Contract Termination: [SJS] D Leon Gawanke contract terminated by the Sharks

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ah the racist is back. Was wondering if you’d show up in another Gawanke thread.
I’m sorry you Misunderstood my post. We are very inclusive here.

We accept all types of whiners /complainers here.( even German ones). So your welcome to stay and contribute.

But please don’t call me inaccurate names like racists.

His Nationality is irrelevant. The fact that he quit on multiple teams and whined multiple times about it to the press and to anyone who would listen tells the real story on character.

Facts are the facts though.

Gawanke complains and whines when he does not get opportunities that he does not deserve… when there are 6 starting D- spots and 2 spare spots and you are stuck behind 10 better players in an organization. It does not leave much playing time.

So Gawanke can quit (again) / surrender (again).

He didn’t even finish out the season… didn’t honor his signed contract.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
It doesn't say anything. There's tons of politics in the NHL about who's playing in the NHL, who's playing in the top 6, who's playing in the AHL, etc. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skill level.
I find it funny you have this name/handle on this board and have this point of view.

“ It was Justified” character issues….

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

We accept all types of whiners /complainers here.( even German ones). So your welcome to stay and contribute.

His Nationality is irrelevant. The fact that he quit on multiple teams and whined multiple times about it to the press and to anyone who would listen tells the real story on character.

Gawanke complains and whines when he does not get opportunities that he does not deserve… when there are 6 starting D- spots and 2 spare spots and you are stuck behind 10 better players in an organization. It does not leave much playing time.

A mutual termination isn't not honoring a signed contract.

Reactions: Edenjung

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
A mutual termination isn't not honoring a signed contract.
So are you arguing the point

-1)that he didn’t whine and complain and ask to get out/ quit.

-2) or he was so bad that the team didn’t think he was top 6 material on the AHL team

-3) Maybe he was homesick and did not like the sun and fu. In San Jose California.

Either way this is probably the last we see of Gawanke in North America.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So are you arguing the point

-1)that he didn’t whine and complain and ask to get out/ quit.

-2) or he was so bad that the team didn’t think he was top 6 material on the AHL team

-3) Maybe he was homesick and did not like the sun and fu. In San Jose California.

Either way this is probably the last we see of Gawanke in North America.
Mutual termination is not something you can then point and say he didn't honor the contract. Mutual termination is a contractual option the two sides have at their disposal. It's honoring the contract they have together.

You're probably right that it probably means the last we see of Gawanke in North America but I don't see a problem with that. If a player says he wants an NHL opportunity or he'd prefer to play at home overseas and then a team acquires and signs said player, they know going into it what is likely to happen if he doesn't earn an opportunity in their eyes. Luckily the Sharks were at least professional enough to agree to the termination but they probably should've done this after they knew he wasn't going to make it out of training camp or when Emberson was claimed off waivers.

Reactions: Edenjung

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
He will be back in the NHL. He'll be very good in the DEL. Wouldn't be surprised if within 2-3 years there will be a sweepstakes to sign him back in NA.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

If his nationality is irrelevant why do you bring it up in every post you have in Gawanke threads?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If his nationality is irrelevant why do you bring it up in every post you have in Gawanke threads?
Because every time he cry’s / complains to the press about the big bad wolf 🐺 ( NHL) stopping / discriminating on him for missed opportunities ( that he does not deserve) and wants grab his toys and go home. Home is Germany (🇩🇪), I have to ask . Why come in the first place.

I liked Uwe Krupp / Sturm that Buffalo Rookie (Peterka) and Draisaitl.

Stutzle with Ottawa would be better if he didn’t fake fall (dive) all the time trying to draw penalties.

I think the German papers set Gawanke up for a fall. In an effort to explain his non successful efforts in N.A. And his triumph return to the German league….They made him sound like a whiner trying to prop up his perceived level of hockey skills higher than they actually are ( by stating the NHL discriminated against him and did not give him a fair shot)

If he didn’t do those interviews with those European news service with an obvious agenda or was more modest and didn’t play the victim card or allow those European news service to cast him as a victim ….. he may not look like such a cry baby…

He may be a victim of the evil press and not the victim of the hockey world.

But it’s now obvious … SanJose is fighting for last place in the NHL with no stars on Defence and he’s rated -9-11 on the depth chart.

Which is still an accomplishment to be proud of. But don’t claim to be more than that.

He was paid very well for this season.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because every time he cry’s / complains to the press about the big bad wolf 🐺 ( NHL) stopping / discriminating on him for missed opportunities ( that he does not deserve) and wants grab his toys and go home. Home is Germany (🇩🇪), I have to ask . Why come in the first place.

I liked Uwe Krupp / Sturm that Buffalo Rookie (Peteka) and Draitzle.

Stutzle with Ottawa would be better if he didn’t fake fall (dive) all the time trying to draw penalties.

I think the German papers set Gawanke up for a fall. In an effort to explain his non successful efforts in N.A. And his triumph return to the German league….They made him sound like a whiner trying to prop up his perceived level of hockey skills higher than they actually are ( by stating the NHL discriminated against him and did not give him a fair shot)

If he didn’t do those interviews with those European news service with an obvious agenda or was more modest and didn’t play the victim card or allow those European news service to cast him as a victim ….. he may not look like such a cry baby…

He may be a victim of the evil press and not the victim of the hockey world.

But it’s now obvious … SanJose is fighting for last place in the NHL with no stars on Defence and he’s rated -9-11 on the depth chart.

Which is still an accomplishment to be proud of. But don’t claim to be more than that.

He was paid very well for this season.
I have seen him complain once. That was in Winnipeg. And wasn’t even a complaint. Sharks might not have stars but they have about 10 legit NHL D. He absolutely was not paid well for the Bay Area either.

You continue to bring up his nationality for seemingly no reason and hide behind the “I’m not racist my best friend is German” argument.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I have seen him complain once. That was in Winnipeg. And wasn’t even a complaint. Sharks might not have stars but they have about 10 legit NHL D. He absolutely was not paid well for the Bay Area either.

You continue to bring up his nationality for seemingly no reason and hide behind the “I’m not racist my best friend is German” argument.
Gawanke was on a guaranteed minimum contract of $375,000. Which is a high salary in the AHL.

Case in point his last 1 year contract in Manitoba Moose (AHL) was $150k U.S. guaranteed minimum.

Stop trying to protect Gawanke by claiming discrimination against Germans…..as a reason he did not get a NHL shot or opportunity.

- It irks me when people create excuses / blames others for their own short comings/ like calling other people as being racists in an effort to hide the holes in their argument.

The truth is Gawanke will probably have a long career in the DEL…. Probably where he should have been all along…

Don’t call me a German Racist again!
1) my best friend is not German. But I’m 25 % German on my fathers mothers side
2) I was never negative on Germans…. I was negative on whiners / complainers . And as far as I know ….Winners and complainers are not yet a protected group.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Gawanke was on a guaranteed minimum contract of $375,000. Which is a high salary in the AHL.

Case in point his last 1 year contract in Manitoba Moose (AHL) was $150k U.S. guaranteed minimum.

Stop trying to protect Gawanke by claiming discrimination against Germans…..as a reason he did not get a NHL shot or opportunity.

- It irks me when people create excuses / blames others for their own short comings/ like calling other people as being racists in an effort to hide the holes in their argument.

The truth is Gawanke will probably have a long career in the DEL…. Probably where he should have been all along…

Don’t call me a German Racist again!
1) my best friend is not German. But I’m 25 % German on my fathers mothers side
2) I was never negative on Germans…. I was negative on whiners / complainers . And as far as I know ….Winners and complainers are not yet a protected group.
:laugh: this is comedy gold.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He will be back in the NHL. He'll be very good in the DEL. Wouldn't be surprised if within 2-3 years there will be a sweepstakes to sign him back in NA.

So you really think he's going to learn to play some defense in three years in Germany and NHL teams will be lining up for his services in 2027?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad