Olympics: Slovakia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
And not just players... As I said in the game day thread, Coach Ramsay's first sentence in the post-game interview was: "I'm very pleased." :eek: WTF is he talking about? If he's serious, he should resign immediately. A new Hanlon? No thanks!

By the way, the TV reporter wisely "forgot" to translate that opening sentence into Slovak (in fact, he "diplomatically translated" pretty much the opposite of what Ramsay said), because it would doubtlessly create an instant outrage among Slovak viewers. However, quite a few viewers no doubt understand English, so I believe the outrage will be there, sooner or later. Especially if Ramsay is really as clueless as this, to believe that he can say, and most importantly feel, something like this after such a performance.

You simply can't afford to be a Slovak national team coach and say this. That's Glen Henlon, Version 2. If Canadian coaches can't understand the Slovak mentality, including the Slovak fans' mentality, they should just leave. It's one thing to fail miserably like we did today, but to fail miserably and be proud of it just can't be stomached.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The trouble is, Assistant Coach Országh, too, gave an interview titled "We Haven't Disappointed in Any Game": :eek::mad::confused:

https://sport.sme.sk/c/20764765/orszagh-ani-v-jednom-zapase-sme-nesklamali-zoh-2018.html

If Országh really said this and believes this, and it's not just a sensationalist headline invented by the journalist, he should resign immediately along with Ramsay.

That would be American-style "positive thinking" at its worst, completely foreign to Slovak mentality.

If you want to improve yourself, first of all be honest with yourself. Don't lie to yourself. If you failed miserably at this tournament the way you did (11th place ahead of only Korea!), SAY IT! Don't pretend to be content, don't say "I'm very pleased" after an embarrassing loss, and don't say "We haven't disappointed in any game" after an embarrassing tournament.

If Slovakia's coaching staff don't get these fundamentals, they need to resign right away.

Reactions: Elvs and Hesher

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
The trouble is, Assistant Coach Országh, too, gave an interview titled "We Haven't Disappointed in Any Game": :eek::mad::confused:

https://sport.sme.sk/c/20764765/orszagh-ani-v-jednom-zapase-sme-nesklamali-zoh-2018.html

If Országh really said this and believes this, and it's not just a sensationalist headline invented by the journalist, he should resign immediately along with Ramsay.

That would be American-style "positive thinking" at its worst, completely foreign to Slovak mentality.

If you want to improve yourself, first of all be honest with yourself. Don't lie to yourself. If you failed miserably at this tournament the way you did (11th place ahead of only Korea!), SAY IT! Don't pretend to be content, don't say "I'm very pleased" after an embarrassing loss, and don't say "We haven't disappointed in any game" after an embarrassing tournament.

If Slovakia's coaching staff don't get these fundamentals, they need to resign right away.

He's got to be kidding. For example, the first 30 minutes against Slovenia was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen us play. We couldn't get out of our own zone. If that's not disappointing I don't know what is.

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Could be that when you get a job on the national team, you lose all sense of reality. :( GM Šatan was at least less defensive in his post-tournament statements, but Ramsay's outrageous first sentence (!) following the 1-5 loss against the US, "I'm very pleased", had to be positively "kept secret" by the Slovak media in order not to enrage the TV viewers and fans.

I noticed Slovak TV avoided replaying Ramsay's comments and, like I mentioned, even in the original interview, the reporter made sure not to translate that sentence, and, in his "translation", claimed pretty much the opposite of what Ramsay actually said. Very wise!

Ramsay may be a top-notch hockey expert, but in order to work in a foreign country, you need to understand the mentality of the people and the country you're working for. Perhaps it's too early for him to have learned that after just half a year, but someone from the "native Slovak staff" should at least explain those things to him, instead of parroting him like Országh did.

This was Glen Henlon's ultimate downfall – he had no clue how to deal with Slovak mentality. And I admit dealing with Slovak mentality is anything but easy. But I'm afraid if Ramsay persists in the approach illustrated by his unbelievable statement, the result will be a string of disasters like under Henlon's reign. 2002 world champion René Pucher said so in an interview yesterday: "I'm not sure Canadian coaches are a good fit for our mentality."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hesher

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
Hey we were the only team to beat the gold medal winning team that has to count for something, right? ....right ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad