Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Mikkel Boedker (4 years, $4M AAV)

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I was really wishing Colorado had kept him around. Looks like I might've been out to lunch after all.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Backes
Ladd
Okposo
Eriksson
Nielsen
Lucic
E. Staal
Etc

No legit superstars, but there were quite a few legitimate top 6 forwards available this past offseason.

As many have said, there are guys leading their team in points from last summer's UFA class. Then you have guys who have been very solid, such as Backes.

As for Boedker, he's now disappointed three different teams in a space of a year. The Coyotes, the Avs and now the Sharks. :laugh:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How bad this contract is was so predictable. Boedker is absolutely useless. Anyone who thought this was a 'steal' or anything resembling 'okay' was drinking too much of the MSM Kool-aid.

I had arguments on the Avs board with people who were saying we messed up letting him go, he is what he is. He was a tease in junior, he was a tease in Arizona, he hustled enough because he was an upcoming UFA in Colorado and now he's back to being a tease after cashing in. The irony of it all is that he took less than what some were offering because he wanted to play for a contender in order to help them win, and now he dogging it again. Feel bad for the Sharks fans.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He isn't great but he isn't this bad either. He usually hangs out in the .55-.65ppg range. That's solid complementary top 6 winger production.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I had arguments on the Avs board with people who were saying we messed up letting him go, he is what he is. He was a tease in junior, he was a tease in Arizona, he hustled enough because he was an upcoming UFA in Colorado and now he's back to being a tease after cashing in. The irony of it all is that he took less than what some were offering because he wanted to play for a contender in order to help them win, and now he dogging it again. Feel bad for the Sharks fans.

I don't think he's dogging it at all. He's not producing and clearly doesn't fit in (yet) but he's not going out there and showing a lack of effort. I'm going to give him more time. Obviously not expecting a 50 point season anymore, even 40 is a reach. But he can still find a niche this season and help the team. It just won't be as a top 6 guy.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He isn't great but he isn't this bad either. He usually hangs out in the .55-.65ppg range. That's solid complementary top 6 winger production.

He hangs in that range because he got fed an insane amount of PP time while in Arizona, not because he's actually a .55 - .65 ppg player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a perimeter type of player in every sense of the world. Besides the speed and being fairly good at holding on to the puck, he doesn't really offer much of what you want in a player.

His offensive upside is also overrated. If he didn't play on poor teams and given lots of PP time, his numbers would be lower and even then his offensive ceiling is around 50 points.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He's a perimeter type of player in every sense of the world. Besides the speed and being fairly good at holding on to the puck, he doesn't really offer much of what you want in a player.

His offensive upside is also overrated. If he didn't play on poor teams and given lots of PP time, his numbers would be lower and even then his offensive ceiling is around 50 points.

Bang on description of Boedker.

Funny thing, I was never a big fan of his, and even questioned if he would become a regular in Arizona when he was still starting out. I never thought much of him when I saw him.

But then when he signed with SJS, I thought it might be a good place for him, and got a bit excited to see him really excel!

Turns out I was jumping on the bandwagon almost exactly when the wheels fell off. Now people are seeing what I thought I knew before. The guy is like a bad photocopy of Radim Vrbata.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I had arguments on the Avs board with people who were saying we messed up letting him go, he is what he is. He was a tease in junior, he was a tease in Arizona, he hustled enough because he was an upcoming UFA in Colorado and now he's back to being a tease after cashing in. The irony of it all is that he took less than what some were offering because he wanted to play for a contender in order to help them win, and now he dogging it again.

Boedker isn't dogging it, he's just bad.

Feel bad for the Sharks fans.

Poor Sharks. Getting no value from this deal at all.

Don't feel too bad for us. :rolleyes: We're coming off of a Cup Finals appearance and there's no reason we can't get back there this year again regardless of Boedker's performance. And its not like we were gonna do anything else with the cap space. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010
To be honest, I think Boedker has played better than what his points total is.

The entire Sharks offense has struggled so far, so it's not like he's the only player not producing. The top players haven't played their best hockey yet.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To be honest, I think Boedker has played better than what his points total is.

The entire Sharks offense has struggled so far, so it's not like he's the only player not producing. The top players haven't played their best hockey yet.

Boedker has two points in 19 games. Even if he had twice the points, it'd still be god-awful. That -7 is trash too.

As I proposed several games ago, Boedker is a $4M Torrey Mitchell.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Boedker was hockey hipsters favourite player. Played in an obscure market so people thought if they could grab him theyd someone be the smartest person in the room. Its similar to Florida Panthers players in the past when everyone thought they were this underrated superstar waiting to breakout (Im looking at you Bouwmeester). Also Weise to a lesser extent, Jokinen, Booth

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
The thing with Boedker is that he'll have like one week a season where he looks like an all world player, then he just dies for like the rest of the season.

You see the skillset and you wonder how he's not a dominant player

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah but then the Avs board will complain when that 7th-Round pick gets a point or two in the AHL.

Which will still be more than what Boedker is putting up.

Avs fans perceptions are colored by the fact that he's the hilarious reminder of when they were "going for it" last season.

He's streaky, I'm sure it will get better but I don't think he finishes that contract in San Jose.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs give you a 7th to take him back

God, no. I hated the trade for him when it happened, unlike most of the Avs board I pushed for him not to be re-signed and was pleased when he wasn't...I hope I don't have to see him again. Even when he's "on," he's a player who doesn't add what the Avs need whatsoever.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Leino was one hit wonder. Boedker had three straight 50 point pace seasons on his belt.

He will likely hit low 40, which is a disappointment, but not end of the world.

In order to hit 40 points, Boedker would have to put up 38 points in his last 63 games, for a .6 PPG average. I guarantee he doesn't do that. I'll be surprised if he hits 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad