Confirmed Trade: [SJS/VAN] Jack Studnicka for Nick Cicek and 2024 6th round pick

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Why is San Jose trading picks?
Presumably because Studnicka is viewed as having more value. He had made the Canucks out of training camp and is likely to get some games with the Sharks this season. A 6th round pick is of negligible value. While an occasional one hits, chances are remote that it would ever make a difference.

This trade seems to me to be justifiable from both teams' perspectives, as well as being of little or no importance in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Ciao

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
In all honesty this is more likely a nothing burger than anything but the reality is that Studnicka did look to have an inside track at staying the 13th forward with Vancouver before Lafferty fell into our laps. I'm not saying he will thrive in some big way or anything but it's also not a total throwaway. It remind me of a smaller version of when we got Leivo a few years back, decent guy, not spectacular, not game breaking, but not out of place in an NHL lineup

Moves like this probably more often than not happen because a team sees more value in keeping an agent happy to be honest.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Bains looked like complete ass even in the preseason though. People keep going to bat for him, but he looks terribly out of his depth at the NHL level. Not a guy i'd dare throw into a playoff game for example.

Podkolzin...maybe. Karlsson has also been a bizarre callup. He does absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, looking good at the AHL level isn't always a real telling forecaster of how they'll do at the NHL level. Whereas Studnicka...well, we know what he can do there. It's not much...but it's also not going to hurt you. There's value in having extra rungs of that sort of depth available, stashed away in the AHL.

The only way it makes sense to just give away that sort of stashed depth, is if that pick ends up being used to help bolster the roster with more quality NHL level depth at some point. As well as just doing a solid for a player like Studnicka, which also makes agents happy (building a little credit there, greasing the wheels for future trades, etc.).

Giving away playable NHL depth that you've stashed in the NHL, just because you think someone like Bains "deserves" a callup is just malpractice. That's just removing rungs from your depth for no reason. Nothing was stopping them from calling up Bains over Studnicka anyway. That's just removing options. Unless...like i said, this ends up being the sort of move that helps set up a future move to bring in a depth guy who is much better than either of Studnicka or Bains.
I also wouldn't put much stock into preseason as literally everybody looked like ass in preseason aside from a few players.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you are going too deep with this Studnicka trade. Canucks can easily trade a low pick for same type of player which are a dime a dozen. Dont you worry your little heart out, there are many studnickas out there. Heck Alvin traded a low 5th pick for lafferty which was 10X better than Studnicka in season so these studnicka players can be had easily. Imagine not winning a cup because we dont have studnicka 😅

Like i said...i'm not that concerned. Alvin has shown that he can pivot from this sort of deal straight into something else that would do exactly what i was suggesting. Push Aman and Co. out of the lineup.

I'm just saying...it's stupid to suggest, "we've got too much depth better get rid of some of it". That's nonsense.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Totally disagree on Bains in the pre-season. I'm not saying he should have made the team, but he showed a really high level of hockey sense and an ability to win battles and put the puck into good spaces for his teammates. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't parlay that into an NHL career and see more upside than I do in Studnicka.

I liked the bet to take on Studnicka but part of being a good GM is knowing when your gamble didn't pay off for you.

Studnicka may still become a solid NHLer but it wasn't going to happen here. He's marinated enough and needs to get his feet wet in the NHL if it's ever going to happen for him and we have too much depth that is better than him (God that feels good/unusual to say based on the past decade).

I doubt it even really matters in the end. Studnicka isn't a player i'm sad about losing. It's just...i think he's a better, more proven NHLer than Bains at this point.

Bains might have more upside, but in the preseason, he looked completely out of his depth. He simply could not keep pace with the play. And that was preseason speed where Studnicka was looking like a stud.

That's not to say Bains is hopeless. Just...he didn't look ready at all. Doubtful that's changed. He's got a far more impactful upside if he figures it out...but he's got a much much lower "floor" to his play than Studnicka subbing in and basically just sawwing off nothing minutes without event.

The idea is...keeping Studnicka let's you cook Bains longer. That's the point.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Lol Studnicka had a chance and was the most vanilla player. He isn’t depth. He can’t play on a good NHL team.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Lol Studnicka had a chance and was the most vanilla player. He isn’t depth. He can’t play on a good NHL team.
He has played in 90 NHL games and is 24 that seems a premature declaration. Even if it is true, it is not like the Sharks have to worry about being a good NHL team any time soon.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Like i said...i'm not that concerned. Alvin has shown that he can pivot from this sort of deal straight into something else that would do exactly what i was suggesting. Push Aman and Co. out of the lineup.

I'm just saying...it's stupid to suggest, "we've got too much depth better get rid of some of it". That's nonsense.
I never said we got too much depth. When did I say that? You are putting words in my mouth. I said Studnicka was a player that might not get called up again because we had better players in front of him so it's not a huge loss.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I never said we got too much depth. When did I say that? You are putting words in my mouth. I said Studnicka was a player that might not get called up again because we had better players in front of him so it's not a huge loss.

That's literally the same thing.

Saying Studnicka doesn't matter because we've got a few other guys so he might not get called up again so who cares?

Despite some of those guys already being called upon in the lineup. What happens if one of them is hurt? Someone else? You want layers of depth. This shouldn't be such a complicated concept.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Plus skater with good pace of play and size. Slow to process the game and his shot is not very good currently. Good deal for both teams and Studnicka to get an opportunity for ice time. Thought he would be a good 4th liner but he was passed by others and didnt look good at C. Hasn't been able to find enough consistency to be a reliable PKer and regular contributor. If/when he gets it he could very well be a Lafferty type guy but the regression after camp and surge by others made him expendable for some LD depth. PA continues to find suitors for deals to adjust upgrade and give players opportunities. What are other teams problems?
Wish JS the best in SJ

Reactions: Reggae Shark

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why the hell is San Jose giving up picks

No picks should be leaving, unless it is to get more picks
Nope a rebuild is about draft picks

Who gives af about a player who is no different from anybody else on their roster.
There is a 50-contract limit. You can't expect to be picking 10 players per draft and juggle all of them. SJ prospect pool is loaded with prospects who just need time as is, at some point those lower-round picks simply aren't getting signed to their ELCs and it's entirely reasonable to think someone close to NHL-level has way more utility for them now than that 6th rounder would.

Reactions: Patty Ice

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah. I thought Studnicka came into camp and did exactly what he needed to, in order to earn a spot in the lineup. Cap shuffling kinda screwed him over. But it also still didn't really look like the improved physical conditioning and effort was quite enough to make him any kind of impact player at the NHL level. Still just a really filler level.

This is ultimately an AHL depth shuffle. Trying to reclaim a a draft pick that'll probably end up thrown into something at the deadline for Vancouver. While also doing a solid for a guy who will probably get another NHL look with the Sharks and honestly deserved it. He's never gonna be more than a depth utility player...but he looked like a solid enough version of that.

In a lot of cases, i'd actually just prefer the "stashed depth" of a guy like Studnicka in the AHL. A guy that i know can play, and he can do it within the current coaches system and not hurt you. That's just extra layers of depth that can be so important.

But Alvin turning a 5th round pick into Lafferty...well, that earns him some leash on what he might be able to do with this pick. Could be better that Studnicka. I'd just take the "one in hand" vs "two in the bush". But we'll see...

This has been the story of his career. He played well in Boston, but not well enough to bump anyone. He had a camp or two early were he probably should have earned a spot, but he didn't require waivers so he'd be sent down.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Studnickas value increased in-season once he was no longer waiver eligible. The 6th is for a guy who no longer has to pass through waivers. If they picked him up off waivers, he would still have to be put through waivers to go down to the AHL.

Reactions: Patty Ice

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cicek makes like 80k more than Studnicka. Both contracts can be buried though so I don't think this does anything to change the cap situation.
Cap no impact. Just pure dollars, the Canucks save because Studnicka is a 1 way contract, while Cicek is an ELC contract, thus making AHL mone of like $100K or something in Abby.

There is a 50-contract limit. You can't expect to be picking 10 players per draft and juggle all of them. SJ prospect pool is loaded with prospects who just need time as is, at some point those lower-round picks simply aren't getting signed to their ELCs and it's entirely reasonable to think someone close to NHL-level has way more utility for them now than that 6th rounder would.
SJ also already at 49 contracts. Had they claimed Studnicka, they would be at the 50 max contracts. No flexibilty when it comes down to being able to sign NCAA players. And at the TDL, teams that would buy what SJ is selling would also send over ECHL/AHL players over in the trade to even out contract slots, as they themselves may have NCAA players to sign and need those spots.

Reactions: Lindgren

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
SJ also already at 49 contracts. Had they claimed Studnicka, they would be at the 50 max contracts. No flexibilty when it comes down to being able to sign NCAA players. And at the TDL, teams that would buy what SJ is selling would also send over ECHL/AHL players over in the trade to even out contract slots, as they themselves may have NCAA players to sign and need those spots.
You don't think SJ will sell at the deadline, well before they are going to be hunting for NCAA signees? They will have spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00