Slightly Early GOTY 2021 Discussion

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the games that have come out thus far. Obviosuly there are still some really good games coming up before the year is out, just wanted to get the conversation started.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This year has not been good so far IMO. Almost nothing worthy of mention in a GOTY conversation.

1. Psychonauts 2
2. Resident Evil Village

Games that may end up in contention but I haven't played enough of to judge:
Age of Empires IV
Persona 5 Strikers

Upcoming games that may end up in contention:
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Shin Megami Tensei V
Pokemon Generation 4 Remakes

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Psychonauts 2 blew me away, and I adored Hitman 3. Those are my top two, but pretty sure Forza Horizon 5 and potentially Halo Infinite will take the top spot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The only big game I’ve played that came out this year was ME Legendary Edition.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Dread is one that I'm hoping to get to in the next month or so. It looks amazing and my guess is it will be top 3 for me.

So far my list would be;
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Deathloop
  • Returnal
I'll be interested to see Halo, Forza and some of the other games yet to come out.

Sep 19, 2008
This year has not been good so far IMO. Almost nothing worthy of mention in a GOTY conversation.

1. Psychonauts 2
2. Resident Evil Village

Games that may end up in contention but I haven't played enough of to judge:
Age of Empires IV
Persona 5 Strikers

Upcoming games that may end up in contention:
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Shin Megami Tensei V
Pokemon Generation 4 Remakes
I recently upgraded my computer and I've just struggled so hard to find an intersting game made in 2021 to push my computer limits. I've mostly been playing BF4 and Madden 22 and FIFA 22. Not really much out there that interests me.

Maybe Far Cry 6...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I honestly haven't played enough to have a valid opinion yet. I've beat R&C, and played maybe an hour of Deathloop and 3 or so hours of Returnal. Plan to get Metroid Dread soon when I kill off more of my backlog. Of games that are brand new this year (and not next gen upgrades) I've enjoyed probably R&C the most and it felt the most next-gen of anything I've played so far. Personally, I've probably enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima the most of anything I've played this year. I also really liked Control: Ultimate edition. Last year felt much stronger (Ghost, TLoU part 2, Miles Morales, FFVII re-make, Doom Eternal, etc).

With the mass delays caused likely by the pandemic, this year was a bit weaker than expected, but 2022 could be the best year since 2018 (God of War, RDR2, Marvel's Spider-Man, etc).

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I recently upgraded my computer and I've just struggled so hard to find an intersting game made in 2021 to push my computer limits. I've mostly been playing BF4 and Madden 22 and FIFA 22. Not really much out there that interests me.

Maybe Far Cry 6...
Yeah last year we had some heavy hitters in terms of pushing PC hardware with Cyberpunk 2077 and Microsoft Flight Simulator. Nothing from 2021 has come close to those two titles.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People are calling it a weak year, but I dunno-- I got more out of it than I usually do (two games that I feel inclined to replay over and over/borderline speedrun is pretty rare).

Metroid Dread's a pretty easy answer for me. It isn't high budget or really treading on new ground, but those have never been relevant factors for me. I like it quite a bit more than any of the "heavy-hitters" from last year, too (which I don't think nearly as highly of as some others do).

If we're counting updated versions, Disco Elysium: Final Cut is even better and probably enters best of the decade territory for me.

I loved Cyber Shadow too, although that's more of a niche thing that others don't seem to agree with.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Terrible year for me tbh. Going to give FH5 a try next week with game pass and I'll also be playing halo. Right now it's probably the ME trilogy or like Valheim, but it'll probably be halo in the end. Next year is going to be crazy.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Haven't played that much this year that came out this year, but for me it's Age of Empires. HM probably goes to Griftlands.

Hoping to still get Persona 5 Strikers in before end of the year, and that one has potential for me.

Lots of love for Psychonauts in here. Yet another game on Game Pass I want to play but just haven't had the time, not even to mention the indies on Steam on my wishlist I still want to play that came out this year.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I really barely played any big games at all this year. Or maybe there just weren't any big games. Cyberpunk aside which I got my refund back for and haven't looked at again.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Boomerang X, I guess?

Monster Hunter Rise feels like the biggest game of the year but I'm waiting for it to be on something other than Switch.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Really weak year. The game I enjoyed the most was a parody game of the original Metal Gear called UnMetal. Definitely one of the funniest games I've ever played and the game play is solid on top of it.
Metal Gear parody... solid gameplay...?

I see what you did there.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Metroid Dread is my GOTY, but I feel it's a bit too short for what I expect from the best title. It speaks to how weak this year has been. That said, it's been great for my backlog.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think that there's a set length of duration for what the best game should be, personally, and I don't really agree that it speaks to anything. Especially in the case of something like Dread, which is designed for pace and repeat speed running/sequence breaking, and would probably feel bloated if much longer.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
At this point it's safe for me to say that Halo Infinite is among my top 3 games of the year, probably #2 behind Psychonauts 2. Forza Horizon 5 would be #4.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Sony exclusive games are going to own the GOTY. They’re that good. The only Xbox Games I see making a GOTY are Psychonauts 2 or Forza. Forza being the better of the two.

Halo is a beta so it’s not considered a release.

Honorable mention to Mass Effect remaster, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding Directors cuts. These all are amazing releases.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Sony exclusive games are going to own the GOTY. They’re that good. The only Xbox Games I see making a GOTY are Psychonauts 2 or Forza. Forza being the better of the two.

Halo is a beta so it’s not considered a release.

Honorable mention to Mass Effect remaster, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding Directors cuts. These all are amazing releases.
What Sony games even came out this year? Ratchet and Clank and Returnal? I have a PS5 but haven't bothered to pick up either because R&C looks like the exact same game as the reboot and Returnal is a game id much rather play with keyboard and mouse.

As for the Halo beta not counting, unless the game somehow becomes infinitely worse upon release its still going to be the best multiplayer shooter we've had in years. I'd say the best since 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad