Post-Game Talk: Small victories, Jets win 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Likely thinking arb this summer then one more season and I'm headed for the bright lights. Lou would love to have him on the island. PLD has to know by now Chipper looks after his buddies first.
And I don’t blame him based on usage losing locker room extraordinary amount of snow.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t want perfetti to learn defence from Scheif and wheeler I know that

your second line are not big guys - Scheif might be 6’3 but he plays finesse

That is where strong coaching comes into play to make sure bad habits don't sneak in. Cole also has a good head on his shoulders so I doubt he starts cheating for offense like Mark.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It actually sucks that there’s now finally a Jets game every other day for the next 2 months and it’s all basically meaningless. Kind of just want to fast forward to the off-season so hopefully we can make some meaningful changes here.
We are only 6 points out with 29 games left...........:naughty:

Reactions: BigHulkingThickV

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That is where strong coaching comes into play to make sure bad habits don't sneak in. Cole also has a good head on his shoulders so I doubt he starts cheating for offense like Mark.

Agree. Not going to happen. Cole is as smart as they come, and has the pedigree and skillset to resist coaching he regards as unhelpful, I suspect. He's going to play as close to a complete game as he can, just as he did on the Moose.

He's already a better defensive player than 2019-2022 vintage Scheifele, and will eventually be able to produce like him, IMO. And a whole lot of that has to do with engagement and willpower -- although I don't think 55 had or will ever have 91's brain on or off the ice, despite his undoubtedly elite offensive instincts.

Reactions: surixon

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
The irony is that that it hasn’t even been under our noses all season, it was out in plain sight when they were dominating the league before Christmas.
Svech’s utilization after Wheeler came back is just a complete mystery.

Wheeler is personal friends with Chipman. How is any of what happened a mystery? Priorities

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Svech was clearly sacrificed in an attempt to get Wheeler going. Then he couldn't produce playing with the likes of Vesalainen and Lowry so he was benched.

I agree that it was clear that PoMo was trying to get Wheeler going and thought he'd be able to bring what Svech did but that line sucked and Svech didn't do much with his limited minutes other than take some selfish penalties at inopportune times.

Dave Lowry made a comment before they moved him back up (that I wish I could find now) that made me wonder if Svech maybe openly complained about being demoted which led to him being placed in the doghouse for a bit. I can't blame him if that is indeed what happened as he chooses to come here and sign a 1 year "show me" deal and he gets on a line with his linemate from Junior in PLD and one of the best scorers in the NHL and they are producing and then he's shuffled off to 4th line minutes while they try to get Wheeler going... That sucks but he's the captain and a superstar on this team so you get it.

Then Perfetti gets a chance there and the line clicks again and you think... I'm probably not going to get that spot back unless there's an injury in the top 6. Perfetti gets hurt and still they don't put you back there as Stas and Copp get looks. Then Copp gets hurt and they pick up a guy off waivers and play him in the top 6 instead of you...

Then finally when there are no other options they put the original line back together and it starts clicking again.

At this point, when Perfetti comes back I can still see them giving that spot to him, but maybe you play Stas Copp Wheeler as a line as Stas and Wheeler will like playing together and Copp will like showcasing his skillset at C. That would mean 4th line Lowry but for a playoff team that would probably be the look.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I agree that it was clear that PoMo was trying to get Wheeler going and thought he'd be able to bring what Svech did but that line sucked and Svech didn't do much with his limited minutes other than take some selfish penalties at inopportune times.

Dave Lowry made a comment before they moved him back up (that I wish I could find now) that made me wonder if Svech maybe openly complained about being demoted which led to him being placed in the doghouse for a bit. I can't blame him if that is indeed what happened as he chooses to come here and sign a 1 year "show me" deal and he gets on a line with his linemate from Junior in PLD and one of the best scorers in the NHL and they are producing and then he's shuffled off to 4th line minutes while they try to get Wheeler going... That sucks but he's the captain and a superstar on this team so you get it.

Then Perfetti gets a chance there and the line clicks again and you think... I'm probably not going to get that spot back unless there's an injury in the top 6. Perfetti gets hurt and still they don't put you back there as Stas and Copp get looks. Then Copp gets hurt and they pick up a guy off waivers and play him in the top 6 instead of you...

Then finally when there are no other options they put the original line back together and it starts clicking again.

At this point, when Perfetti comes back I can still see them giving that spot to him, but maybe you play Stas Copp Wheeler as a line as Stas and Wheeler will like playing together and Copp will like showcasing his skillset at C. That would mean 4th line Lowry but for a playoff team that would probably be the look.

Imagine getting this level of tough 'love' while Scheifele floats around with one hand on his stick for 25 minutes a game. Is it any wonder this team looks disjointed half the time.

Reactions: Guardian17

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Three scoring lines and all these issues are solved, but that would be too obvious a solution for this org.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm gleaming that there seems to be a general consensus about rolling 3 scoring lines, with Lowry essentially as the 4C. Been screaming this from like November onward. I know Lowry has been on a nice little scoring spurt as of late, he's now on pace for 18 pts!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm gleaming that there seems to be a general consensus about rolling 3 scoring lines, with Lowry essentially as the 4C. Been screaming this from like November onward. I know Lowry has been on a nice little scoring spurt as of late, he's now on pace for 18 pts!

Yeah seemingly this org has spent 2/3 of the year trying to get certain players going and it's resulted in this giant cluster f*** of a season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

When everyone is healthy I think this works. Lately it's been a little tough to roll 3 scoring lines.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
When everyone is healthy I think this works. Lately it's been a little tough to roll 3 scoring lines.

Yeah but they have hitched their wagon to Lowry with that long term deal and will try to force skilled players around him at 3C again.

Reactions: Atoyot

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah seemingly this org has spent 2/3 of the year trying to get certain players going and it's resulted in this giant cluster f*** of a season.
Part of me is beleive it when I'll see it though.

We had Hayes relegated to 4C to make sure Lowry had his 3C spot.

Last year no complainant for Lowry as 3C he was solid.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah but they have hitched their wagon to Lowry with that long term deal and will try to force skilled players around him at 3C again.

I think it'll take a new coaching staff to change that mindset. It won't happen this season. Lowry as a 4th line C that gets 8-10 minutes a night wouldn't be a bad thing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it'll take a new coaching staff to change that mindset. It won't happen this season. Lowry as a 4th line C that gets 8-10 minutes a night wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yeah it will take a completely new coaching regime.

It will be a moot point in a couple of weeks anyhow as we likely sell off Copp and Stastny.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Ouch. That hurts seeing it in writing even more. Terrible usage.

Reactions: None

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Lowry brings a lot of other intangibles to the Jets line up -
I know we base a lot of player worth on offense but he is one of those that might warrant 3rd line minutes based on other attributes (defensive play, shut down, and toughness) -
Sometimes those things can add a lot in filling out a good team.
That might all translate to 4th line at some point - but I think it will be more than 8-10 min's when you take into consideration his utility.

Reactions: Orrrules

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lowry brings a lot of other intangibles to the Jets line up -
I know we base a lot of player worth on offense but he is one of those that might warrant 3rd line minutes based on other attributes (defensive play, shut down, and toughness) -
Sometimes those things can add a lot in filling out a good team.
That might all translate to 4th line at some point - but I think it will be more than 8-10 min's when you take into consideration his utility.

I value outscoring and he hasn't done much of that in a few years.

It would be one thing if he was still suppressing other teams like he did back in 17-18 but he's not really doing that nor is be generating offense.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

It would be one thing if he was still suppressing other teams like he did back in 17-18 but he's not really doing that nor is be generating offense.

:laugh: Yes, I know you do - I'm not trying to convince you otherwise -

The blender we had to deal with and the shortage of contributing pcs in the bottom 6, have made Lowry's role a bit more complicated.
And it won't get any easier with Copp likely on the way out.
I don't think Lowry has regressed - but the 3rd line sure has. Find another Tanev and Copp and see how they do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
:laugh: Yes, I know you do - I'm not trying to convince you otherwise -

The blender we had to deal with and the shortage of contributing pcs in the bottom 6, have made Lowry's role a bit more complicated.
And it won't get any easier with Copp likely on the way out.
I don't think Lowry has regressed - but the 3rd line sure has. Find another Tanev and Copp and see how they do.

See this sums up issue with him and his usage. He seemingly needs good and very specific type of linemates to be successful.

If you can find those pieces I think you can get a good suppression line around him. The issue is we don't have those pieces, but have pieces to form a different type of third line. But they still force feed him those minutes and try to force players to fit him and his game.

It just sums up my frustration with this org lately. Trying to force players into roles they aren't suited for instead of building something around the players you have.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
See this sums up issue with him and his usage. He seemingly needs good and very specific type of linemates to be successful.

If you can find those pieces I think you can get a good suppression line around him. The issue is we don't have those pieces, but have pieces to form a different type of third line. But they still force feed him those minutes and try to force players to fit him and his game.

It just sums up my frustration with this org lately. Trying to force players into roles they aren't suited for instead of building something around the players you have.

Most 3rd line centers do - he's no different. And by "very specific" I assume you mean 2 way players - because that's what he had.

The main factor that doesn't get enough attention is the fact that he can do a lot of the hard things that the offense guys struggle with - he adds a nice mix to a bottom 6 line that has value.
You move him to the 4th line with a couple of plugs, he probably gets 6 - 8 minutes (plus PK) - and that goes against what I stated in my original reply to another poster.
But if you move him down with what we have, he's another plug and all the things he brings end up sitting on the bench.

I could be convinced other wise if we actually had the pcs to make up a scoring 3rd line - looks like we might have some scoring a couple of years away and that would be the time to move him down IMO.
I'm also assuming Stastny and Copp are on the way out -

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

If he performed like 17-18 no one would be saying squat. Roughly 0.5ppg with insanely good shot/chance share metrics.
Every cup winning team over the past few years has had a couple bottom 6ers putting up 15-20 goals 30-40(+) pts (along with good to great shot/chance share metrics). Lowry should be one of them for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad