Confirmed with Link: [SJS/COL] Dubnyk for Pateryn and a 5th

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Yeah, for sure a good idea to start the guy that had no idea he was going to be dressing for an NHL game when he woke up that morning because Dubnyk hadn't been traded yet and he wasn't on the active roster. Sounds like a great way to instill confidence in a young goalie making his NHL debut. Who needs a normal gameday routine ahead of the biggest moment of their life?
We all knew that Dubnyk was going to get traded. DW certainly did. Korenar has been practicing with the team on the taxi squad and waiting for a chance to play for the Sharks. Seems to me that the Sharks could have given him plenty on notice if they wanted to play him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah, for sure a good idea to start the guy that had no idea he was going to be dressing for an NHL game when he woke up that morning because Dubnyk hadn't been traded yet and he wasn't on the active roster. Sounds like a great way to instill confidence in a young goalie making his NHL debut. Who needs a normal gameday routine ahead of the biggest moment of their life?

Right? The trade happened around 230pm eastern, game started at 1030pm eastern. So he would of had less then 7 hours most likely from being told about what was happening, to needing to be on the ice for warm ups.

He would not have had any practice time with the nhl club, he would not have a morning skate with the nhl club, his game day routine would of been drastically changed (goalies are weird, they are some of the most superstitious players on the team, those routines get changed in any way and life to them is over).

Would of been a bad idea right from the get go to start an inexperienced goalie with no actual warning.

Reactions: STL Shark

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
We all knew that Dubnyk was going to get traded. DW certainly did. Korenar has been practicing with the team on the taxi squad and waiting for a chance to play for the Sharks. Seems to me that the Sharks could have given him plenty on notice if they wanted to play him.

Every one knew he was being shopped, did not mean that he would actually get traded. Wilson probably did not know it would actually go through until an hour or so before the trade actually broke.

And yes he might of been practicing with the big club, but being the 3rd goalie on a team when there is a very slim chance you will even dress, let alone get into game action means you do not actually practice much. Means you just get used for with players that want to stay late, or to help the injured/other taxi squad players.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Wilson probably did not know it would actually go through until an hour or so before the trade actually broke.
That’s pure speculation. You have no idea if that’s true.

It would not have been hard to let Korenar know to be ready because he might be in that game. It also would not have been hard to have Jones act as the 3rd goalie for yesterday’s morning skate if you knew you weren’t going to start him back to back and were working on a trade for Dubnyk. It was easy to have the rookie ready if that’s what they wanted to do. Instead, they chose to start Jones back to back.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That’s pure speculation. You have no idea if that’s true.

It would not have been hard to let Korenar know to be ready because he might be in that game. It also would not have been hard to have Jones act as the 3rd goalie for yesterday’s morning skate if you knew you weren’t going to start him back to back and were working on a trade for Dubnyk. It was easy to have the rookie ready if that’s what they wanted to do. Instead, they chose to start Jones back to back.

Wilson would know he is working on a trade yes, but he absolutely would not know the deal was going to go through until sakic said yes let's do the trade call i agree. There is another team and person involved in a trade that wilson can't control. Wilson could of did everything you just said and then sakic goes oh sorry i don't want to make this trade. Now you are stuck with no goalies that are ready to play the game.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Wilson would know he is working on a trade yes, but he absolutely would not know the deal was going to go through until sakic said yes let's do the trade call i agree. There is another team and person involved in a trade that wilson can't control. Wilson could of did everything you just said and then sakic goes oh sorry i don't want to make this trade. Now you are stuck with no goalies that are ready to play the game.
No. If Korenar and Dubnyk practiced in the morning skate, both would be ready to go. So you have the choice to showcase Dubnyk one more time before the deadline or give the rookie his 1st start.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Everyone and their mother knew Dubs was getting traded so not holding him out like Devils did with Palmeiri would have made more sense. Having Korenar ready a couple of days in advance especially knowing we were on a back to back would have actually required foresight, but yes Korenar starting yesterday should have been a decision made no later than Friday.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Cool. So instead of having foresight the team has had two goalies making their debuts in mop-up duty in must-win games because they keep giving Martin Jones both games in a back to back. Who are they gonna sign next year, Duane Roloson?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think it's pretty telling that at least one team actually traded assets for Devan f***ing Dubnyk while not even a single team inquired about Martin Jones. Every other team would've put him on unconditional waivers by now.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I think it's pretty telling that at least one team actually traded assets for Devan f***ing Dubnyk while not even a single team inquired about Martin Jones. Every other team would've put him on unconditional waivers by now.
If Jones was expiring this year Doug probably would get calls. But not with 3 more years after this one. That's way too much term.

Reactions: STL Shark

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Huge straw man argument there. Not even remotely comparable situations.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Martin Jones is making like 5m a year for the next 3 years and has a modified ntc.

Devan Dubnyk is a pending ufa.

If I'm another GM. I know which crap goalie I'm talking to the sharks about. And it's not Jones.

And if I'm Doug Wilson I know which goalie I can sell to teams in a reasonable deal. And it's not Jones.

Plus the sharks have to keep a goalie they can use to meet exposure requirements for the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad