Snow deserves a lot of credit

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
And just so it's out there for the millionth time, because I'm sick of seeing Snow thrown under the bus for Nino.....

Those who screwed "Nina's" trade value are Wang and Niederreiter himself.

As for Vanek, by record and picks, it did kind of lead to Ho-Sang.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
And just so it's out there for the millionth time, because I'm sick of seeing Snow thrown under the bus for Nino.....

Those who screwed "Nina's" trade value are Wang and Niederreiter himself.

As for Vanek, by record and picks, it did kind of lead to Ho-Sang.

Agreed on the Nina trade 100%.

Garth took a risk to change the culture on LI and it did not work, came close but still failed. To make up for it, he got Collberg (lost season this year with injuries, but still an asset as some love to state) and a pick used for HoSang (asset).

Garth might not be great at trades but he sure makes up for it on draft day with multiple 1st rounders (assets again) to improve our club.

The NN are just complainers that is all.

Good call 88th!

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Prove it.

edit: PS I can't speak for Hip of Rick but the majority of HF posters don't agree with you necessarily when it comes to myself, most don't think I spew "venom".

I was right about: Tambellini, Nilsson, Bergenheim, the Smyth trade, Nino asset handling, the Vanek trade, Vanek no re-signing here and going to Minny, us missing the playoffs last year, Nabby not being a good goaltender last year, Martin not being a legit 2nd liner....I can go on for days.

Am I wrong sometimes? Of course. But I'm right a lot--even when I'm in the slim minority. And my posts aren't over-emotional, they're usually based on what I see and logic. Some disagree and that's fine. BUT I think most posters (sans you and a few others) realize I'm not a troll just spewing "negative venom".

Stop being so melodramatic-it makes your posts lose some of their value.

PPS: If you were paying attention (and I doubt you were) to my posts at the end of the off-season I was VERY positive about the changes and the ONLY two things I've been negative about this year are Crappy and Johnson. That's it.

Great post. I usually agree with you SS, especially about Snow. Snow had some bad seasons, made bad decisions. But like you said he was good this offseason. He made excellent signings. He deserves a lot of credit. And I don't think your posts are venomous at all.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Great post. I usually agree with you SS, especially about Snow. Snow had some bad seasons, made bad decisions. But like you said he was good this offseason. He made excellent signings. He deserves a lot of credit. And I don't think your posts are venomous at all.

Did he make excellent signings because money was finally infused into the team? Seems like most years he was dumpster diving for players after no one would sign. What I will say is GMG has made strong choices in the draft. Not bashing Garth. I never thought he was as bad as most opined but I'm not a coolaid drinker either.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Prove it.

edit: PS I can't speak for Hip of Rick but the majority of HF posters don't agree with you necessarily when it comes to myself, most don't think I spew "venom".

I was right about: Tambellini, Nilsson, Bergenheim, the Smyth trade, Nino asset handling, the Vanek trade, Vanek no re-signing here and going to Minny, us missing the playoffs last year, Nabby not being a good goaltender last year, Martin not being a legit 2nd liner....I can go on for days.

Am I wrong sometimes? Of course. But I'm right a lot--even when I'm in the slim minority. And my posts aren't over-emotional, they're usually based on what I see and logic. Some disagree and that's fine. BUT I think most posters (sans you and a few others) realize I'm not a troll just spewing "negative venom".

Stop being so melodramatic-it makes your posts lose some of their value.

PPS: If you were paying attention (and I doubt you were) to my posts at the end of the off-season I was VERY positive about the changes and the ONLY two things I've been negative about this year are Crappy and Johnson. That's it.

What exactly do you mean by the bolded? What were your predictions, exactly?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Asset you mean? Where are you getting Assets unless Nino was miraculously two players just skating really close to each other.

Moulson
Nino
2015 first
Vanek at the deadline

All of these got us Clutterbuck and Collberg. The pick we got in the Vanek deal was also part of Ho Sang. My point is we traded all of these and didn't even touch a goalie. I'm very happy last year is behind us because last year was a complete joke. Snow had a great offseason and built up a great prospect pool.

We have one of the beat prospect pools in the league and it's nice to not be looking at the newest 18 year old to save us. I'm very interested though if Snow can continue his good drafting not being in the bottom every season. If he can we are set up for a very very long time.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Snow deff deserves alot of credit this year from Manchuk, Leddy, Halak, CJ, Kuli and Grabo. He also deserves credit for picking up Hickey a few years ago. He also deserves credit for his drafting. He stinks of some trades, but no one is perfect.

Here is my riff with Garth and honestly this might not be under his control due to Wang, and the opinions of certain FAs but why did it take so long to make some moves? I know CHI and Boston were in cap situation, but how come we couldn't have made the Leddy trade last year giving up the same assets? I know we were in on trade talks or FA options but what makes this year so different from any other? I know the cap went up but still you would think the off-season after a playoff appearance you would think we could have improved more, but nothing came last off-season. I am not complaining I LOVE this year's start but imagine if this happened a year ago and all of the doom and gloom we had after the moulson trade and the assets we gave up.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Moulson
Nino
2015 first
Vanek at the deadline

All of these got us Clutterbuck and Collberg. The pick we got in the Vanek deal was also part of Ho Sang. My point is we traded all of these and didn't even touch a goalie. I'm very happy last year is behind us because last year was a complete joke. Snow had a great offseason and built up a great prospect pool.

We have one of the beat prospect pools in the league and it's nice to not be looking at the newest 18 year old to save us. I'm very interested though if Snow can continue his good drafting not being in the bottom every season. If he can we are set up for a very very long time.

I think we got a goalie with the 3rd we got back for Nino, as well - Eamon McAdam.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Clutter was a result of the budget crunch by Wang and the poor excuse of a baby (niño) and is nitwit agent. That being said the teammates on this team did not like niño (my opinion). The team comes first and he was a detriment to team chemistry. Time to move on from that asshat.

See the bolded part. I don't get that. I've always seen the Nino/Clutter thing as simply making the best out of a bad situation.

I don't miss Nino either though. He was all about "him" to the point it hurt his AHL team.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
See the bolded part. I don't get that. I've always seen the Nino/Clutter thing as simply making the best out of a bad situation.

I don't miss Nino either though. He was all about "him" to the point it hurt his AHL team.

Because of cap shenanigans Nino spent a full year with the Islanders when he didn't deserve it and felt entitled to a roster spot because he was on the team all of the previous year. It is possible that had he been sent to Bridgeport rather than playing 4th line minutes here with scrubs he may have reacted differently if told he was starting the next year in Bridgeport

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Because of cap shenanigans Nino spent a full year with the Islanders when he didn't deserve it and felt entitled to a roster spot because he was on the team all of the previous year. It is possible that had he been sent to Bridgeport rather than playing 4th line minutes here with scrubs he may have reacted differently if told he was starting the next year in Bridgeport

Ah, the domino thing. I get it. That's fair and I agree.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
What exactly do you mean by the bolded? What were your predictions, exactly?

Smyth trade:

I actually defended Snow on this trade at the time. Most on here were livid that we gave up "three 1sts", but I thought it was worth it because: our 2 players were going to bust (they both did), and that Smyth would help us get into the playoffs (he did). I got blasted for that (ironically I was being positive here).

Tambellini: Most HF posters hated when Nolan "refused to play the kids", and cited Tambellini as the perfect example. Meanwhile it was obvious he would never amount to a top-6 forward (let alone the star you'd think he would be reading HF Isles fans). They kept citing AHL stats, but they don't always correlate to NHL production. And said this WAY before we gave up on him. I got blasted for that.

Bergenheim: I stated he was a nice player, but a "dime a dozen" and got blasted.

Nino: I said that handling him as an asset was a mistake-and it is/was. I like Clutterbuck, but he's not worth a 5th overall pick.

Nilsson: See Tambellini above.

Am I Nostradamus? No. I don't pretend to be. I've been wrong plenty of times (Bailey this year is a great example). But I do try not to see things from an Islander fan perspective (even though I am a fan). I try and put all of the biases aside and see things for the way they really are.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

Thank you, what he said.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Snow deff deserves alot of credit this year from Manchuk, Leddy, Halak, CJ, Kuli and Grabo. He also deserves credit for picking up Hickey a few years ago. He also deserves credit for his drafting. He stinks of some trades, but no one is perfect.

Here is my riff with Garth and honestly this might not be under his control due to Wang, and the opinions of certain FAs but why did it take so long to make some moves? I know CHI and Boston were in cap situation, but how come we couldn't have made the Leddy trade last year giving up the same assets? I know we were in on trade talks or FA options but what makes this year so different from any other? I know the cap went up but still you would think the off-season after a playoff appearance you would think we could have improved more, but nothing came last off-season. I am not complaining I LOVE this year's start but imagine if this happened a year ago and all of the doom and gloom we had after the moulson trade and the assets we gave up.

I am not saying I know the management style but I will venture a guesstimate.
He was planning/weighting on future cap constraints for Boston and Chicago vs. how much of a difference 1 year on the LI would be vs. another year closer to that constraint.

This would allow for asset mitigation vs. the isles making the playoffs and making it worth the loss of more substantial assets last off season vs. this off season.

To answer honestly, i do not know,but I think it shrewd to make other teams feel the crunch and take advantage of that. Snow is using all the tools available to him to manage an NHL team.

Waiver wire, FAs, the CAP, Financial constraints (excluding this year), draft and now public sentiment.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hickey, deserving kid who wasn't going to crack the Kings lineup but deserving NHL talent.

Nino, traded a first round guy who he never felt would be the future because of other forward prospects. Getting Clutterbuck was a known quantity targeted for a role to complement the forwards.

Moulson, like Nino no intent to pay him as a top six because of talent in system.

Vanek trade, a lot of anxiety from fans because of potential lottery pick but essentially gave up a first rounder to have them take Moulson off our hands.

Nelson, de Haan, Ho Sang?, first round move up picks to become starters.

Strome, Reinhart, Pulock, dal Colle, how many teams will see four top round picks plus Nelson and de Haan become starters? Not mention JT for obvious reason. Reflect a solid scouting staff.

2012 Defense draft, reflect a solid scouting staff as well.

Halak, although no goalie draft picks are starters, Snow believes that goalies do not show their ability until they are around a few years.

Capuano, Isles don't hire known NHL coaches but few experts question his hockey knowledge. One may question his ability to handle the stress of coaching at this level but I think he is learning along with his players. JT has a lot of swagger because he has been a spotlight player since he was a young teen and adding Boychuk gives them a nice piece of playoff experience. Sometimes the players rub off on the coaches and Weight is a stable influence as well.

Farm system is nicely developed with a nice bevy of kids in College, Russo like Lee is a Notre Dame standout, plus Europe along with BRI and CHL.

Halak, Grabo, Kulemin, all signed to four year deals so they fit the salary structure. Johnson has two years so if he has starter potential can test market or may compete with Poulin for backup role in two years.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Snow has made good moves but poor moves as well. The nino trade was a not a good trade and I'm sure Minnesota fans are pretty happy what they are getting from Nino so far. The vanek trade at the time of the trade was a disaster as I said we had no chance to resign him. Will see what happens with hosang and colberg but as of now that was not a good move. The Leddy aNd Boychuck moves were obviously very good moves by Garth. Finally getting a solid goalie in Halak also a good move by Snow. Garths snow trades have been a mixed bag but his drafting and acquiring good players for nothing like hickey and grabber overall give him an above average grade.

Pnut

I'm not following by 2 number one picks. I see it as:

2015 1st
2015 2nd
Moulson
Nino

Foooorrrrr

One year of Vanek
Clutterbuck
McAdam

I don't mind the Vanek deal but we really needed a goalie and Snow struck out bigtime. Will you atleast agree with that?

For Moulson - who is a one-dimensional 2nd line player that should have only seen spot 1st line duty with us (not all the time like he got with us, but I digress) and two 1sts and 2nd rounder we got

Vanek for less than a full season - A guy who only seems to play when he wants to and could be a great player if he put in the effort 100% of the time.....

and in the end we landed Collberg, Clutterbuck, a goalie in McAdam and a pick that was used to trade up and get HoSang
Considering we might have gotten another Robert Nilsson or Ryan O'Marra with those high picks (from the Moulson trade) I will take my chances that Collberg becomes a future 2nd line RW and HoSang plays with Kyle and JT one day soon.

Clutterbuck is a role player that hits and pots a few goals. Its nice that him and Martin are on the team to do a little fist-a-cups, instead of that spot being used for a punching bag like Trevor Gillies.

Garth might not be great at trades but he sure makes up for it on draft day with multiple 1st rounders (assets again) to improve our club.
See I see it as only semi-bad if he gives up a 1st and 2nd rounder and Moulson if he doesn't sign him, which he didn't.
This team needed an infusion of talent at the start of last season and Moulson was upgraded. In hindsight it wasn't for the best, but that is life.

If he uses picks to move up he will (like with de Haan, Nelson, HoSang). Of course in the up coming draft we don thave many picks, but this team is going for it NOW. As others have said it is good Snow has an eye on the future also, whether those picks amount to anything or are used to trade up.

Sometimes the cap doesnt effect them, they might have not had a cap issue after the 2012-2013 season, but after this past 2013-2014 season the Blackhawks did? Maybe they thought they could re sign Oduya at the end of this season and thought they could get a player similar to Leddy in the off season. Oduya looks like he is slowing down but maybe?

Who knows? Look GMs make mistakes all the time. We as a fanbase should know that with Milbury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad