Rumor: Skinner looking for 8 years @ 9-9.5 million to keep him from going to the market

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This is why there'll be another lockout. He'll probably get this somewhere from someone then the owners turn around and dont understand how the market got so inflated. Jeff skinner getting $9+ is insanity.
Your probably correct.
Buffalo is in a position to give it to him as well.
Looking over their cap situation, they are in a prime position cap wise on multiple fronts. 4 first rd picks in the next 2 drafts, Moulson and Pominville coming off the books this coming off season, Scandella, Bogosain, Sobotka and Sheary coming off the following season. Combine that with the young'ens in their pipeline doing well and you can see where they are in a comfortable position overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Red Line

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
th

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This is why there'll be another lockout. He'll probably get this somewhere from someone then the owners turn around and dont understand how the market got so inflated. Jeff skinner getting $9+ is insanity.

Why does it matter to the owners what the top players on their teams make? There's a hard salary cap, if Jeff Skinner gets $9M all it means is guys in the bottom half of the roster make less. Now the rank and file of the NHLPA are the people who will have a beef and it will be with the star players for taking too much of the pie.

Your top 6 players average $8M AAV - leaves an average salary of $2M for the other 17 players on the roster. Seems ok to me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Great start to the year, but I can't see him getting significantly more than JVR or Pacioretty or at least 2.5m more. He's still a very one-dimensional player who has obvious warts. I can't see him getting more than 8m, and I'm not sure he can get 8 years at that price.

Reactions: Mork and shortfuze

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018

There's only so much cap room. The market can only be so inflated. There have been plenty of bad contracts (and plenty of lockouts!), but the lockouts generally happen because the owners are greedy and know they can squeeze a lot of money out of guys with limited options and only a shorter window to play in the NHL. That's why every few years it becomes imperative to get a new CBA to drive costs down or the game will simply die. Then they sign a CBA that completely saved the sport and is a total miracle. Then Gary Bettman gets his raise (and spot in the Hall of Fame!). Then the CBA is actually bad now, and the league is about to fold. Then it's not even about just the Panthers, Hurricanes, and the Coyotes, because the Oilers and Flames are in awful trouble too, and desperately need this. Then they lockout the players, the players realize they only have so long to play anyway, they cave, the cap stops rising so fast, we get some free buyouts, the Flyers figure out a new way to spend more money or bury their mistakes, and people start making this post at HF again, and then we get another lockout. Repeat cycle for uh basically my whole lifetime now.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think he stays with the Sabres. He's in the perfect situation and will get a big contract from them. Outside team paying Skinner $8-9 per for that term is little risky. With the cap going up players asking price will also. I expect him to get close to $8 million.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t think he’s worth that much but I know people disagree with me. We’ll see if he can keep that torrent pace up.

Reactions: Ulysses31

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
If you think he's getting Evander Kane money on the open market hook me up with your .....

He'll be the same age Kane was. Has 0.36 goals per game in his career to Kane's 0.32. Equal 0.3 assists per game. Slightly healthier career than Kane. hasn't been chased off a team for being incredibly unpopular with the fans, media, and teammates before. Hasn't been accused of an assault. They're comparable players, and Skinner comes with fewer red flags, and Kane didn't even make it to the open market, so it's probably possible he had the potential to get at least a little more. Whichever one you want probably just comes down to whether you have a need for size or speed.

Next CBA negotiations, you can bet your bottom dollar owners will push for a couple more compliance buyouts!

That's always a weird one because it's owners negotiating vs owners, but Bettman has given it to the wealthier owners the last two lockouts, so the only way I can imagine he won't this time is if there's little to no difference in how the cap functions, which makes me wonder: you're a big market team with big cap mistakes. Would you take a lower cap/tighter loopholes in exchange for buying out a really, really bad contract? There aren't that many that are *that* bad right now, but interesting hypothetical for the next CBA.

Great start to the year, but I can't see him getting significantly more than JVR or Pacioretty or at least 2.5m more. He's still a very one-dimensional player who has obvious warts. I can't see him getting more than 8m, and I'm not sure he can get 8 years at that price.

Pacioretty/JVR were older, though. Skinner will be 27. JVR was 29. Pacioretty was 29 going into a season he'd be 30 for most of, signing a deal a year in advance that would start when he's 30 going into a season he'd be 31 for most of. Skinner's also faster than either of those guys, faster players age better. It depends on the term. If he gets 7-8 years, I can't see him getting $9MM, but if he signs for the 4-5 years that Patches/JVR did, I can see a team saying "well, if it's not working out immediately, we have to rebuild anyway." Not thinking about the cap space on these teams right now because I don't know many off the top of my head, but you could convince me any of the Bruins, Capitals, Sharks, Blues, Blackhawks, Stars, Flames, Wild, Predators, or Penguins would probably have a decent reason to give it a shot.

One thing I kinda think is that we get a little too worried sometimes now that deals can't go longer than 7 years (or 8 for your own guys). If you're signing a guy to a five year contract, for most teams, your window's short enough, what are you gonna do anyway? Making up a scenario here, but if the Bruins decided they were a goal scoring winger away from being legitimate contenders, do they really give a shit about being able to fit in potentially available players when Marchand and Bergeron are 35 and 32? You don't "not care," but I think more teams have more reason to just go for it than we think. Cap will catch up to you, but eventually it gets everyone.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Its all just negotiating tatics, hes basically saying hey since there's no pressure to do a deal now maybe ill throw out this offer and see if sabres accept. If not he will slowly go down. Why not start high in case they go for it?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Next CBA negotiations, you can bet your bottom dollar owners will push for a couple more compliance buyouts!

crazy crazy for sure

the players never lack in hypocrisy, as a hypothetical example player A has one great season signs huge 8 year contract in UFA bought out in year 3 and whines about being embarrassed by the buyout, i'd think they should be embarrassed by not living up to the money they demanded.

the time has come for performance driven contracts(performance bonuses set by mutual agreement between the league and the union reviewable every third year), you could almost guarantee there would then be no buyouts going forward and players would be paid what they're really worth.

if a guy continually shows up both in games played and on the scoreboard, he should be paid, if a guy who once scored a career high 37 goals and is a career .67 ppg, there is no way he should be paid like a guy who is a .90 ppg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad