Slafkovsky vs Marner for a playoff run

Slafkovsky or Marner for a playoff run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Why does a player need to have played in the playoffs to be taken over Marner? Marner has already shown many times that he's not good in the playoffs. It won't difficult for a player to perform better than Marner in the playoffs.

Bedard and B. Tkachuk have never played in the nhl playoffs. Would anyone really take Marner over either of them for a playoff run?
47 points in 50 playoff games is not good these days lol

Slaf 48 points in 78 games, regular season. One of these things is not like the other.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
How come you never talked about points?
because my argument isn’t that Slafkovsky is better at all He’s the one with the ridiculous comment that’s Slafkovsky is a bust with 19 goals. My point being a great player in marner hit 19 goals in his 2nd season after being drafted so it’s not the shot he thinks it is.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
because my argument isn’t that Slafkovsky is better at all? He’s the one with the ridiculous comment that’s Slafkovsky is a bust with 19 goals. My point being a great player in marner hit 19 goals in his 2nd season after being drafted so it’s not the shot he thinks it is.

Come on even you know Marner and Slaf are not the same thing and VERY likely never will be.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Did I say they were? Did you even read my first sentence? My god

You are trying to make a comparison that does not and never will exist.

What you are doing is essentially the equivalent of comparing Gary Leeman to Auston Matthews because Gary Leeman also has a season of 50 goals.

It doesn't work that way.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
You are trying to make a comparison that does not and never will exist.

What you are doing is essentially the equivalent of comparing Gary Leeman to Auston Matthews because Gary Leeman also has a season of 50 goals.

It doesn't work that way.
you have reading comprehension issues

my argument is literally only that he’s not a bust. which I think is a completely reasonable take. Marner is worlds ahead of Slafkovsky and that’s obvious to almost everybody

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why does a player need to have played in the playoffs to be taken over Marner? Marner has already shown many times that he's not good in the playoffs. It won't difficult for a player to perform better than Marner in the playoffs.

Bedard and B. Tkachuk have never played in the nhl playoffs. Would anyone really take Marner over either of them for a playoff run?
Whether you think he's good or not he's put up 47 points in 50 playoff games. Slafkovsky hasn't so much as sniffed playoff hockey in his young career.

Saying a player who has never played playoff hockey will be a better playoff performer is absolutely strange. Until he actually does it, and does it better, it's just a guess, and it's not unreasonable to pick the guy who HAS gone a shade under PPG in the post season over his career.

Reactions: Felidae

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's extremely difficult for a player to perform better than Marner in the playoffs when they don't get there, impossible in fact.

The poll question is hypothetical...

Last year in the playoffs Marner had 14 pts in 11 games

Year before that 8 pts in 7 games.

I don’t even know why I’m bringing this up. I’m comparing these stats literally to nothing. Because that’s what Slaf is in the playoffs. Literally nothing.

Make the playoffs twice then argue when Slaf goes ppg+ in two playoff appearances.

So you would take Marner for a playoff run over any of Bedard, B. Tkachuk, and Tage Thompson?

47 points in 50 playoff games is not good these days lol

Slaf 48 points in 78 games, regular season. One of these things is not like the other.

47 pts in 50 is pretty bad when we're talking about a near 100 pt player in the reg season, especially when we look at the goal totals. Marner is playing with Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares so he's still going to put some points even if he's not playing well.

Whether you think he's good or not he's put up 47 points in 50 playoff games. Slafkovsky hasn't so much as sniffed playoff hockey in his young career.

Saying a player who has never played playoff hockey will be a better playoff performer is absolutely strange. Until he actually does it, and does it better, it's just a guess, and it's not unreasonable to pick the guy who HAS gone a shade under PPG in the post season over his career.

I'm not saying its unreasonable to take Marner. I'm saying its not unreasonable to take Slaf.

Slafkovsky has the attribute of a player who you would expect to thrive in the playoffs (6'3 230 lbs high compete physical and skilled power forward). Taking this kind of mystery box over an underperforming playoff player isn't a bad bet.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Marner has been very bad by Marner standards in the post season, but still produced at an okay pace
Rookies rarely do well their first post season.

This isn’t a serious poll

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Close it up , I'll vote slaf tho in honor of the thread
giphy (22).gif

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The90

Feb 27, 2017

So you would take Marner for a playoff run over any of Bedard, B. Tkachuk, and Tage Thompson?

47 pts in 50 is pretty bad when we're talking about a near 100 pt player in the reg season, especially when we look at the goal totals. Marner is playing with Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares so he's still going to put some points even if he's not playing well.

I'm not saying its unreasonable to take Marner. I'm saying its not unreasonable to take Slaf.

Slafkovsky has the attribute of a player who you would expect to thrive in the playoffs (6'3 230 lbs high compete physical and skilled power forward). Taking this kind of mystery box over an underperforming playoff player isn't a bad bet.
the 20th highest active p/pg player is ‘pretty bad’ according to you. A fan of a team who’s had 2? 70 point players in 30 years lol good logic.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

By your own logic, Knies is a better choice than Suzuki for the playoffs since he has similar attributes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
By your own logic, Knies is a better choice than Suzuki for the playoffs since he has similar attributes.

No, because Suzuki has already shown to be great in the playoffs, which is the opposite of Marner. Suzuki was the best player (after Price) of a team that went to the cup final. And he did that as a 21 year old.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'd take Marner for a playoff run over any player that hasn't made the playoffs because they haven't madee the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad