Proposal: (SJS) Meier, 4th round pick '23 to (TOR) for Knies, 1st round pick '24, 2nd in '25, and Kerfoot.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Meaning I don't know much about Knies so I'm basing my opinion mostly off what I read here and the way he's talked about here is insanity. At least NJ fans aren't putting guys like Holtz on a pedestal. I also know how ridiculous HF fanboys can be which is why I asked my question.
Yeah that tends to happen when one fanbase has like double or triple the fanbase of others.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
but your acting like he's the only person's opinion that matters. so everyone else is just straight up wrong?
You know prospects values rise and drop right?
Yup, prospects values rise and drop. GMs and their scouts influences that. Not Internet Rankings LOL.

Yeah that tends to happen when one fanbase has like double or triple the fanbase of others.
Its easy for internet writers who rank prospects to make money from a big fanbase.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
And that's fine. I just don't know how you can come to that reasoning. The only info we have was Chicago asked for knies for Fleury. Fleury was only traded for like a 2nd round pick later. So I don't see how knies is even close to a former top 8 pick.
Man you make some silly arguments. Chicago asks for Knies. Leafs say no. Traded for 2nd. Knies worth 2nd. Makes sense.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Man you make some silly arguments. Chicago asks for Knies. Leafs say no. Traded for 2nd. Knies worth 2nd. Makes sense.
Don;'t even waste your time, it appears Knies is a shit prospect and all rankings are wrong because Bob McKenzie said so, I couldn't find a nhl prospect ranking that Bob McKenzie released when I look it up I only find his rankings for the 2023 class.
I bet what McKenzie said was old and outdated too

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Theres way more 2nd round picks that turn into nothing than there are any worthy of attention. What makes Knies any different than every other 2nd round prospect the leafs have had over the last 20 years? Are there even a single one playing on the leafs roster right now?
Yeah. The entire team is made up of 1st rounders. Except two thirds of the team chosen after the 1st round.

Maybe Knies turns into Vesey. Or maybe not. i am sure most Leaf fans trade him for Meir. It’s the Knies plus plus that makes some of us hesitate knowing he can’t fit into the cap longer term without trading another piece. Not going to happen anyway.

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
What part of Bob McKenzie doesn't use his own opinion did you not understand? But his opinion doesn't matter. The opinion of internet rankings doesn't matter. Knies is a 2nd round prospect, that actually does matter.
Where do you think Knies lands if they do a redraft? I suspect he pushes into the 1st round. Would that suddenly turn him into a good prospect?

Last edited:

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Marner put up 70 points once before last year. Is he worth the same to you?
Marner also has 200 more NHL points than Meier in 32 fewer games played to date. And he has been better than PPG after his 3rd year in the league with 5 consecutive PPG years and counting where Meier is on track to have his 2nd year as a PPG player counting this year.

If people want to say Meier has other qualities that make him valuable that's fine, but he hasn't been a huge point producer until last year and this one while being a decent goal scorer in his career so far.

Reactions: BayStBullies

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Also, Meier's value goes way beyond points. He's one of the league's most efficient hitters and he's a unique possession monster. As strong on the puck as anybody in the NHL.
Meier may have other qualities that make him valuable, but I don't know if its enough to be worth the price that SJ seems to want for him and I don't know how the Leafs can re-sign him with another big contract when they already have 3 guys making 10+ million and Nylander needing a contract soon which will include a significant raise.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Marner also has 200 more NHL points than Meier in 32 fewer games played to date. And he has been better than PPG after his 3rd year in the league with 5 consecutive PPG years and counting where Meier is on track to have his 2nd year as a PPG player counting this year.

If people want to say Meier has other qualities that make him valuable that's fine, but he hasn't been a huge point producer until last year and this one while being a decent goal scorer in his career so far.
Timo has 3 less goals in 32 less games (not the other way around as you have it). Mitch is good, but much of his point production is the benefit of playing with Tavares or Matthews. It's evident on the PP where more than half of Timo's points are goals where as Mitch plays with a loaded PP1.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Timo has 3 less goals in 32 less games (not the other way around as you have it). Mitch is good, but much of his point production is the benefit of playing with Tavares or Matthews. It's evident on the PP where more than half of Timo's points are goals where as Mitch plays with a loaded PP1.
I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your vision. It must be rough.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
NJ, Canes, Buffalo, Detroit....
Maybe NJ and CAR. Why would Buffalo and Detroit give up a good prospect and their 23 first for Meier? Unless they believe that Meier next year becomes such a difference maker that it turns their franchises around. Does BUF and DET go deep in playoffs next year with Meier?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Compare TOI, especially PP. Meier didn't get top PP minutes until last season. If you look at his point totals in earlier years, most of the difference was PP. With 1st PP time he'd have been close to PPG in all years except the first two when his overall TOI was down as well due to mono.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Maybe NJ and CAR. Why would Buffalo and Detroit give up a good prospect and their 23 first for Meier? Unless they believe that Meier next year becomes such a difference maker that it turns their franchises around. Does BUF and DET go deep in playoffs next year with Meier?
Perhaps because the owners,management,players and fans are tired of losing.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Imagine eastern people who can't stay up past 10 watching Meier tear their team apart on whatever eastern team he gets traded to and finding out he's on the same level as Matthew Tkachuk after never watching him :laugh:

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
My mistake on the games. Was comparing the stats between the two and missed that. However you're incorrect if you believe that Marner isn't an elite player on his own. Of course it helps to have talented teammates, but Marner would be an elite point producer no matter where he played. Also you can play him in any situation including killing penalties and have him be a scoring threat unlike Meier.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Imagine eastern people who can't stay up past 10 watching Meier tear their team apart on whatever eastern team he gets traded to and finding out he's on the same level as Matthew Tkachuk after never watching him :laugh:

Tkachuk is coming off a 100pt season and is on pace for another. Meier is a great player, but Tkachuk is better...c'mon.

Reactions: HBK27

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Compare TOI, especially PP. Meier didn't get top PP minutes until last season. If you look at his point totals in earlier years, most of the difference was PP. With 1st PP time he'd have been close to PPG in all years except the first two when his overall TOI was down as well due to mono.
Marner does get top PP minutes, but 70% of his points are even strength so the powerplay isn't his bread and butter from where his points come from. Also he's a good penalty killer who's always a threat to score shorthanded unlike Meier who largely doesn't penalty kill.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Has any GM said they would draft Knies in the first round with their pick?
I doubt he goes in the first still. A bunch of guys in that second round would have still gone before him

Not sure who the consensus is, but here

Pronman had Knies at 15 in a re-draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad