Proposal: SJS - PIT

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Neither Ferraro or Blackwood are “bad cap” and you thinking they are is crazy.

Ferraro is a sub 30 pt defenseman who is -30 in his last two seasons and his advanced analytics are also awful.

Not really sure why he wouldn't be considered bad cap?

Oh no what will the Sharks do without clearing Ferraro and Blackwood's cap? We'll only have $35 million in cap space instead of $40 million.

Btw thanks for the top 15 pick. Enjoy the rest of EK's decline.

i mean that's fine if you don't think the trade makes sense, just kinda confused why we are acting like Ferraro or Blackwood is going to return value?

I'm also fine with the EK trade. Thanks for the 15-16 cup and letting me see my team win a game on your home ice in the cup final :)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ferraro is a sub 30 pt defenseman who is -30 in his last two seasons and his advanced analytics are also awful.

Not really sure why he wouldn't be considered bad cap?

i mean that's fine if you don't think the trade makes sense, just kinda confused why we are acting like Ferraro or Blackwood is going to return value?

I'm also fine with the EK trade. Thanks for the 15-16 cup and letting me see my team win a game on your home ice in the cup final :)
Even if they're bad cap why would the Sharks take on a worse contract in Jarry? Think for a second.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think it's fair to crap on Ferraro in this trade. I think he's a guy who's a victim of circumstance with the team he's on, I don't know that I'd call him more than a #4 on a good team but he is a solid defenseman. Considering he's only paid $3.25 million, he's absolutely not overpaid for what he is.

I also don't think Jarry is particularly overpaid either, he's just signed for too long. He's a bit overpaid but it's probably only by about $500k a year. At $4.8 million, he'd be the 21st highest paid goalie instead of the 12th highest paid goalie at $5.3 million. You'd have a pretty weak argument to say Jarry is worse than the 21st best starting goalie in hockey.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think it's fair to crap on Ferraro in this trade. I think he's a guy who's a victim of circumstance with the team he's on, I don't know that I'd call him more than a #4 on a good team but he is a solid defenseman. Considering he's only paid $3.25 million, he's absolutely not overpaid for what he is.

I also don't think Jarry is particularly overpaid either, he's just signed for too long. He's a bit overpaid but it's probably only by about $500k a year. At $4.8 million, he'd be the 21st highest paid goalie instead of the 12th highest paid goalie at $5.3 million. You'd have a pretty weak argument to say Jarry is worse than the 21st best starting goalie in hockey.

You are a big Jfresh guy. This is when he was "good".

1713326024432.png

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because they are getting a 2nd round pick and a prospect and sending out cash.
Damn...a whole 2nd round pick for taking on a terrible contract through 2028. Thank you for this well thought out proposal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
JFresh also has Karlsson as a 100% player on the PP. Which is pretty not believable after seeing him on the powerplay for the Penguins this year.

I'm not a big Jfresh guy, you know that.

But this idea that Ferraro isn't a huge risk of a contract is really weird.

Damn...a whole 2nd round pick for taking on a terrible contract through 2028. Thank you for this well thought out proposal.

Jarry is still an NHL starter.

Cal Petersen was an AHLer and got Philly about that.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Without all the unnecessary hostility. . .

Jarry just doesn't make sense for the Sharks, they can't commit term to a goalie with question marks right now, they've worked hard to be out of most of their long term cap commitments and it would be a mistake to add another one before they begin to even approach a respectable level of play

Blackwood and Jarry were similar quality of players this year, but Blackwood doesn't come with the cap commitment going into the future, it's a pass from San Jose

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yeah, the value isn't quite there.

1) Blackwood rebuilt his value decently this year behind a horrendous defense and if he can keep it up next year, he's prob worth a 3rd round pick at the TDL given the expiring contract.

2) Ferraro is completely misused as a top-pairing all situations defenseman, but as a #4 guy who plays against 2nd lines and PKs, he's probably well-worth the 3.25M contract x2 years (and is still 25 year old so has potential to rebound in a better situation). I'd say that alone is worth a 2nd round pick + B prospect.

3) Jarry may have had multiple good prior seasons, but given his terrible contract, he's a cap dump. What's the price tag for dumping a contract of 5.4M x4 years? Good question, those contracts aren't moved that often.

So in summary, Broz + 2nd is probably a decent return for Ferraro + Blackwood. Then you gotta add on a major asset to take on the Jarry contract. In reality, Broz + 2025 1st is probably the return here for 2 assets sent over from SJ + dumping Jarry's contract, which the Pens wouldn't do.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
So taking on Ferraro just over 3M for 2 years is "bad cap" but Jarry for 5M for 4 years is good?

Even if you add the 2nd round pick and a meh prospect...that's a bad return for taking on Jarry's salary plus giving away a solid dman (he's overplayed on this roster and is the locker room leader).

Really no incentive at all for SJ to do this.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You called Blackwood a "good goalie" while Jarry was a "cap dump", despite Jarry's worst season being equal to Blackwood this year (who you again called "a good goalie") and every other season of Jarry's being clearly better.

It's not "arguing semantics", it's pointing out that you made a dumb argument.
Blackwood makes 2.5 for 1 year. If Jarry was making that he'd be called a very good goalie. The cap dump term by them is directly related to the value his signed for. You're 100% right, given the choice and all being =, you'd be foolish to take Blackwood over Jarry, but that isn't the case here.

Reactions: Gecklund

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't want to start a thread, but barring a new coach i think Pit should trade Puljujarvi to San Jose.

San Jose at least can afford to give him the playing time.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Didn't want to start a thread, but barring a new coach i think Pit should trade Puljujarvi to San Jose.

No thanks, dude is terrible, always has been, would rather keep the roster spots open for prospects that actually have potential.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

There’s no reason for them to trade for him. He’s nothing. Claim him on waivers next year if they really want him.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
No thank you. Actually, looking at Jarry’s contract, just no. You don’t even get a thank you. Gross

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's a crap for crap swap but Blackwood and Farraro do so little for the Penguins that I say no. Farraro from a couple years ago maybe but not now. The SJS wanted Jarry, they could have him for cheap but I'm not paying to get rid of him.

Reactions: Darren McCord

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

There’s no reason for them to trade for him. He’s nothing. Claim him on waivers next year if they really want him.
Basically this

I could imagine Puljujarvi appealing to SJS as a 0 risk reclamation project like they tried with Zadina this year, but there's no reason to spend a single asset on acquiring him

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's a crap for crap swap but Blackwood and Farraro do so little for the Penguins that I say no. Farraro from a couple years ago maybe but not now. The SJS wanted Jarry, they could have him for cheap but I'm not paying to get rid of him.
Ferraro is better now than a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad