Ansar Khan: Smith re-signed for 2 years @ 2.75 million per season

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
With Blashill I feel Smith will be benefitting the second most only behind Pulkkinen. He will get PP time and given the chance to be more aggressive on offense. I expect around 40 points from him. Good contract for both parties.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Thats a decent deal. basically the same deal Kindl got, but less risk of him falling apart and being stuck with him for 3 more years.

I also think Blash will let him play a more offensive role.

Aug 6, 2012
I really believe Smith will excell under Blashill, provided he's put in the correct role for once in his career (besides his first 14 games).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Like the signing, a perfect bridge contract for him to prove himself or to ship him outafter. Our defense would be extremely soft without Smith as well.

Not going to make or break the team but I like it

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Good. I'm still a fan of Smith.

Think he can be a PP QB and a top 4 D-Man.

I completely agree. Out of all our young defenseman, (not including Dekeyser) I think he has the highest potential.

Smith has been inconsistent, but now that he has played 200 games, maybe it all starts to come together. We've seen flashes of very good play before. He has always looked good next to Kronwall, and he played well against Boston and Tampa in the playoffs.

2 seasons ago, he scored 19 ES points which put him in some very good company if I recall correctly.

I'm willing to give Smith one more chance next year with Blash. I think if he can earn time in the Top 4 and on the 2nd PP next season he will do well.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
That's a good deal. A bit surprised Smith was willing to sign for longer than the one year he needed to get to free agency. If he figures things out there is time to get him signed to a long-term extension. If he doesn't you move him for whatever you can get a year from now.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Meh, almost 3 million for a guy who I tend to forget is even on the team? Not a steal, but 2 years won't make or break the team.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, and Quincey. Red Wings for life.
I think Smith is what he is...a mediocre to slightly below mediocre d-man who doesn't have any strengths to his game aside from being a good skater. The good thing is he's being paid about on par for what he's been, and if he continues to be what he has been he will be fairly easy to dump. So in that sense I don't hate the deal. He won't be on the team by either this season's trade deadline or next summer.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Smith will get around 30 points if he gets powerplay time, And if he doesnt suck at the start of the year like he always does, That contract is pretty good

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
I know I said I was done with him after that god awful bench penalty, but honestly do think he deserves a legitimate shot under Blash.

He will hopefully be finally given some time on the power play and/or be allowed to play a more aggressive offense driving role.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, he's back. Not sure what I expected. Might as well enjoy the ride and hope he improves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->