Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Tomas Hertl re-signed (2 years, $3M AAV)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Sharks have a lot coming off the books in the next two years, so they'll be able to extend him for however much is necessary.

Because of injury problems (ahem, your former Captain), a bridge deal was beneficial. If he is continuing to have problems with that knee (like he has) over the next two years, the Sharks won't be on the hook for a lot of money.

Totally get it, but thought maybe a four year with a little higher cap hit now might have been in the works.

He bets on himself and the Sharks get a little insurance against him regressing or meeting Brown again.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Totally get it, but thought maybe a four year with a little higher cap hit now might have been in the works.

He bets on himself and the Sharks get a little insurance against him regressing or meeting Brown again.

Sharks weren't going to do a four year deal that takes him straight to UFA.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
tumblr_muv8ajWfI31s71m0qo2_400.gif

Love it. Now stay healthy, kid.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I just want to know why. Why are you not "overly impressed with him" and who impresses you?

I certainly am not attempting to speak for the poster you were responding to initially, but for me, a non-Sharks fan, I also don't consider him impressive.

He hit NHL ice with a bang scoring 15 goals and 25 points in 37 games and has leveled off to 2nd line production. His metrics are good and he'll likely progress, but there's no denying the hype from his first 37 games and the reality of him being a 0.5 ppg player over the course of 2.5 seasons are quite different and could be viewed as underwhelming if you don't have a vested interest in the team/player.

I expect Hertl to have a pretty good NHL career as a top 6 guy. We'll just have to see if he can become a legitimate 1st liner and score more or if he'll top out as a strong 2nd liner with good metrics.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I certainly am not attempting to speak for the poster you were responding to initially, but for me, a non-Sharks fan, I also don't consider him impressive.

He hit NHL ice with a bang scoring 15 goals and 25 points in 37 games and has leveled off to 2nd line production. His metrics are good and he'll likely progress, but there's no denying the hype from his first 37 games and the reality of him being a 0.5 ppg player over the course of 2.5 seasons are quite different and could be viewed as underwhelming if you don't have a vested interest in the team/player.

I expect Hertl to have a pretty good NHL career as a top 6 guy. We'll just have to see if he can become a legitimate 1st liner and score more or if he'll top out as a strong 2nd liner with good metrics.

The solution is to watch the games instead of just the stat sheets.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Sharks weren't going to do a four year deal that takes him straight to UFA.

Of course. I should of checked that status before talking about long term but my Google search parameters block me from looking up anything positive about the Sharks.

Definitely no reason to go long-term here unless he settled for some ridiculous low number.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Of course. I should of checked that status before talking about long term but my Google search parameters block me from looking up anything positive about the Sharks.

Definitely no reason to go long-term here unless he settled for some ridiculous low number.

Yeah, the Sharks tend to shy away from the 6+ year deals under DW. They only did it for Michalek. After Hertl's bridge, he'll probably get what Pavelski and Couture got something like 5 years, 30 mil.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

He could be viewed as underwhelming only if you pull up his hockeydb.com stats 5 minutes before you post. If you've watched him you know that he's going to be a dominant force if he stays healthy. Heck, fans of teams other than the Sharks are praising him.

The man drives possession on a line with two all-stars, one of which is a hall of famer. Not impressive my ass.

He is already a 1st liner. You cannot seriously watch him and tell me otherwise.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015

But there's more than just points. If you legitimately watch him night in and night out, he's an absolute gamer. I'd argue that he's the most important piece of the Sharks top line. Not the best, but the most important. In games 1 & 2 of the finals that lined was our most dangerous, and Hertl was our best forward. After he went down that line was virtually invisible, even when Couture was put on it.

I don't care if he isn't a top 30 or even top 50 point guy in the league. He doesn't need to be. He uses his skills and size to get the puck for his linemates, and he doesn't seem to care about not getting those secondary assists. His unselfishness is uncanny, I love the kid.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
congrats, SJ

would have bet he'd get more

why did he take less now?

Bridge deals always come with less money. More opportunity for him to demand more $ on his next contract though. Realistically he'd probably get 4.5-5m per year on a very longterm deal right now, whereas this gives him two more years to develop and possibly demand 6+ on a longterm deal. He's giving up money now to get more later (given that he continues to develop).

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
My God what a great deal for the Sharks . Im jealous :(

On the other hand, I wish the Sharks nothing but success so good for them :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad