Contract Termination: [SJS] D Leon Gawanke contract terminated by the Sharks

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Gawanke refuses to play in the AHL endlessly, he wants his shot in the NHL. He signed a 4-year deal with Adler Mannheim (DEL) in May to force the Jets to give him an NHL opportunity or trade him to someone who would. Gawanke was traded in a prospect swap with SJ to give him that opportunity but clearly he can’t crack an NHL roster if SJ won’t give him a spot either.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I've never seen him play, why didn't he ever get a shot?
Numbers look good, good size, right shot, what's the issue?
Defensive play mostly, doesn't really use his size well. Guy was good enough in the AHL to get a look but never did, would have been curious to see how his game would have translated.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Defensive play mostly, doesn't really use his size well. Guy was good enough in the AHL to get a look but never did, would have been curious to see how his game would have translated.
When he was with us I really thought he was going to be our next Declan Chisholm.:D

Reactions: Atoyot

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
What's the previous season record for contract terminations? We must have blown way past it!

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
can't cut it with the Sharks says it all....
Servalli?

Eh, not really. Grier has been stocking up all season on depth D in advance of the TDL (presumably as a strategy to gain picks), so bringing him up may have meant waiving someone else. Bad asset management.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It doesn't say anything. There's tons of politics in the NHL about who's playing in the NHL, who's playing in the top 6, who's playing in the AHL, etc. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skill level.
1707486343467.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Guy had 25 points in 31 games, clearly lost interest at that point when it was clear he wasn't on deck to be called up. Honestly probably would have gotten a shot after the trade deadline when some assets were sold.
I doubt he would've gotten the shot after the trade deadline. None of the assets to be sold at the deadline are going to be blue liners in his way. I think he made the right call to go back because he wasn't getting his shot here.

Reactions: Atoyot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad