Confirmed Trade: [SJS/VAN] Jack Studnicka for Nick Cicek and 2024 6th round pick

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yup. Clearing some cap (700k) and replacing the fifth used to get Zadorov.
Allvin is just too smart.

So basically we traded studnicka and a 3rd in 2040 and got zadorov and cicik plus cap space

Karlsson is probably the first call up. He has already been up for a few.
Yep i forgot about him. Canucks have too much depth for studnicka to come up so trading him for depth d is always good

Reactions: BCNate and Fatass

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah. I thought Studnicka came into camp and did exactly what he needed to, in order to earn a spot in the lineup. Cap shuffling kinda screwed him over. But it also still didn't really look like the improved physical conditioning and effort was quite enough to make him any kind of impact player at the NHL level. Still just a really filler level.

This is ultimately an AHL depth shuffle. Trying to reclaim a a draft pick that'll probably end up thrown into something at the deadline for Vancouver. While also doing a solid for a guy who will probably get another NHL look with the Sharks and honestly deserved it. He's never gonna be more than a depth utility player...but he looked like a solid enough version of that.

In a lot of cases, i'd actually just prefer the "stashed depth" of a guy like Studnicka in the AHL. A guy that i know can play, and he can do it within the current coaches system and not hurt you. That's just extra layers of depth that can be so important.

But Alvin turning a 5th round pick into Lafferty...well, that earns him some leash on what he might be able to do with this pick. Could be better that Studnicka. I'd just take the "one in hand" vs "two in the bush". But we'll see...
Well we have lots of "stashed" depth in AHL in Karlsson, Bains and even podkolzin. They are even better than Studnicka. If anything Bains deserves a call up

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well we have lots of "stashed" depth in AHL in Karlsson, Bains and even podkolzin. They are even better than Studnicka. If anything Bains deserves a call up

Bains looked like complete ass even in the preseason though. People keep going to bat for him, but he looks terribly out of his depth at the NHL level. Not a guy i'd dare throw into a playoff game for example.

Podkolzin...maybe. Karlsson has also been a bizarre callup. He does absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, looking good at the AHL level isn't always a real telling forecaster of how they'll do at the NHL level. Whereas Studnicka...well, we know what he can do there. It's not much...but it's also not going to hurt you. There's value in having extra rungs of that sort of depth available, stashed away in the AHL.

The only way it makes sense to just give away that sort of stashed depth, is if that pick ends up being used to help bolster the roster with more quality NHL level depth at some point. As well as just doing a solid for a player like Studnicka, which also makes agents happy (building a little credit there, greasing the wheels for future trades, etc.).

Giving away playable NHL depth that you've stashed in the NHL, just because you think someone like Bains "deserves" a callup is just malpractice. That's just removing rungs from your depth for no reason. Nothing was stopping them from calling up Bains over Studnicka anyway. That's just removing options. Unless...like i said, this ends up being the sort of move that helps set up a future move to bring in a depth guy who is much better than either of Studnicka or Bains.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Hope Stud can carve out a role in San Jose. Seems like a good guy, just can't stick on good teams like Boston or Vancouver

Will miss him in Abby. He added some great top 6 depth

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is likely done because of the recent injury to Nico Sturm and them being short on centers in the organization. If it's not Studnicka replacing Sturm, it'll be someone like Bordeleau and Studnicka will fill in on the AHL in place of whoever gets the call.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Studnicka was well received in Boston coming up, kind of plateaued. He came into camp on fire and earned a spot early on, but the effectiveness didn't last. He can be effective if he keeps himself engaged. Hes not a nothing there is still a good upside, hope he finds success in Sharks or Barracuda.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
On which roster??? Canucks?

Forwards:
Pettersson
Boeser
Kuzy
MIKHEYEV
Miller
PDG
Lafferty
Hoglander
Blueger
Suter
Joshua
Garland
Aman

Thats 13 forwards

Callups:

Bains
Podkolzin
Raty

I mean we had zero room on our roster for Studnicka so i dont get what you mean by he deserved to be in the lineup. He has beeb fine but we have much better players playing ahead of him and we would have better call ups too
He had a good camp, that's all I'm saying. But you're correct, our depth has started to take over here and Studnicka is redundant. He probably wanted a chance elsewhere, and we probably want to see different players slot in instead of him. No big deal.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Bains looked like complete ass even in the preseason though. People keep going to bat for him, but he looks terribly out of his depth at the NHL level. Not a guy i'd dare throw into a playoff game for example.

Podkolzin...maybe. Karlsson has also been a bizarre callup. He does absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, looking good at the AHL level isn't always a real telling forecaster of how they'll do at the NHL level. Whereas Studnicka...well, we know what he can do there. It's not much...but it's also not going to hurt you. There's value in having extra rungs of that sort of depth available, stashed away in the AHL.

The only way it makes sense to just give away that sort of stashed depth, is if that pick ends up being used to help bolster the roster with more quality NHL level depth at some point. As well as just doing a solid for a player like Studnicka, which also makes agents happy (building a little credit there, greasing the wheels for future trades, etc.).

Giving away playable NHL depth that you've stashed in the NHL, just because you think someone like Bains "deserves" a callup is just malpractice. That's just removing rungs from your depth for no reason. Nothing was stopping them from calling up Bains over Studnicka anyway. That's just removing options. Unless...like i said, this ends up being the sort of move that helps set up a future move to bring in a depth guy who is much better than either of Studnicka or Bains.
I just dont see canucks calling up studnicka. Even with injuries, they have capable guys. Again Aman is now an extra guy in our lineup so studnicka is not needed for this year. We have enough depth on forward

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just dont see canucks calling up studnicka. Even with injuries, they have capable guys. Again Aman is now an extra guy in our lineup so studnicka is not needed for this year. We have enough depth on forward

False. There's no such thing as, "enough depth". Or at least, there's no such thing as "too much depth" of players who can plug into the NHL.

Other guys making themselves options doesn't just make Studnicka expendable.

What would make Studnicka expendable, is going out and getting someone else who is more of a bona fide NHL forward that pushes guys like Aman out of the NHL roster. Makes it so you've got an extra run of depth between your NHL roster and guys like Bains, Aman, Karlsson, etc. Guys that really haven't looked impactful to me.

Guys like that are your "black aces" come playoff time. That's complicated if your AHL team is trying to make a push as well. Which it looks like Abby may do. That's where it's almost impossible to have too much depth there. That "stashed" depth is critical because you will have to use it. More of it, more options, that's the ideal situation to put yourself in. Especially if you want to pursue two things at once.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
False. There's no such thing as, "enough depth". Or at least, there's no such thing as "too much depth" of players who can plug into the NHL.

Other guys making themselves options doesn't just make Studnicka expendable.

What would make Studnicka expendable, is going out and getting someone else who is more of a bona fide NHL forward that pushes guys like Aman out of the NHL roster. Makes it so you've got an extra run of depth between your NHL roster and guys like Bains, Aman, Karlsson, etc. Guys that really haven't looked impactful to me.

Guys like that are your "black aces" come playoff time. That's complicated if your AHL team is trying to make a push as well. Which it looks like Abby may do. That's where it's almost impossible to have too much depth there. That "stashed" depth is critical because you will have to use it. More of it, more options, that's the ideal situation to put yourself in. Especially if you want to pursue two things at once.
Aman has been impactful with games he has played, not sure what you are talking about. In fact he signed a 2 year one way deal just recently with the team.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
From what I've read Studnicka has been pretty bad in Abbotsford and they need dmen because of injuries. The extra 6th is just bonus

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Studnicka is a bog standard 4th line center who can put up AHL numbers but it hasn't translated at the NHL level. He has ok tools and size but isn't that tough and his hands are not elite.

Seems like with Blueger in and Pius Suter back the Canucks had too many centers around. Sharks have injuries at the position.

Nucks get about the same value back for Studnicka they traded for him (DiPietro and Myrenberg).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Any Sharks fans have insights on Cicek? He looked great in 21-22 but I haven't heard anything about him since so I figure his development flatlined/regressed.
Shouldn't you know everything?

In all seriousness, Cicek doesn't actually do anything well - he just kind of skates around ostensibly playing defense, doesn't actually put up any real offense, and takes more bad penalties than he should. He's depth for an AHL team, honestly, likely has no future. He was worth a shot but never turned into anything.

Reactions: God

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Aman has been impactful with games he has played, not sure what you are talking about. In fact he signed a 2 year one way deal just recently with the team.

Nah, not really. Aman is useful in a certain context because he can log a few PK shifts, but he's entirely replaceable filler overall.

But i think you're still missing the point here. The idea is...you have guys like Aman deliberately pushed down to the AHL. That's proper organizational depth. Guys who can play a bit at the NHL level like Aman, Studnicka, etc. You want guys like that with multiple options and flavours in the minors if you can swing it. That's how you survive the grind of a way too long NHL season + still have something left come playoffs time.

You don't want your contingency plans to become core roster fixtures. Keep some demonstrated NHL fillers in your back pocket.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Studnicka is a bog standard 4th line center who can put up AHL numbers but it hasn't translated at the NHL level. He has ok tools and size but isn't that tough and his hands are not elite.

Seems like with Blueger in and Pius Suter back the Canucks had too many centers around. Sharks have injuries at the position.

Nucks get about the same value back for Studnicka they traded for him (DiPietro and Myrenberg).

Ehhh...Studnicka is really more of a Winger who can play a little bit of Center. He's looked like much more of an NHL winger.

I don't think it's really a case of "too many centers". That's not really a thing. If i could create an entire roster of like 12 Centers, with 8 of them very comfortable shifting to wing...i'd do it. Options is good. Sharks may give Studnicka a look at Center again and they've got basically nothing to lose...but he's looked more natural as a winger at that level.

The actual "value" of the deal is very, "easy come, easy go". I just hope that there's plans to follow it up with a different sort of move to bolster and replace that rung he represented on the playable NHL depth chart. Given the way Alvin has operated, i'd reckon there's a solid chance that there is. So i'm not too worried. I just think it's goofy to be like, "too much depth better trade someone". That's insane.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I even forgot Studnicka was with the Canucks.

Can give a decent streak of NHL games but simply disappears in a bad way over the course of a season. Just not remarkabe, but who knows if Grier sees a little untapped potential left.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nope a rebuild is about draft picks

Who gives af about a player who is no different from anybody else on their roster.
A rebuild is also about maximizing draft capital, not just accumulating it blindly

Due to injuries were currently icing Mikael Granlund, Luke Kunin and Filip Zadina at center in the NHL, Studnicka is going to come in and be given a legitimate shot to play center in the NHL in a way he just wouldn't in Vancouver, there exists a world where he performs well enough that he can be flipped for a 5th round pick or higher after playing here

I'm inclined to trust Grier on this, ever since his first trade deadline he's continued to make smart bets on reclamation projects and asset plays (Duclar, Zadina, Addison, Blackwood), and even if it doesn't work out, it cost a 6th round pick and a bad AHL player, no big deal, we have too many draft picks to fit all the contracts under our organizational umbrella anyway

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Nope a rebuild is about draft picks

Who gives af about a player who is no different from anybody else on their roster.
Are you always this reductive? Trying to move in a particular general direction doesn't preclude a team (or person) from making other moves that they believe serve the same goal even if they aren't precisely the same thing on paper.

Reactions: Tempo

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Totally disagree on Bains in the pre-season. I'm not saying he should have made the team, but he showed a really high level of hockey sense and an ability to win battles and put the puck into good spaces for his teammates. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't parlay that into an NHL career and see more upside than I do in Studnicka.

I liked the bet to take on Studnicka but part of being a good GM is knowing when your gamble didn't pay off for you.

Studnicka may still become a solid NHLer but it wasn't going to happen here. He's marinated enough and needs to get his feet wet in the NHL if it's ever going to happen for him and we have too much depth that is better than him (God that feels good/unusual to say based on the past decade).

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nah, not really. Aman is useful in a certain context because he can log a few PK shifts, but he's entirely replaceable filler overall.

But i think you're still missing the point here. The idea is...you have guys like Aman deliberately pushed down to the AHL. That's proper organizational depth. Guys who can play a bit at the NHL level like Aman, Studnicka, etc. You want guys like that with multiple options and flavours in the minors if you can swing it. That's how you survive the grind of a way too long NHL season + still have something left come playoffs time.

You don't want your contingency plans to become core roster fixtures. Keep some demonstrated NHL fillers in your back pocket.
I think you are going too deep with this Studnicka trade. Canucks can easily trade a low pick for same type of player which are a dime a dozen. Dont you worry your little heart out, there are many studnickas out there. Heck Alvin traded a low 5th pick for lafferty which was 10X better than Studnicka in season so these studnicka players can be had easily. Imagine not winning a cup because we dont have studnicka 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The guys on the radio said this saves the Canucks approximately 700k but with Studnicka in the AHL does that even affect the Canucks cap? Sorry if dumb question

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad