WWE: Smackdown Live 23 - When will AJ invest in a protective cup?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The last two Smackdown's have made me want the show's be 30 minutes longer. Maybe both Raw and Smackdown would be better at that length.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I love Bryan, but very glad Joe won. I'd rather not see Bryan in a lasser match at this point in time.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
FWIW I'm at the show. We got a dark opening match of Jeff Hardy versus Shelton Benjamin for the US championship and we're getting a dark main event of Carmella versus Charlotte for the Women's belt.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd be happy if KO just stuck to the tag division at this point, dude has been so bad for a while now, but then poor Sami is also stuck in the tag division so idk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be happy if KO just stuck to the tag division at this point, dude has been so bad for a while now, but then poor Sami is also stuck in the tag division so idk
I don't think Owens has been bad at all. I think he's been stuck in shit storylines and forced to carry Shane's carcass for too long,.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Owens is entertaining as hell. His matches have been pretty meh, but outside the ring, promo work he’s among the best.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think Owens has been bad at all. I think he's been stuck in **** storylines and forced to carry Shane's carcass for too long,.
His last great match was two years ago vs. Sami Zayn.

He didn't have showings that were to be expected with the likes of Seth Rollins or AJ Styles. He DID get a pass with Jericho from me until Jericho had his renaissance run in NJPW and proved he can still go, so I'm just led to believe that Owens has been lazy as hell for two years now, Shane or not.

Fine character work, good promos, but in-ring? Such a lazy worker at this point.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I agree. Owens has been in a serious rut in the ring but it's happened to so many people. Dean permanently lives in that rut unless he's facing Seth. Seth had a period where he wasn't overly entertaining etc.

It's kinda hard to explain especially in the case of guys like Rollins and Owens (not so much with Ambrose. He's just not that good). Maybe they want to work safe...maybe it's a perfect storm of iffy booking...who knows

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I agree. Owens has been in a serious rut in the ring but it's happened to so many people. Dean permanently lives in that rut unless he's facing Seth. Seth had a period where he wasn't overly entertaining etc.

It's kinda hard to explain especially in the case of guys like Rollins and Owens (not so much with Ambrose. He's just not that good). Maybe they want to work safe...maybe it's a perfect storm of iffy booking...who knows
Seth is the most curious case I recall off the top of my head. He lost ONE move, the curb stomp, but it was like he lost every bit of confidence he had without that move as he was recycling through finishers trying to find something. Curb stomp returns and he's stealing the show again.

Ambrose is disappointing as all hell in the ring unless it's vs. Seth or AJ. Reliable to the company, sure, but boring. Owens too. Those two in the ring are channel changers for me if I was watching like I used to.

Balor is lucky he's smaller and can work a different style (underdog) in the storytelling sense otherwise he'd be there too. My gripe with him is his character -- or lack thereof.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I thought Seth's was attributed to working a bit cautiously after the double knee injury and having a never ending feud with HHH but it does seem...odd that he gets the curb stomp back and suddenly he's out working AJ.

(Not saying he's better than AJ in general. Just that he's having a better couple months in the ring)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think it is laziness as much as it is working the crazy WWE schedule and not wanting to kill themselves early or miss crazy time due to injuries.

You get it with KO having a family, and Dean definitely settled down when he won the belt. It isn’t very entertaining match wise, but I don’t blame them. Plus it isn’t like creative in the back is really pushing for high work rate matches.

They most likely feel they are past the point of needing to kill themselves to get noticed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Great match last night between Cedric Alexander and Buddy Murphy for the title.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Great match last night between Cedric Alexander and Buddy Murphy for the title.

Absolutely a match of the year candidate at this point. It's a shame more of the live crowd didn't stick around for it, but those who did were definitely into the match.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Seth is the most curious case I recall off the top of my head. He lost ONE move, the curb stomp, but it was like he lost every bit of confidence he had without that move as he was recycling through finishers trying to find something. Curb stomp returns and he's stealing the show again.

He lost a crappy move and gained an iconic one, the pedigree. It was more likely his character's complete lack of direction after he returned.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He lost a crappy move and gained an iconic one, the pedigree. It was more likely his character's complete lack of direction after he returned.
His pedigree was weak as hell though when you compare it to Triple H's, and people knew that was Triple H's move. It wasn't a good look at all for a babyface Seth to be using that move against anyone other than Triple H.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Using someone else's finisher doesn't give you an iconic move. It gives you a move that will always be seen as worse than the original and puts you into the shadow of the person you're taking it from. The pedigree didn't help and would never help him. Finishers should be yours and not someone else's. It's why the Miz's use of the figure four never stuck. It's why nobody cares about anyone who uses the crescent kick now.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Using someone else's finisher doesn't give you an iconic move. It gives you a move that will always be seen as worse than the original and puts you into the shadow of the person you're taking it from. The pedigree didn't help and would never help him. Finishers should be yours and not someone else's. It's why the Miz's use of the figure four never stuck. It's why nobody cares about anyone who uses the crescent kick now.

Anything was better than what he had. He's got alot of talent, you'd think he could come up with something better than a weak knee or the "stomp". The pedigree is better than both of those.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Anything was better than what he had. He's got alot of talent, you'd think he could come up with something better than a weak knee or the "stomp". The pedigree is better than both of those.

Rollins' stomp is objectively better in every single way than Rollins' pedigree. His pedigree was like watching someone wrestle for the first time every time.

Reactions: Hypernova

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You say the stomp like it’s bad. It’s his best move, and there’s a reason it got the pop it did when he brought it back. It’s HIS move. The fans know that. The pedigree is HHH’s move. It would have never worked. He cycled through a few moves after the curb stomp was banned and none stuck or had that “oomph” as a finish. The knee was weak as hell too.

The stomp returning is legitimately the best thing that happened to Rollins since his return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad