Post-Game Talk: Sniffly Jets 5 Brady Led Punching Bags 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The coach Helly worked with in the off season was in concert with Flats, and no NHL level coaches work with players in the off season, so players need to find their own off season help. When Helly won the Vezina he went out of his way to thank Flats and say he couldn't have done it without him. Also, everyone of our recent backups has been over performing expectations, after joining the Jets. Also interestingly we had a complete regime change at the NHL coaching level except for the goalie coach. I'm guessing Bones liked his work and Helly wanted him to stay.

I believe people were on Flats early on because we had really bad goalies he couldn't magically wave a wand and turn into good goalies. And, no one actually knows what really happens with the goalie coach and his goalies so they just threw things at the wall. But, I'd be curious if there is actually something that Flats does or doesn't do that you believe makes him a good or bad goaltending coach. We do this continuously around here for Maurice and he is no longer even with the organization.
I think backup sample sizes are simply too small to draw conclusions from. They just don't play enough and there's little consistency between their seasons. Replacement level goalies are capable of putting together stretches of elite play...just like Vezina level goalies can have off-games/stretches/seasons.

Hellebuyck's been dominant at every level of hockey he's played. Pavelec was meh or worse. Goalies just are who they are.

Part of my arguments against Flaherty were that since the Jets seemed unwilling to move on from Pavelec, they might as well have tried to bring in a different goalie coach, since Wade wasn't having much luck. Also, as goalie coach, Flaherty might have impressed upon Chevy that Pavs just didn't have the right stuff (although when you listen to former goalies who are now in the broadcast booth, it seems like it's never a goalie's fault when a puck gets past him, so maybe that's just a blind spot).

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Rittich is happy today because more people know how to spell his name right. He does not need a shine job.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maurice should look at this year's edition of the Jets and realize that he has no business coaching in the NHL. Fire himself from the Panthers and go back into TV. I would welcome him back to Wpg as Sawyer's replacement. :laugh:

Whoever also was responsible for the PK (whether Huddy or Maurice or some combination of the two) should also do some serious self-reflection. With the rest of the play atleast you could make the argument that it wasn't their play but Helle having a subpar season last year and now being back to his old self being the difference. But with the PK there is no such excuse. After a decade of owning one of the worst PKs in the league the team is suddenly above average with minimal personnel changes. The Jets PK from the last decade should be used as an example by rest of the coaches as a live example of what not to do.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I still have a hard time understanding what exactly a goalie coach does. There is very little time in season to work on technique etc.

In season technique adjustments - eg. your glove is a little high

Scouting the opposition goaltender- eg. he has a weak glove

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Thank you Oilers for beating the Stars!!!
Lots of Central teams were on a winning streak heading into tonight. Some positive news on the out of town scoreboard could help to manage the inevitable hiccups we may have over the next few weeks.
Why more hiccups than usual we looked fine against several top teams we are getting Ehlers back in a few weeks?
We played Seattle almost to a draw till the back to back caught up to us without schmidt or Wheeler.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Maurice is still coaching ?
Didn’t he retire and move to Florida.😜
Based on what we know now about him never talking to the players (as stated by the players), I'd say he retired in Winnipeg a few years back but showed up at the rink to collect a TNSE paycheck. Now, the results look like he is doing the same thing but in warmer weather. Except it won't take Zito 7 years to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad