In Memoriam Smack66

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Another hole in the HF roster. Gone too soon. 😢
Condolences to his family - seems they were very important to him.
He seemed to accept his fate and was very gracious. We have been messaging back and forth since last Summer. I sent him a message because I hadn't seen him post and knew he had been sick.

I thought it would be nice to find out something about him since he has been on this board for a number of years. He was nice to share a little time to tell me about himself and his family.

Last August I asked Steve to tell me a little about himself and he sent me this.

"My name is Steve MacNaughton, I've spent most of my life in Cornwall Ont. I'm married to my high school sweetheart Carole and have two daughters Megan and Lora who each have a daughter Ruby and Andie. I spent my career working for Canada Border Services and found out about my progressive cancer about one month after retiring. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by family and friends helping me through this journey. I grew up a Bruins fan in Leafs and Habs territory and like many people my age it was simply because of Number 4. that's pretty much me in a nutshell. I will try to post occassionally but find my mind wandering during these days and will not likely be as active as usual. tell me about yourself I'd you dont mind"

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
RIP, Steve. I’ll miss seeing the Lego avatar.
Screenshot 2022-05-24 222727.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So sad. We've lost 3 posters that we know of in what, about a year and a half?

:(

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have never shared this story

4 or 5 years ago we had a major issue getting a TV truck across the border from Vermont and I ranted in a pregame thread.

Steve sent me a PM asking me to call him and I did. He asked what POE location we were at and I said Stanstead/Derby Line and said he would inquire. Mind you I only knew him as a poster here.

TEN MINUTES later the agent who had been downright nasty stamped all of the paperwork and grumbled NESN and the Bruins obviously has influence with our government.

1653455583004.png

I called Steve back and told him we were in and he said 'I know' and all he said was he worked for Canadian Border Services. What he didn't tell me was he was one of big bosses. All he said was the agent didn't like the Bruins markings on the truck.

To this day we have never had a major issue crossing the border since.

RIP Steve.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So sad. We've lost 3 posters that we know of in what, about a year and a half?

:(

@Bruinaura - Posters come and go like ships in the night.

We have always been an 'anonymous' board so when somebody vanishes you wonder.

When I became ill 2 days before Christmas I was able to text Wally that I might be in trouble and subsequently found out that if I had not called 911 when I did I would be cheering the team from the clouds.

I have been dealing with Bruins internet boards since Compuserve, GEine, Delphi, and a robust Bruins email listserve.

I got into wars with the most passionate Bruins fan I have ever encountered online - Ian from New Brunswick.

1653464603785.png

I am certain Ian lurks here and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that no Bruins fan I have ever met hates Montreal more than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad