Player Discussion Skinner appreciation thread.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Even with the 4 GA loss last night, he still looked good. None of the goals were his fault at all. You could maybe argue the 3rd goal, but that was a player coming in alone with a lot of lateral speed. Hard to keep 5-hole covered in that scenario. The others were impossible saves. He was sound all night and I would argue that the score could have been worse without him.

Very solid so far. It is only 5 GP, so we need to temper expectations obviously, but its hard not getting excited about this guy's potential future.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Skinner was good last night and has a high amount of poise. Keep giving that dude his starts. He's got a bright future

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I only saw the highlights so I can't say much about Skinner, but to me it seems he could maybe work with his lateral movement. I don't think he played the situation in the 2nd goal perfectly, he didn't have to get into such a difficult position in the first place. The 3rd goal was not really Skinner's fault, but I think someone else would've moved and stretched himself to a position where he'd had at least a slight chance. Now Skinner looked kind of awkward to me.

I know this is very critical and I believe when you guys say he made some good saves, but I wanted to say I think there's still things he can develop. And that is a good thing as those are fairly easy ways to make a goalkeeper better. I also realize highlights don't really give a proper picture.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
At this point why are they not letting him run with it? He can't be a worse option than Koskinen can he? If there is no deal to be had to bring a goalie in, Skinner should be the starter right now. Yes that's sad but what other option is there?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At this point why are they not letting him run with it? He can't be a worse option than Koskinen can he? If there is no deal to be had to bring a goalie in, Skinner should be the starter right now. Yes that's sad but what other option is there?

Agreed, have him mentor under Smith. Unless we are adding a new goalie in the next week or two, he should be up and Koskinen should be in Bako.

illegalsmile

Nov 27, 2021
Behind you!

Couldn't agree more, he needs to be given a chance to gain some real league experience. Skinner already has decent poise in net and he seems to have a good eye . You're right, he can't be any worse than relying on Kos(?) The fact is, we need someone reliable in net and neither Smith nor Kos can be put in that category... Neither can Skinner really, but hey, what's there to lose at this point?! We already lose every game we play, after being scored upon within minutes of the opening faceoff, so yeah, agreed, let him run with it!

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I didn't realize Smith was coming back so soon, if he stays healthy (Big if) I see the logic in letting Skinner keep getting AHL starts. I feel like the Oilers finally have something in a drafted goalie and he's only 23.

It would be great if Skinner was ready to take the starting job within a few years and hang onto it for 10 years. We haven't had that in a long time. Even Tommy Salo only lasted 5 years and he's the last regular starter I can think of. Sad

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Wasnt a believer in Skinner. Saw him alot since he was a kid & just didn't see the athleticism in him to make me think he would ever be an NHL'r. Just seemed like all those huge programmed goalies that you see a ton of these days. And then when he started with the Oilers he looked (to my eye) really, really bad, confirming my thoughts.
I am amazed as to how good he looks. I would not have thought it possible. Looks like an NHL goalie (not a starter yet) and who knows how far he can take it.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I didn't realize Smith was coming back so soon, if he stays healthy (Big if) I see the logic in letting Skinner keep getting AHL starts. I feel like the Oilers finally have something in a drafted goalie and he's only 23.

It would be great if Skinner was ready to take the starting job within a few years and hang onto it for 10 years. We haven't had that in a long time. Even Tommy Salo only lasted 5 years and he's the last regular starter I can think of. Sad
Rolly. Talbot.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Rolly was 1 good playoffs and another 3 seasons. Talbot wasn't even 4 seasons and only had 1 good season. I'm talking about a guy who can take the net and be solid for a decade
How many of these have even existed the last decade? Rask maybe has been solid a decade? Price has had his struggles, Vasilevsky now? These things you speak of don’t exist in today’s game, best you can hop for his a 1B type guy who can give you 45-50 decent games a year for 3-4 seasons.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It doesn't change the fact that I want this for the Oilers! They do exist, the Oilers just haven't had that guy.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’d hate to think where we’d be without Skinner playing well this year. So far out that the season would be a write off.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

1679605868033.png

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This team (including Skinner) is getting hot at exactly the right time.
Absolutely, it's great to see. I was thinking last game, if this is Skinner's "playoff" level, this team is going to be fine in goal.

Be nice if he won Rookie of the Year but it will probably be Beniers in Seattle.
Maybe, but it's not like he's shooting the lights out, Skinner will get damned close to 30 wins, probably, and that's a hell of an accomplishment for a rookie

Reactions: Zenos

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Absolutely, it's great to see. I was thinking last game, if this is Skinner's "playoff" level, this team is going to be fine in goal.

Maybe, but it's not like he's shooting the lights out, Skinner will get damned close to 30 wins, probably, and that's a hell of an accomplishment for a rookie
Couldnt agree more.

If Skinner can maintain this level then this team is a legit Stanley Cup contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad