Ansar Khan: Smith re-signed for 2 years @ 2.75 million per season

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Smith has had undeniable moments specifically during the past two playoff runs where he was our best defensemen. I'm very optimistic that under Blashill we may see Smith gain his confidence and bring this level of play on a more consistent level. This kid could still become a very dynamic second paring D. If Smith could become what he has shown flashes of I would have absolutely no complaints with him and Dekeyser as a second pair.

Can anybody pull up the stats on how many penalties Smith draws in relation to how many he has taken during the last two playoff runs? He did take a couple bad penalties but it always seemed like he would draw more. He can really get under guys skin when he wants to.

Outside of the possibility of getting to see Larkin play I am most excited about what Smith could potentially bring under Blash.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Holland just has to keep every home grown guy, doesn't he? Now granted Smith is better than Kindl, but holy **** is that a low threshold. Blowing nearly $6 million in cap space on guys who have been in and out of the lineup on a team with one of the worst defensive corps to actually make the playoffs. :shakehead

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Mediocre player, just the way Kenny likes em. Only words that are disallowed in this forum are suitable for Ken Holland.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Did people actually expect the Wings to let Smith walk...? He's not any less tradeable than he was before, and he's not being paid so much that he's above being benched if he doesn't pick his game up under the new coach. I don't get complaining about this signing... the term actually turned out perfectly, which is probably the most important thing with a guy like him.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Holland just has to keep every home grown guy, doesn't he? Now granted Smith is better than Kindl, but holy **** is that a low threshold. Blowing nearly $6 million in cap space on guys who have been in and out of the lineup on a team with one of the worst defensive corps to actually make the playoffs. :shakehead

What exactly was Holland supposed to do? Let Smith walk and then potentially go into the season with an even worse defensive corps than last year? Would that have made you happy? Because clearly he hasn't had much success bringing anyone else worth a damn into Detroit.

Smith isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

Oct 18, 2006
I don't get how people think that just because Blash is coaching all of a sudden Smith turns into a really good player. I love Blash as much as anyone, and maybe we see some improvements in Smith, but I doubt at his age he suddenly clicks and becomes the guy we thought we were getting when he was drafted. He's still going to have the same flaws, do the same stupid stuff, yes his confidence might improve and he might get more PP time leading to slightly better numbers, but he's still the same guy. He is what he is.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't get how people think that just because Blash is coaching all of a sudden Smith turns into a really good player. I love Blash as much as anyone, and maybe we see some improvements in Smith, but I doubt at his age he suddenly clicks and becomes the guy we thought we were getting when he was drafted. He's still going to have the same flaws, do the same stupid stuff, yes his confidence might improve and he might get more PP time leading to slightly better numbers, but he's still the same guy. He is what he is.

Well you are right... he isnt going to be a #1/2 Dman, likely not even a #3.

But is he better than Marchenko???

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What exactly was Holland supposed to do? Let Smith walk and then potentially go into the season with an even worse defensive corps than last year? Would that have made you happy? Because clearly he hasn't had much success bringing anyone else worth a damn into Detroit.

Smith isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

He's paying the following guys way above their pay grade:

• Kyle Quincey: $4.25 million
  • Brendan Smith: $2.75 million
  • Jakub Kindl: $2.5 million

So that's nearly $10 million per year for guys who aren't good hockey players and have no future in Detroit. Holland should have let Kindl and Smith walk. He should have never traded for Quincey much less signed him to a new deal.

Do you really think these guys are solid NHL players? If so, please answer the following:

1. Why was Quincey traded twice in a short period of time from LA to Coloardo and then from Colorado to Tampa/Detroit? Do teams generally let "key" players go, particularly when the return is so meager?

2. What is Jakub Kindl's future in Detroit?

3. Brendan Smith's saving grace was that he was viewed as a "playoff performer". Does his performance down the stretch this past season fill you with confidence that he's trending in the right direction? Is 2 points over the last 2 months of the season what has you so positive about his future as an offensive d-man in the NHL?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He's paying the following guys way above their pay grade:

• Kyle Quincey: $4.25 million
  • Brendan Smith: $2.75 million
  • Jakub Kindl: $2.5 million

So that's nearly $10 million per year for guys who aren't good hockey players and have no future in Detroit. Holland should have let Kindl and Smith walk. He should have never traded for Quincey much less signed him to a new deal.

Do you really think these guys are solid NHL players? If so, please answer the following:

1. Why was Quincey traded twice in a short period of time from LA to Coloardo and then from Colorado to Tampa/Detroit? Do teams generally let "key" players go, particularly when the return is so meager?

2. What is Jakub Kindl's future in Detroit?

3. Brendan Smith's saving grace was that he was viewed as a "playoff performer". Does his performance down the stretch this past season fill you with confidence that he's trending in the right direction? Is 2 points over the last 2 months of the season what has you so positive about his future as an offensive d-man in the NHL?

Quincey got more money because his term is shorter. That's how contracts work. If he had signed for 4 or 5 years he'd be in the $2.5-$3 million per. I think Quincy is fine as a #4 or #5. I don't think he's a problem with the team at all, and in fact I wouldn't mind him sticking around on the bottom pair for the long haul if the top 4 improves over the years.

Any defenseman playing in the top 6 on an NHL team is worth at least $2.5 million. That's just what defensemen go for nowadays, even the below average ones.

Oct 18, 2006
Once upon a time I understood the Quincey hate, and I partook in it as well. But he had a good season and I'm fine with him now as a 2nd pairing guy. Don't understand the frustration with him.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Once upon a time I understood the Quincey hate, and I partook in it as well. But he had a good season and I'm fine with him now as a 2nd pairing guy. Don't understand the frustration with him.

Yes he had a good season. But we need guys that can produce and defend!!! Right now, we only have Kronwall. DeKeyser might produce 40pts someday.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Reasonable take, however I would point out that DeKeyser made Quincey look good and Kronwall made Smith look good for short stretches. So I would say let's give credit to the guys who are stirring the drink and realize there are guys who benefit from the pairings they get.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
What are the odds of this being a sign and trade for say, a 2nd or 3rd round selection next year?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
DeKeyser might produce 40pts someday.

DeKeyser would have lead the defense in points if he he saw the same amount of powerplay time as Kronwall did. He'll be fine once he earns his ice time.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
DeKeyser would have lead the defense in points if he he saw the same amount of powerplay time as Kronwall did. He'll be fine once he earns his ice time.

I don't see it that way, he makes a good first pass out of the zone but he doesn't seem to have the offensive instincts or shot of a powerplay QB. I think he will end up in the 30-35 range for most of his career with maybe and outlier season or two.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

His production per PP IT was garbage, Kindl's was much better. Babcock also said point blank it's not his calling card, too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't see it that way, he makes a good first pass out of the zone but he doesn't seem to have the offensive instincts or shot of a powerplay QB. I think he will end up in the 30-35 range for most of his career with maybe and outlier season or two.

I don't even see good first passes from him. To me he's a simple player, off the glass and out. He plays the defensive side just fine but I don't see any offensive chops.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's only 2 years so it's not that big of a deal, but Brendan Smith is terrible.

I don't understand what people see that make him think he would be any good on the powerplay....other than he it is much less likely to create a scoring chance for the other team when he turns it over

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I don't even see good first passes from him. To me he's a simple player, off the glass and out. He plays the defensive side just fine but I don't see any offensive chops.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I used the wrong choice of words. I just find him poised when under pressure, can make a good outlet pass but not threading a needle sending us on a "fast break" or anything.

Back on topic though, I'm happy with this signing. If for nothing else it is short term so it carries little risk. I still think there is some potential that maybe Blash can get out of Smith. Using him on the PP and not "dumbing" down his game for starters would greatly benefit his game. He is a risk/reward type player if you want offensive production out of Smith. I am willing to allow him to make bonehead plays if he is at least producing offensively...last year he was making boneheaded plays while not producing because his game was "simplified" by Babcock so much.

If he doesn't do squat this year I think he still has value at this caphit/term.

Kronwall - Smith
Dekeyser - Quincey
FA/Marchenko - E
Kindl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad