored with going to Columbus to begin with.

However, Columbus was able to regain a first rounder as well as Jack Johnson for Carter. So not a total tank on that trade.

Furthermore, I think having two picks in this years first round would be huge, let alone having three like Howson has. You could stay pat and look to add three high level guys or potentially package those picks to move up in the draft and/or for a top flight player.

Exactly. They need offensive weapons. They could either stand pat or, like you said, make a play for a pick in the 5-6(Nichushkin or one of Lindholm, Monahan) range by packaging their 14th, 19th and 2nd rounder if necessary. That'll still leave them with the 27th pick where they can go for the home run with a guy like Petan.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

This isn't just hindsight, but it's amazing to me that Shero was 1st and Chiarelli was down the list. IMO Shero is incredibly overrated, whereas Chiarelli is great.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
This isn't just hindsight, but it's amazing to me that Shero was 1st and Chiarelli was down the list. IMO Shero is incredibly overrated, whereas Chiarelli is great.

:handclap::nod:;) Agreed on all fronts.

Considering the candidates on this list. I cannot fathom that the Boston GM was in the lower half of "Best GMs".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Considering the candidates on this list. I cannot fathom that the Boston GM was in the lower half of "Best GMs".

The Bruins had an ok but nothing great Regular season(and ended on a not so great note since they aquired Jagr). Beyond that Boston really wasn't a mover and shaker in the Summer of 2012

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I really don't know how Shero won the award. He amassed a team of all stars that once again, when faced with a REAL opponent, collapsed and honestly, had we not had a garbage PP and horrific net minding, would have been bounced by the isles in rd 1
Pretty cool that both snow and cappy finished in top 10.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I really don't know how Shero won the award. He amassed a team of all stars that once again, when faced with a REAL opponent, collapsed and honestly, had we not had a garbage PP and horrific net minding, would have been bounced by the isles in rd 1
Pretty cool that both snow and cappy finished in top 10.

Voting was done at the end of Reg Season so given the fact the Penguins finished 2nd best in the League, plus all the moves Shero made he got alot of votes. I am guessing the voting would change if they voted after the playoffs and either Bowman would win or People might consider Bergevin(given Montreal's turnaround)

giddy up*

Even if all that is true, the guy was fired 3 weeks into the season. How is he even eligible?

You could make the argument Burke shouldve gotten Nonis votes too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00