Confirmed with Link: [SJS/COL] Dubnyk for Pateryn and a 5th

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think that'd probably be a good move if they want to keep Melnichuk playing. Either that or see if any goalies hit waivers.

edit:

This makes the most sense, no need to pick one over the other instantly. Let them both practice and play in the nhl and see who sticks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If this team actually wants to compete this year, having two back-ups with zero nhl experience behind a very volatile Jones isn’t the way to do it. Pick a direction.
They're not actively trying to compete? Not sure why your panties are in a wad other than the fact that they're always in a wad. Selling the expiring UFAs as possible and not going to go out and bye. The direction is picked. Can't help the players and coaches are doing their damn job and playing better hockey against bad teams lately...

Reactions: Alwalys

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They have, the picked the refresh with the ability to still push for the playoffs.

The 0 nhl experience thing means nothing, lots of playoff contenders go into seasons with backups and some times starters that have barely any nhl experience.
It’s a floundering position if the goal is to put Jones in net for 15 out of the last, what 16 games? But then again they put themselves in this position. They can either make a push with Jones only to wear him out or they can wave the flag and at least play Kor for a 5 or 6 for better or worse. I don’t trust what BB says because frankly I don’t know if he knows what he wants to do.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
This suggests that they aren’t sold on Jaros or Claesson if Vlasic has to be out awhile.

Or it could just be a contract to counter Dubnyk’s

Time will tell.
Guessing more the latter. Basically works as retention without having to use a retention. Can push Pateryn to the taxi squad as well and get more cap space to sell for assets.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They're not actively trying to compete? Not sure why your panties are in a wad other than the fact that they're always in a wad. Selling the expiring UFAs as possible and not going to go out and bye. The direction is picked. Can't help the players and coaches are doing their damn job and playing better hockey against bad teams lately...
Frankly I don’t know why either. Lol. They’re not, I think it’s the right move. I guess my annoyance has just bubbled over for a year and a half and I don’t know why now of all times it’s altering my perspective. It’s freaking Devan Dubnyk!

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Question, as it stands and not that it matters but does the team have to protect Jones in the expansion draft?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It’s a floundering position if the goal is to put Jones in net for 15 out of the last, what 16 games? But then again they put themselves in this position. They can either make a push with Jones only to wear him out or they can wave the flag and at least play Kor for a 5 or 6 for better or worse. I don’t trust what BB says because frankly I don’t know if he knows what he wants to do.

Keeping dubnyk is the same as using an inexperienced goalie, can't actually be much worse then dubnyk is this year. He is making jones of last year look like martin brodeur.

Reactions: Alwalys

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Keeping dubnyk is the same as using an inexperienced goalie, can't actually be much worse then dubnyk is this year. He is making jones of last year look like martin brodeur.
I feel he kind of got a raw deal here. If you look at who he played, out of the 17 games, only 2 were against the weaker Cali teams, both Anaheim and he gave up a combined 1 goal. They protected Jones so much and while it’s paying off now and it’s not like Devan did anything to steal the job, he was definitely set up to fail.

Reactions: one2gamble

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I feel he kind of got a raw deal here. If you look at who he played, out of the 17 games, only 2 were against the weaker Cali teams, both Anaheim and he gave up a combined 1 goal. They protected Jones so much and while it’s paying off now and it’s not like Devan did anything to steal the job, he was definitely set up to fail.
He was here to stabilize the situation in goal, and he was only really an option here because Jones was so abysmal. He was never going to be the starter unless he stole it which he did in like maybe one or two short spurts this season. Jones coming back to some kind of form is the literal desired outcome so alles gut.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He was here to stabilize the situation in goal, and he was only really an option here because Jones was so abysmal. He was never going to be the starter unless he stole it which he did in like maybe one or two short spurts this season. Jones coming back to some kind of form is the literal desired outcome so alles gut.
No doubt. But he was still set up to fail.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The team announced this officially on social media which makes me think they're not planning on immediately flipping Pateryn. (Remember, they didn't announce Hoffman until they completed the second deal.)

If they don't plan on immediately flipping Pateryn, and instead acquired him with the hopes of playing him, that leads me to believe Vlasic's injury is a bit more serious than they previously thought.
Does Pateryn have value? To me it looks like a cap dump to keep salary even

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Okay so I misunderstood on Pateryn. There is no salary retained but he is buried in the minors so only half his contract counts against the cap.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

In a way, his attaboys, arm around the shoulder, high fives, and attitude helped Joner and the Sharks get their groove back. So, he served a good cause, even if it wasn't done in net.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Okay so I misunderstood on Pateryn. There is no salary retained but he is buried in the minors so only half his contract counts against the cap.
I think he will get called up eventually. DW mentioned his wife just had a baby in So Cal but he expects him to be part of the active roster. Don't know that it makes sense though given Jaros should be getting those games to build something for the future. We all know DW doesn't always mean what he says and always praises the player(s) so maybe he just said that and will keep Pateryn on the taxi squad.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
We pick up a 7th to move way back in the 5th... Meh. And we take on a cap dump.
Moving back in the 5th-7th round hardly matters. At that point the players from rounds 5-7 taken have about equal chance of becoming NHLers so having an extra one is really the only way to improve your odds of hitting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad