Injury Report: Smith 12/23/16 (concussion), out at least 7-10 days

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Great suicide pass and even with it being a clean hit you have to react to that and go after Kronwall. That pretty much shows how ****** characters this team is full of now.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Great suicide pass and even with it being a clean hit you have to react to that and go after Kronwall. That pretty much shows how ****** characters this team is full of now.

The team went over to him. What would getting a penalty have solved?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Go after Kronwall ?

I hope all his teammates shout some f-BOMBS at M&M ! He played a great game though, but you got to be aware with that pass, come on ! Responsability on the player IMO.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
The team went over to him. What would getting a penalty have solved?

That you actually give a **** about your teammate! Kronwall lowered his head and his helmet caught Smith in the face. Bleeding profusely when he left the ice.

Going over to talk to Kronwall and not fight him showed how soft this team is to play against.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Great hit by Kromwell.

I don't mid there being a big scrum afterwards after a clean hit. It gets quite annoying seeing that all the time after a clean hit tbh.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Right you are PSLguy.

This should be a 4 or 5 game suspension for intent to injure with the helmet. On the initial hit at 55 seconds of the video, Kronwall is leaning the back & side of his helmet into the head/faceshield of Smith creating devastating power to the head area. A millisecond later the back of his torso strikes Smith in the chest. However, the damage is done as Smith is bleeding in the nose area from the force of the blow and concussed for who knows how long.

There is a video of Kronwall's dozen or so big hits, and they all have one theme.......to injure. He always has the same stupid "who me?" look on his face. He is no better than Gudas as he is looking to seriously injure and end someones career on gray area hits. Also, a coward as he refuses to fight anyone. The Domi sucker punch to Samuelsson is the answer for guys like that. There is a reason why initial hits by a helmet to the head are banned in the NCAA and suspension worthy in the NFL.

I'm sure the Cats will send a video to the league and demand a suspension but it will fall on deaf ears as again some player is one step closer to one more hit from ending his career. Way to go NHL. I hope you pay a billion bucks on those class action law suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lo1iHbXyKw

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
That was a clean, unfortunate hit. Kronwall even looked like he was hitting Smith square into the crest with his shoulder. I just don't see him leading with his helmet as much as its a result of heads colliding.

Matheson deserves some responsibility for putting his winger in a tough spot.

Hopefully Smith is back in a week.

Not sure what people expect his line mates to do? Kronwall wouldn't fight anyone and the last thing we need to do is take a penalty.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Right you are PSLguy.

This should be a 4 or 5 game suspension for intent to injure with the helmet. On the initial hit at 55 seconds of the video, Kronwall is leaning the back & side of his helmet into the head/faceshield of Smith creating devastating power to the head area. A millisecond later the back of his torso strikes Smith in the chest. However, the damage is done as Smith is bleeding in the nose area from the force of the blow and concussed for who knows how long.

There is a video of Kronwall's dozen or so big hits, and they all have one theme.......to injure. He always has the same stupid "who me?" look on his face. He is no better than Gudas as he is looking to seriously injure and end someones career on gray area hits. Also, a coward as he refuses to fight anyone. The Domi sucker punch to Samuelsson is the answer for guys like that. There is a reason why initial hits by a helmet to the head are banned in the NCAA and suspension worthy in the NFL.

I'm sure the Cats will send a video to the league and demand a suspension but it will fall on deaf ears as again some player is one step closer to to one more hit ending his career. Way to go NHL. I hope you pay a billion bucks on those class action law suits.

absolutely!!!!! helmet on helmet hit. how is that clean????? i knew smith was concussed when i saw the helmet to helmet. this is similar to the hit on barky that had the same effect and there was no suspension there. we lost barky for what a month? the freaking league needs to do something about these hits. i don't care if the player is looking down, leading with the helmet, or elbow should be suspendable.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Kronwalls hits have always been just at the edge borderline dirty.

Hit itself was not dirty this time.

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Right you are PSLguy.

I'm sure the Cats will send a video to the league and demand a suspension but it will fall on deaf ears as again some player is one step closer to to one more hit ending his career. Way to go NHL. I hope you pay a billion bucks on those class action law suits.

The only way to stop hits like that and other guys who have an intent to injure is for the league to penalize them. The refs thought it was clean, ok, but the NHL has a duty to player safety to protect them, and a way to do it is fine/suspend.

If they dont, then next game the Panthers will put someone out there for revenge and it will be a cycle of guys getting hurt, then retribution, etc.

I think there is a time and a place for guys to fight and stand up for themselves, but the only reason they do that, is because the league turns an eye on those hits and/or refs dont make those calls.

I also think the hit looked clean at first and wasnt a head shot BUT watching the replay you can see Kornwall makes contact with Smiths head first, in which case, illegal. Did he mean to? Prob not, but it still happened.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
The only way to stop hits like that and other guys who have an intent to injure is for the league to penalize them. The refs thought it was clean, ok, but the NHL has a duty to player safety to protect them, and a way to do it is fine/suspend.

If they dont, then next game the Panthers will put someone out there for revenge and it will be a cycle of guys getting hurt, then retribution, etc.

I think there is a time and a place for guys to fight and stand up for themselves, but the only reason they do that, is because the league turns an eye on those hits and/or refs dont make those calls.

I also think the hit looked clean at first and wasnt a head shot BUT watching the replay you can see Kornwall makes contact with Smiths head first, in which case, illegal. Did he mean to? Prob not, but it still happened.

agree, except i believe kronwell knew good and well what he was doing and has a reputation for it as well!

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
agree, except i believe kronwell knew good and well what he was doing and has a reputation for it as well!

Kronwall is a hard hitter, if they allow it and he doesnt get punished, why would he stop or not take that chance?

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
If they dont, then next game the Panthers will put someone out there for revenge and it will be a cycle of guys getting hurt, then retribution, etc. .

Unfortunately, the Panthers don't have anyone, other than McIrath who Rowe refuses to play, that is able to perform that task!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^The wording change to Rule 48.1 to include the verbiage "contact to the head was avoidable" gives the Player Safety Committee latitude on a head shot decision. When is it avoidable referring to the Smith hit?: First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent's body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward. Hard to determine what that actually means, but if I'm reading it correctly it all comes back to "intent" to hit the head. So in other words the Refs and the Players Safety Committee are given latitude.

If you look at Kronwall's history he has knocked a few players unconscious like Heatley and Havlet, which were before the addition of rule 48.1. These both were deliberate intent to hit the head. The Avs and Wings had a long playoff history of retribution as Kronwall was boarded and knocked unconscious by McCleod. He then began to bend at the waist and jump in the air to bring his torso up so that he used his butt and torso as the primary point of contact. Recently he went back to his old school ways and just about knocked Kucherov into Siberia in the playoffs not long ago as he left his feet and leaned towards his head and knocked his helmet off. Got a one game suspension.

Instead of bending at the waist and turning his hip more to minimize the chance of helmet to face, he again partially pivoted to his backside but leaned into Smith head first. So yes, it was avoidable if he had pivoted more to his backside in lieu of leaning forward. By the way, this is the second time Smith has been Kronwalled. He was not injured the first time so I guess Kronwell felt he owed Smith. Ban open ice hits and part of the concussion problem goes away. ;)

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Guys were just skating around like the puck went out of play....Unbelievable.
It's amazing that most teams elect not to go after the guy. When he hit Kucherov, the Bolts did the same thing.

He has this mild mannered look about him that is non-threatening or aggressive. It's disarming to the opponents. Also, when a player pivots like that it's almost like a hip check except you don't have a full bend at the waist. He made no attempt to make his usual full pivot with Smith and actually partially pivoted and leaned into him contacting the head then the body. Make no mistake that he has the temperament of a cold assassin.;)

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
7-10 days?

Multiple it by 10 to get the date Smith is close to 100%, with our luck.

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Unfortunately, the Panthers don't have anyone, other than McIrath who Rowe refuses to play, that is able to perform that task!

And what will he do? Fight Kronwall? And solve what? Make you feel happy we stuck up for our players while Reilly is out for a week if not more?

Change the rules to prevent Smith from getting hurt in the first place.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I had a 3B on my HS team in All Stars who was very "cavalier" with his throws let's say. He threw floater up the line one time. I got blew up by the runner going down 1B line. I think I was out for 5-15 seconds. My glasses were all bent or else I would've went back into the game. Coach wanted me back in the game but glasses were too bent to see right , face was so swollen after the game.

That reminded me of Matheson pass. Smith likely not too happy with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad