Confirmed Trade: [SJS/VAN] Jack Studnicka for Nick Cicek and 2024 6th round pick

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I really liked Studnicka during preseason. I felt he deserved a roster spot with his play, but perhaps that's not true. I hope he gets a fair shake with the Sharks. Should be a decent bottom sixer over there

Reactions: biturbo19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
bro he was on waivers y'all could have gotten him for free. thanks for the pick tho
SJ could be active in the NCAA free agents so probably wanted to unload a contract slot. That often happens and why at the TDL you see an unknown name included in the trade, which is to balance out the contract slots.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I feel like this is one of those trades a gm makes because they want to see the player flourish, doesn't make much sense for the Canucks to trade him but they are doing jack a favour because hes good enough to be in the NHL and this gives him the opportunity to do so. As for the 6th we will probably use it as a throwaway in a trade.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Sharks AHL depth kinda got decimated by injuries. Bailey and Carpenter were signed for the AHL team but have been playing regular NHL minutes and a couple of the AHL prospects are out too. Cicek has no NHL future at this point. And 6th round pick is mostly nothing.
Cicek will likely be out of the AHL also, he’s not a good player

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Any Sharks fans have insights on Cicek? He looked great in 21-22 but I haven't heard anything about him since so I figure his development flatlined/regressed.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Waiting for the follow up trade where they use the 6th to sweeten another transaction.

Reactions: Vector

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Studnicka has been given an opportunity by the Canucks, to play more NHL games in San Jose.

For the most part, Managers will do their best to find a better situation for a player, if he’s no longer in their own plans. Nine times out of ten, that’s what these deals are.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
A rebuild is about having as much draft capital as humanly possible
Which allows you to move around the draft

Weird to be high on studnicka
A contract spot is nearly the same worth as a 6th round pick.

You can always sign a college/international/previously undrafted FA to bring the exact same value a 6th round draft choice would likely bring.

A 5th turned into lafferty.

Late picks correctly are still worth something, even if it’s a longshot
That's not a bad point, but really, late round picks typically are only really 'throw ins'. They carry value, but it's so minimal, so negligible. People lose their minds over late round picks when they really shouldn't.

In Lafferty's case, he was mostly just a cap dump/victim of the Leafs liking other, cheaper players ahead of him in camp. A 5th round pick isn't going to do much for the Leafs in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Tempo

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The Canucks are basically taking a crap on the notion that it’s hard to make trades during the season.

What is that, the fifth one already?

And the best part is, every single one of them have been effective, some smaller then others

8th

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Jack worked hard in the summer by all accounts but for some reason, it didn't translate into results at the NHL level. He's a fast player but not as physical or tenacious as he should be for a bottom six role and not quite skilled enough for a top 6 role.

He's still young enough to have upside and who knows, may even flourish when given the time and opportunity. It worked out for Carcone. Anyway, he seemed like a player that can use a fresh start

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I really liked Studnicka during preseason. I felt he deserved a roster spot with his play, but perhaps that's not true. I hope he gets a fair shake with the Sharks. Should be a decent bottom sixer over there
On which roster??? Canucks?

Forwards:
Pettersson
Boeser
Kuzy
MIKHEYEV
Miller
PDG
Lafferty
Hoglander
Blueger
Suter
Joshua
Garland
Aman

Thats 13 forwards

Callups:

Bains
Podkolzin
Raty

I mean we had zero room on our roster for Studnicka so i dont get what you mean by he deserved to be in the lineup. He has beeb fine but we have much better players playing ahead of him and we would have better call ups too

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
It a big trade by any means, but a pretty nice piece of work getting a late rounder for Studnicka. I don’t see any way how he was going to get back in the lineup in Vancouver. I don’t k ow anything about Cicek other than he is a young D with size.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I thought Studnicka came into camp and did exactly what he needed to, in order to earn a spot in the lineup. Cap shuffling kinda screwed him over. But it also still didn't really look like the improved physical conditioning and effort was quite enough to make him any kind of impact player at the NHL level. Still just a really filler level.

This is ultimately an AHL depth shuffle. Trying to reclaim a a draft pick that'll probably end up thrown into something at the deadline for Vancouver. While also doing a solid for a guy who will probably get another NHL look with the Sharks and honestly deserved it. He's never gonna be more than a depth utility player...but he looked like a solid enough version of that.

In a lot of cases, i'd actually just prefer the "stashed depth" of a guy like Studnicka in the AHL. A guy that i know can play, and he can do it within the current coaches system and not hurt you. That's just extra layers of depth that can be so important.

But Alvin turning a 5th round pick into Lafferty...well, that earns him some leash on what he might be able to do with this pick. Could be better that Studnicka. I'd just take the "one in hand" vs "two in the bush". But we'll see...

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
On which roster??? Canucks?

Forwards:
Pettersson
Boeser
Kuzy
MIKHEYEV
Miller
PDG
Lafferty
Hoglander
Blueger
Suter
Joshua
Garland
Aman

Thats 13 forwards

Callups:

Bains
Podkolzin
Raty

I mean we had zero room on our roster for Studnicka so i dont get what you mean by he deserved to be in the lineup. He has beeb fine but we have much better players playing ahead of him and we would have better call ups too
Karlsson is probably the first call up. He has already been up for a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00