Pre-Game Talk: SNES @ HBAS, Tues 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Cant beat em on the ice so they gotta try and beat em on the streets eh. Classic Montreal.

Truly baffles me how they have so many points. Their roster is awful, team full of 2nd and 3rd liners. No true elite elite talents in the organization.
It is fair to observe that Habs are likely getting more points than expected whereas Sens are getting less. Considering we just got our very first OTL (aka 'loser') point of the season, it's not hard to prove that point. Hopefully the coaching changes right the Sens ship and they continue to improve defensive play, smart effective team hockey, win some and managed to scratch out a more points as they go. Some might argue tanking is best to optimize their draft lottery pick. Sadly, it is more important to use the balance of this year to figure out which players are coachable/salvageable and which aren't.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and bert

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Tkachuk and MacEwan will play and MTL fans will cry that we're gooning it up. Meanwhile they are in love with goon cart wrangler wifi supreme.
There's no doubt the Sens have more than enough tough players to handle anything the Habs care to throw at them. Sens out-class them pound for pound. My only concern is that they will goon it up on Stütztle with cheap shots, which they have done for many games now. No stupid penalties please Ottawa, but be sure to put some policing on the ice with him!

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Brady better not fight wifi, Montreal wins the coincidental penalty and it’s not close. I don’t like how he obliged the Jets guy for a clean hit.
Brady can and should play tough as nails out there, but smart tough play, not taking himself out of the game with some ham-handed opponent who he risks getting injured by. Not happy that Dorion signed Mac to a 3 year contract when all he has shown so far is that he can tire out opponents by absorbing punches. Damn guy gave Watson what seemed like his first win on Sens ice. Ottawa does not have a good track record with enforcers/policemen but that should not mean Brady is obliged to take care of things every time.

Last edited:

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
O
Not sure why they think they need a goon/sheriff. Ottawa doesn't strike me as a team that is prone to fighting.
Ottawa is 6th in major penalties with 99 from 2018-2022
Source: Which teams have fought the most from 2018-2022.

Not sure if I can get a breakdown just yet, but judging from the eye test it does seem like the Sens do get into fights often, and almost always at games that I attend.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There's no doubt the Sens have more than enough tough players to handle anything the Habs care to throw at them. Sens out-class them pound for pound. My only concern is that they will goon it up on Stütztle with cheap shots, which they have done for many games now. No stupid penalties please Ottawa, but be sure to put some policing on the ice with him!
Yeah, I expect lots of slashes to the calf, cross-checks, shoves, and gloved punches near the benches during changes. I don't think a big push-back is required, just play hockey and focus on defense.

Reactions: WallyD

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Chabot-Chychrun
Brannstrom- JBD

Overhaul required. Lipstick on a Pig administered by a 2 year old.
View attachment 808693View attachment 808694

Only thing I am leery of there, forwards wise, is the Stü and Bath combo, the same line. Both are similar players, as in high skill but defensively higher risk. Of particular concern is that Mtl always goons it up on Stü. Bath is not exactly a deterent or able to help protect him. Sure, Grieg is more hard-ass, nasty, but that's asking a lot of him, to cover two softer play skilled players. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Trying Branny on RD only lasted one game? I thought he looked just fine, and certainly better than Chychrun.

Just was too short to intercept that one high pass that led to the 3-on-1.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Only thing I am leery of there, forwards wise, is the Stü and Bath combo, the same line. Both are similar players, as in high skill but defensively higher risk. Of particular concern is that Mtl always goons it up on Stü. Bath is not exactly a deterent or able to help protect him. Sure, Grieg is more hard-ass, nasty, but that's asking a lot of him, to cover two softer play skilled players. I guess we'll see.
JM says there maybe a couple game time tweaks.

My view generally is .. just stick up for yourself.. You are not always going to get the matchup you want just don't back down

Reactions: Flamingo and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brady can and should play tough as nails out there, but smart tough play, not taking himself out of the game with some ham-handed opponent who he risks getting injured by. Not happy that Dorion signed Mac to a 3 year contract when all he has shown so far is that he can tire out opponents by absorbing punches. Damn guy gave Watson what seemed like his first win on Sens ice. Ottawa does not have a good track record with enforcers/policemen but that should not mean Brady is obliged to take care of things every time.
Ottawa enforcers/policemen: Neil, Carkner, McGrattan to name only 3!

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I've been talking shit about the Habs recently, saying that "Habs losing to the Sens is a tale as old as time", so I hope our boys got my back tonight! If not, you know who to blame...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gretzky had two policemen riding shotgun with him at times in Edmonton and LA: Semenko and McSorely.

Greig is not a policeman type; he is more of a disrupter. :)

If Montreal starts to take runs at our skilled players, then our bigger tougher policeman should be the response on the next shift.

JM says there maybe a couple game time tweaks.

My view generally is .. just stick up for yourself.. You are not always going to get the matchup you want just don't back down
Yes but featherweights don't do well against heavyweights, so . . .

Reactions: WallyD

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gretzky had two policemen riding shotgun with him at times in Edmonton and LA: Semenko and McSorely.

Greig is not a policeman type; he is more of a disrupter. :)

If Montreal starts to take runs at our skilled players, then our bigger tougher policeman should be the response on the next shift.

Yes but featherweights don't do well against heavyweights, so . . .
When do heavyweights jump featherweights? and I would not call them featherweights most of them are 190 + .. I think its much todo about nothing.
Play your game, play hard.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So have you come around to what I’ve been saying for a few weeks now?

J Martin will not be the full time head coach next season.

I keep pointing to the Vancouver example, who fired BB I think Jan 24th last year, and brought in RT, and they used the rest of last season to get to know each other, who was buying into the new coaches system, and working out all the New Coach Growing pains…

Then in the off-season the veteran GM of Vancouver tweeted the roster, and the team was ready and primed to start the 2023/24 season from the get go……. And a team that finished the points below Ottawa, and 12 points out of the playoffs and now sitting first overall in points, and second overall in P%.

J Martin was retired, had not worked in the NHL for a few years, and was convinced to come in as a consultant….. and was roped into the interim coach position because our rookie GM has his heart set on someone (for head coach) that will not be available until the offseason, whenever that person is fired, or their contract expires….. and the new coach, at training camp, will involve a learning curve, with his system being implemented, and that will extend well into next season…. We don’t need another extended (into the regular season) training camp……. Why not bring in the best available head coach now, and begin the process and get it over this season, that is already written off?

Why Jacques Martin is because you are dealing with maybe the 2nd most important person in franchise history coming in to work the the most important person in franchise and you have a coach with the most credibility of any coach in Ottawa history and he’s completely turned the team around. There’s also an issue of unfinished business and Jacques coming back here to write the final chapter. I don’t know if Jacques wants to coach next year - but I do know I’ve always been a Jacques Martin fan and what he’s done with this roster in 3 weeks to me is incredible.

You needed an himest evaluation of the players after DJ was gone - that was the most important thing it wasn’t getting back into the playoff hunt (the 2nd most important thing) we see now players like Kelly, Batherson, Sandy (playing unbelievable under JM he went to another level), Joseph, Tarasenko are excelling under his system. And you see Kubalik, Branny don’t really fit the team. Jacques Martin has been watching hockey in rinks in Ottawa for 70 years - he’s turned the franchise around.

Stanley Cup with his name on it riding down Elgin is the mic drop for Jacques Martin but he’s done amazing with these players and in the here and now this is exactly what this team needs

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When do heavyweights jump featherweights? and I would not call them featherweights most of them are 190 + .. I think its much todo about nothing.
Play your game, play hard.
I agree that each player must play his game and play hard and smart; however, if a big physical player targets one of our skilled players, then a response from a big physical player may be required. I would always have 1 and possibly 2 in the lineup each game to address teams that target our best players. I don't want Tkachuk having to do it against a 4th liner or third pair D., as he is more valuable playing than sitting in the box.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree that each player must play his game and play hard and smart; however, if a big physical player targets one of our skilled players, then a response from a big physical player may be required. I would always have 1 and possibly 2 in the lineup each game to address teams that target our best players. I don't want Tkachuk having to do it against a 4th liner or third pair D., as he is more valuable playing than sitting in the box.
As long as they can play. Kasty and MacEwen are our big body guys that can fight. I would play Chartier over Kasty because he is a more effective player.
You have to be an effective player or your are playing short handed and just keeping a guy on the bench in case.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why Jacques Martin is because you are dealing with maybe the 2nd most important person in franchise history coming in to work the the most important person in franchise and you have a coach with the most credibility of any coach in Ottawa history and he’s completely turned the team around. There’s also an issue of unfinished business and Jacques coming back here to write the final chapter. I don’t know if Jacques wants to coach next year - but I do know I’ve always been a Jacques Martin fan and what he’s done with this roster in 3 weeks to me is incredible.

You needed an himest evaluation of the players after DJ was gone - that was the most important thing it wasn’t getting back into the playoff hunt (the 2nd most important thing) we see now players like Kelly, Batherson, Sandy (playing unbelievable under JM he went to another level), Joseph, Tarasenko are excelling under his system. And you see Kubalik, Branny don’t really fit the team. Jacques Martin has been watching hockey in rinks in Ottawa for 70 years - he’s turned the franchise around.

Stanley Cup with his name on it riding down Elgin is the mic drop for Jacques Martin but he’s done amazing with these players and in the here and now this is exactly what this team needs
What an insane motivational typer you are. I'm all in f*** a doodle doo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille