Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
The failure of Finland this year might end up being very bad news for Slovakia next year. By my count, if Finland finishes 9th (highly likely) and Slovakia 8th (will happen unless we beat Sweden), we will end up in the same group with Finland next year together with the teams that finish 1st, 4th and 5th. Our only hope for having a playable group opponent next year is that Denmark finishes 5th (as long as there are no upsets, they should be 5th).

Well, no upsets, so DK is in Slovakia's group, and that team should be playable, especially given the supposedly stronger group of SVK players we can expect next year.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Well, no upsets, so DK is in Slovakia's group, and that team should be playable, especially given the supposedly stronger group of SVK players we can expect next year.

I actually didn't realize that next year Canada and US will play some special game at the WJC so they just put them in the same group disregarding the results from this year. So we will get USA and Canada, Finland and for some reason Belarus. Top 2 teams and bottom 3 teams from this year.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
I actually didn't realize that next year Canada and US will play some special game at the WJC so they just put them in the same group disregarding the results from this year. So we will get USA and Canada, Finland and for some reason Belarus. Top 2 teams and bottom 3 teams from this year.

I was under the impression that SVK was with Denmark and Finland. Where did you get the information that it is Belarus and not Denmark?

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
Radovan Bondra Traded from worst to best team in WHL and 1+1 on his debut game for Prince George. I don't get it, best player on the worst team in the CHL at first, then manages 1+1 in a stacked Prince George team on debut, but went pointless at WJC.

What gives? Makes me think that the whole tactical setup of Slovakia there was not conducive to goals? I mean, not a single point for him at WJC if he's PPG in the WHL?!?!

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Radovan Bondra Traded from worst to best team in WHL and 1+1 on his debut game for Prince George. I don't get it, best player on the worst team in the CHL at first, then manages 1+1 in a stacked Prince George team on debut, but went pointless at WJC.

What gives? Makes me think that the whole tactical setup of Slovakia there was not conducive to goals? I mean, not a single point for him at WJC if he's PPG in the WHL?!?!

National competition is something different. Especially on WJC, where also the low level teams are playing tight hockey without much room. in WHL you have teams and "teams".

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
You have to think the New USHL import rules effected this move. Next year an Import goalie in the USHL will count for 2 import slots. Hrenak currently plays on a team that both goalies are imports and the other goalie is a '99 and currently an A rating by CSS.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Ernest Bokros will not continue as U20 head coach. Don't know what you guys think, but in my mind he did quite a good job overall. Wonder who they bring in to replace him.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
I'm curious about Pavol Regenda (Dukla Trencin). Can you guys tell me what kind of player he is?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Couple of Slovaks players in Cedar Rapids (USHL) fall camp. Jakub Urbanek and Marek Valach

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It's been a while since this thread was last updated. A few Slovak prospects are doing well at the moment:

There is Christian Jaros who got a few NHL starts, but is now back down in the AHL and injured. Peter Cehlarik just came back from an injury and was just called up to the Bruins.

In the OHL Flames prospect Adam Ruzicka is currently 3rd in OHL scoring with 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points in 20 games.

In the WHL Milos Roman has picked up his pace lately and leads all rookies with 20 points for 6 goals and 14 assists in 20 games. He has scored a goal and added 5 assists for 6 points in the last 3 games.

And it seems like Michal Ivan has adjusted to the NA game pretty quickly picking up a goal and an assist and being +2 in his first 6 games in the Q. Has anyone seen any reports on how he has actually been doing?

Over in Europe 2001 born Maxim Cajkovic has scored a goal and added 4 assists for 5 points in 10 games which ranks him 8th in scoring among his age group (but most players ahead of him have played more games). He also led the Slovak NT u18 team in scoring at the 4 Nations tournament last week.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There are also couple guys doing well in USHL and NAHL.

Unknown Marek Valach. Samuel Bucek also and dont forget to Jakub Lacka, currently in top 10 in scoring. Matej Tomek is under-performing.

Adam Stacho (1999), Solensky (1998), Mucha and Murin (1997). Plus goalie Juraj Ovecka (1999). There are (were) other goalies, but they dont have such good numbers as Ovecka.

Goalie David Hrenak is OK in NCAA. Adam Huska should improve.

And im also curious, how will it continue with Peter Melcher (2001) and Artur Turansky (late 2001). Goalie Patrik Lietava (2000) seems also promising. They are playing in high school leagues in USA.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Melcher is already back in Slovakia, playing for Martin's u20 team. I'm not sure I understand the age limits for the American high school leagues since you have 2001 born players playing in u16?

I think that Bucek, Lacka and Valach have a bigger chance to make it to the WJC than Hrehorcak or Liska as Bokros prefers to take older players to the WJC.

I was hoping that Tomek would be able to turn his career around in the USHL, but it doesn't seem that way.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Marian Studenic scored a goal and added 3 assists in last night's game. He stated very slow in the OHL, going pointless the first five games, but he got 9 points in the last 5 games alone and is at 17 points in 21 games so far.

In other news, Peter Cehlarik scored his first NHL goal last night.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Melcher is already back in Slovakia, playing for Martin's u20 team. I'm not sure I understand the age limits for the American high school leagues since you have 2001 born players playing in u16?

I think that Bucek, Lacka and Valach have a bigger chance to make it to the WJC than Hrehorcak or Liska as Bokros prefers to take older players to the WJC.

I was hoping that Tomek would be able to turn his career around in the USHL, but it doesn't seem that way.

Im not sure about Valach. He was unknown to this season. He didn't played any international game for Slovakia. Not even in U16, U 17 and U18. And left for USHL. That is not the way Bokros like.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Valach made it to this list of u20 NT players that is posted on the federation's website among published information, so they are aware of him at least:
https://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/userfiles/file/Zverejňované info/SVK U20.pdf

But it's tough to say whether he will make it as the competition is quite big this year. Liska has had a bit of an offensive awakening this last week, so he might not be completely out of question for the WJC

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Valach made it to this list of u20 NT players that is posted on the federation's website among published information, so they are aware of him at least:
https://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/userfiles/file/Zverejňované info/SVK U20.pdf

But it's tough to say whether he will make it as the competition is quite big this year. Liska has had a bit of an offensive awakening this last week, so he might not be completely out of question for the WJC

What is this PDF?
Btw - Interview with Valach

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I'm not sure what it is to be honest, I just found it here when I was looking for the reports from the executive committee meetings as they used to be under there (they have now been moved to here).

But it says that it's a list of u20 NT players for 2017. There also is one for the u16 and u17 teams but not one for u18. Listst of players registered with the Slovak federation are also available under that link.

Based on that interview it doesn't sound like Valach will make it to the WJC.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
A lot of **** seems to happen to the few good players we have.

Good to see that Pospisil is back in the game, would indeed be nice to seem him play up in the AHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Adam Ruzicka has cooled down in the last few weeks. Marian Studenic on the other hand, seems to be on fire, 12 points in his last 7 games and he is on a 5 game point streak in which he got 8 points. Milos Roman is on a 4 game point streak with 2 goals and 3 assists in those games.

Adam Liska scored a goal and added an assist last night. David Hrenak got a shutout on Saturday, making 40 saves. Hopefully he will get a proper shot at the starter job at the WJC.

Michal Ivan has 2 goals and 6 assists in 14 games in the QMJHL. Nice to see that he seems to have adjusted well, despite coming to the Q later in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad