Snow deserves a lot of credit

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Say what you want about the Vanek asset management and the duration of this rebuild, but I just don't know how anyone can look at this roster - NHL and below - and not be ecstatic about the shape it's in.

During that time when we could not attract UFAs/spend money, Snow stuck to his guns and didn't part with his high-end prospects to bring in established talent. It hurt us in the short term, but the long-term payoff has the potential to completely blow away what short-lived success we could have had with a couple of big trades over the last 2 or 3 years.

Breaking down the roster as a whole:

Our forwards are strong. We have three lines that can score(one of which is a legitimate 1st line, another is already having success and just might have 1st line upside, and the other has proven to be a very capable defensive unit) and one of the most physical 4th lines in hockey.

The beauty of the forward core is that pretty much every member of "the core" is on the right side of 30. Hell, most of them are on the right side of 25. Tavares, Bailey, Strome, Nelson, Lee, Cizikas, and Martin all fit that criteria. Guys like Okposo, Grabner, Clutterbuck, and Kulemin are just outside. Nielsen and Grabovski are the only two who have entered their 30's, but both are only 30 on the dot.

The only holes I can potentially see popping up in the near future are 1LW and possibly 4C. One should be relatively easy to fill, but the other could be a bit more difficult. However, Snow has at least stockpiled some solid candidates. Guys like Bailey and Grabovski as possible immediate answers, with prospects Dal Colle and Ho-Sang giving us options sometime down the line(maybe as early as next season for Dal Colle, depending on how he develops this year and how he performs at camp).

Defensively, talk about a 180. A year ago today, our defense was probably half as effective as what we are icing now - that is probably putting it nicely. Boychuk was a huge addition. As was Leddy. de Haan has developed incredibly well. Hamonic has established himself as a top-pairing guy. Hickey has been a pleasant surprise. Like the forward group, the core is young. Hamonic, de Haan, Leddy and Hickey are all 25 and under. Boychuk, like Nielsen and Grabo, is the "old man" of the blue-line core at 30 years of age.

While Visnovsky will most likely be gone next season, Garth has stockpiled an impressive group of high-end D prospects, that includes our two top guys who will both have a year of pro experience by the time TC rolls around next season. The fact that a prospect like Griffin Reinhart could have a tough time cracking our lineup should show just how far this defense has come.

In net, while we still don't have that "goaltender of the future", we do have a capable duo of the present. Halak has been solid, and is easily the best goalie we've had in years. Johnson might be the best backup we've had in God knows how long. You can already tell how big of a difference quality goaltending can make with a team. The guys just play much more confident hockey, and are much more aggressive knowing that if a mistake is made, chances are it won't be a back-breaker like it was last season and seasons prior.

Halak is the perfect goaltender for this team right now, and props to Snow for targeting him aggressively.

The NHLers, the prospects, and the effectiveness he's displayed with locking these guys up at reasonable salaries should start earning this guy some respect. Obviously the team will need to win when it matters before most people change their opinion(understandably so), but I can't help but be pleased about the present and excited about the future when looking up and down at this organization.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A GM should be evaluated at the end of the season. Premature to give credit or blame to a GM 15 games into a season. It is a marathon, not a sprint and it is the GM's job to assemble a team that is competitive for the long haul.

Though I do agree, at this point the team looks real good.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Still premature imo.

Still not happy about some of the trades prior to Boychuk @ Leddy, because he's constantly been fleeced.

But the blue line he has assembled has been legit.

dv92

Jun 30, 2014
I gained a lot of respect for Garth this year. I know it's still early, but we have a very talented group this year. Getting Boychuk and Leddy on the same day was a grand slam for Garth and the team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Team looks good, but we could have been better last year. :D

What a great post in so little words. I love the team now and I'm happy we are out of the rebuild. I expected it to be shorter especially after that playoff series. But the fact still remains that Snow missed out big time on goalies that offseason. And then he useful all of our prime assets for Cal Clutterbuck and Vanek who isn't even on the team anymore.

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
What a great post in so little words. I love the team now and I'm happy we are out of the rebuild. I expected it to be shorter especially after that playoff series. But the fact still remains that Snow missed out big time on goalies that offseason. And then he useful all of our prime assets for Cal Clutterbuck and Vanek who isn't even on the eam anymore.

This is what I am still very angry and bitter about being a fan, and the coaching staff.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
His biggest blemish continues to be keeping Cappy and the U of Maine crew aboard, but they are winning games right now in spite of that, so for the moment I can't hate on it as much as I have in the past. Still would love to get some legit coaches in the future though.
The roster he put together should easily be a playoff team, especially with the added scoring/2 way players he brought in, the key D moves, and the goaltending improvements which seemed to have turned things around from a very underwhelming start. Bridgeport is stocked with talent and are doing very well too.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
His biggest blemish continues to be keeping Cappy and the U of Maine crew aboard, but they are winning games right now in spite of that, so for the moment I can't hate on it as much as I have in the past. Still would love to get some legit coaches in the future though.
The roster he put together should easily be a playoff team, especially with the added scoring/2 way players he brought in, the key D moves, and the goaltending improvements which seemed to have turned things around from a very underwhelming start. Bridgeport is stocked with talent and are doing very well too.

Which is kind of the purpose of my post. Think of how good this team is/should be RIGHT NOW, and then think that most of these guys aren't even done developing yet. Not to mention guys like Dal Colle, Reinhart, and Pulock who are grade-A prospects who have yet to even crack the lineup. The overall potential of this group is huge.

You're right, we should be a playoff team this year. Once these guys settle in and hit their prime though(Tavares, Nelson, Strome, Lee, Bailey, de Haan, Hamonic, Leddy, Hickey - it's possible that we've yet to see any of these guys at their respective peaks), it's scary to think of just how good this team can be. Just comes down to "when", more than "if", for me.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What a great post in so little words. I love the team now and I'm happy we are out of the rebuild. I expected it to be shorter especially after that playoff series. But the fact still remains that Snow missed out big time on goalies that offseason. And then he useful all of our prime assets for Cal Clutterbuck and Vanek who isn't even on the team anymore.

The Vanek trade hurt, but in some twisted way it may have been the spark needed to push this team into win-mode. The fear of handing Buffalo a generational talent while we sit back with nothing to show for it(well, almost nothing). Maybe that's a bad thing, that Snow needed something like this to happen to give him that kick in the ass(if that even was the reason, which it probably wasn't), but whatever. For whatever reason, we're here now, and the team is good.

With Nino, it is what it is. Would have been nice to hold onto him, but at that point it may have done more harm than good. Garth got the best that was available, and value-aside, Clutterbuck has been a serviceable player for us. Every team/administration makes mistakes with a prospect or two. Nino was our mistake. That said, his overall track record with hitting on top picks has far outweighed his misses, IMO. Even a guy like Bailey, who has been highly criticized, has turned out better than most players who were realistic candidates at that spot in the draft.

Overall, most of Snow's moves have panned out, or at least have not hurt us. Finding Grabner, Hickey, and Moulson. Trading for Boychuk and Leddy, obviously - both at great value. Trading a 2nd for Visnovsky, who helped get us to the playoffs and is playing well at the moment. The Kulemin/Grabovski signings look great, and the Halak/Johnson signings completely re-shaped the goaltending position. Even the Vanek trade at least resulted in a move-up chip for Ho-Sang, who looks extremely promising; as well as Collberg, who should provide some nice top-six depth in the near future.

There have been some blunders along the way, but IMO all that matters is the end result, and I don't see one area of concern with this team. Present or future. Goaltending in the pipeline is really the only true question-mark I have, but Snow should have at least another 4 years to draft that guy, or to find out if we already have him in our system(Sorokin).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
And then there is Capuano and the coaching staff. That is a pretty large negative, worse than the foibles you listed, Blinkman. They are entirely on Snow.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Vanek trade hurt, but in some twisted way it may have been the spark needed to push this team into win-mode. The fear of handing Buffalo a generational talent while we sit back with nothing to show for it(well, almost nothing). Maybe that's a bad thing, that Snow needed something like this to happen to give him that kick in the ass(if that even was the reason, which it probably wasn't), but whatever. For whatever reason, we're here now, and the team is good.

With Nino, it is what it is. Would have been nice to hold onto him, but at that point it may have done more harm than good. Garth got the best that was available, and value-aside, Clutterbuck has been a serviceable player for us. Every team/administration makes mistakes with a prospect or two. Nino was our mistake. That said, his overall track record with hitting on top picks has far outweighed his misses, IMO. Even a guy like Bailey, who has been highly criticized, has turned out better than most players who were realistic candidates at that spot in the draft.

Overall, most of Snow's moves have panned out, or at least have not hurt us. Finding Grabner, Hickey, and Moulson. Trading for Boychuk and Leddy, obviously - both at great value. Trading a 2nd for Visnovsky, who helped get us to the playoffs and is playing well at the moment. The Kulemin/Grabovski signings look great, and the Halak/Johnson signings completely re-shaped the goaltending position. Even the Vanek trade at least resulted in a move-up chip for Ho-Sang, who looks extremely promising; as well as Collberg, who should provide some nice top-six depth in the near future.

There have been some blunders along the way, but IMO all that matters is the end result, and I don't see one area of concern with this team. Present or future. Goaltending in the pipeline is really the only true question-mark I have, but Snow should have at least another 4 years to draft that guy, or to find out if we already have him in our system(Sorokin).

I will never get annoyed at Snow for the initial move to get Vanek. Vanek is a superstar in my opinion. I also think trading Moulson to get him was a great move as well. From what I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong) Snow wouldn't offer Nino and the first for Bernier. Vancouver wanted Nelson so he shot that down and rightfully so.

The deadline deal to trade Vanek was just handled so poorly. Montreal took advantage of the situation. WHY WHY WHY wait until literally the second to trade a guy who everybody knows you NEED to trade.

Also I just want to say the Nino situation was not on Snow at all. If I had NHL talent let alone top five and my NHL GM who will make me a millionaire soon says "hey listen kid it's not your time yet go play in the Bridge with Nelly and Stromer." my reply would be "yes sir."

Seriously I don't think some of these guys realize how lucky they are :shakehead
But hey we have a great up and coming team now so who am I to complain?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
In all New York major sports
Yankees - blah
Mets- worse blah
Nets- blah
Knicks - worse blah
Giants- blah
Jets - worse blah
Rangers - playing 500 hockey
Devils - playing 500 hockey
The most exciting team in all New York major sports is the New York Islanders.
Playing well, constant engines running for the players, close group,
I gotta agree he deserves credit. Let's all chip in for a Chipotle gift card.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Let's say that Boychuck doesn't sign.

Snow could go into this coming draft having surrendered a 1st, two 2nds, and fifth, for players who were all rentals (one of whom never played a single game for the Islanders).

That's some weak asset management right there.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Snow could go into this coming draft having surrendered a 1st, two 2nds, and fifth, for players who were all rentals (one of whom never played a single game for the Islanders).

Yeah, Snow should never have traded for Boychuk - too risky - and we've been doing so well in past years that we simply didn't need a guy like that. :shakehead

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

to be fair, he could trade Boychuk. and, the 1st could be a middle to late rounder. he got two 2nds (sorta resulting in Hosang), Collberg, and whatever he gets for Boychuk, for 3 pending UFA's. i really thought that people were overvaluing Molson, and Vanek is not a premier player either, IMO. Snow was wrestling with one arm tied behind his back, so he didn't have many options, other than playing the waiting game, and like a desperate rat, jumping into the garbage heap quickly, gathering the best scraps that he could.

none of us know what he's been offered,or had offered, to be honest. hard to legitimately rate him, based on a number of guesses.

i honestly don't think he did great, but don't think he is as bad as many had claimed. would still rank him about a C/C+.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I really hate the way Garth has managed some of our assets in the trade with the Wild and Buffalo but other then that I cannot complain...

We're in a prime cap position to at least acquire another top 6 forward via trade or next FA with Visnovsky coming off the books, Boulton, Conacher, Carkner, Yashin's 2.2M, and whoever else I did not mention.

Of course guys like Nelson, Boychuk, and Leddy are going to have to be resigned but we will be able to take advantage of those cap strapped teams again.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

If they know Bouchuk wont sign then they could probably trade him for a first round pick. Not a big deal. Plus we have Reinhart and Pulock coming up to fill the spots or we could go out and trade for someone like Yandle. I'm not worried.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I see your point but imagine this:

We only get Leddy, and he gets hurt along with the usual Vis injury. Now we are back at having a brutal defense and we hear Buffalo say "with the top two picks in the NHL Entry Draft..." I for one was very pleased with the Boychuk move, especially if he resigns here. But you know what? Look at that prospect pool. It's so damn deep. As long as this doesn't become a constant thing with trading the picks, I was very happy with the Boychuk move.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If they know Bouchuk wont sign then they could probably trade him for a first round pick. Not a big deal. Plus we have Reinhart and Pulock coming up to fill the spots or we could go out and trade for someone like Yandle. I'm not worried.

I don't think we will need to trade Boychuk anyway but we won't get a first rounder for him. Let's be honest who REALLY think Boychuk won't test the market first? He will most likely be the best dman on the market. Although he may love LI and stays like Vis did.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I don't think we will need to trade Boychuk anyway but we won't get a first rounder for him. Let's be honest who REALLY think Boychuk won't test the market first? He will most likely be the best dman on the market. Although he may love LI and stays like Vis did.

Then we get two seconds for him, exactly what we gave up.

If he decides to test the market and the Isles know this then they will move him for a better or similar deal to what they got him for.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL

If he decides to test the market and the Isles know this then they will move him for a better or similar deal to what they got him for.

Exactly. RHD are a premium on the market. If he doesn't resign we will get the same if not better deal.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

If the Isles are sitting in second place of the division by the trade deadline and Boychuk is going to test would you trade him? It just comes across like that so I'm wondering.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Very premature we are 10-5 and that can change.. but I see your points

Snow... pluses are outweighing minuses, however, he failed to fire Cappy in the offseason and now the team will be too good to fire Cappy and not good enough to go deep in the playoffs with him, the infamous Terry Murray syndrome.. which LA took care of in their first cup season

I think the need to bring in a veteran forward will be huge at the deadline... I still am in favor of getting Yandle and dealing Boychuk if we can't sign Boychuk...

Snow needs to be given some credit for the past in dumpster diving, which has brought in meaningful pieces for seasons like Moulson and PAP... and Hickey was a dumpster dive.

If Nino scores 70 points a season and Clutterbuck gets 20 points a seasons for the next 3 years... I would still want Clutterbuck, he is a very unsung player with tons of heart, that we have missed on this team for a long time.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I will never get annoyed at Snow for the initial move to get Vanek. Vanek is a superstar in my opinion. I also think trading Moulson to get him was a great move as well. From what I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong) Snow wouldn't offer Nino and the first for Bernier. Vancouver wanted Nelson so he shot that down and rightfully so.

The deadline deal to trade Vanek was just handled so poorly. Montreal took advantage of the situation. WHY WHY WHY wait until literally the second to trade a guy who everybody knows you NEED to trade.

Also I just want to say the Nino situation was not on Snow at all. If I had NHL talent let alone top five and my NHL GM who will make me a millionaire soon says "hey listen kid it's not your time yet go play in the Bridge with Nelly and Stromer." my reply would be "yes sir."

Seriously I don't think some of these guys realize how lucky they are :shakehead
But hey we have a great up and coming team now so who am I to complain?

EXCELLENT post, and I wanted to highlight exactly why the NYI skimped on goalies - the rumors regarding Bernier and Schneider came from too many sources on draft day for me not to see LA/VAN trying to fleece us out of a pick. Regardless, he team's cap concerns (cough.....ownership) dropped his value as well.

Anyways, this Snow supporter from the start thinks it's good to see more fans nodding in assertion that he isn't Satan incarnate and may just be 15 gams into pulling quite a coup.

'Con los terroristas.' :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad