Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Aaron Dell Signs Two Year Extension (2 years, $1.9M AAV)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
interesting. Will they trade him this summer as it would make him more attractive to other teams?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Very manageable for the sharks. I’m a bit surprised on Dells part because he may have had a chance to sign somewhere to compete for a starting job.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Very manageable for the sharks. I’m a bit surprised on Dells part because he may have had a chance to sign somewhere to compete for a starting job.

3.8m reasons to sign that contract. For someone who's made maybe 1m total (probably a little less) over his pro career to date... getting that guaranteed 3.8m (or 3.2m if he gets bought out in June 2019 - very unlikely) is huge for him.

He can be a little pickier in a couple years... but right now, I imagine that he's looking out for #1, getting that guaranteed contract.

Reactions: Howard Beale

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
3.8m reasons to sign that contract. For someone who's made maybe 1m total (probably a little less) over his pro career to date... getting that guaranteed 3.8m (or 3.2m if he gets bought out in June 2019 - very unlikely) is huge for him.

At age 28 with the season he has had surprised he opted not to go to free agency. He should still get a contract. Should have been worth the risk.

But, to each their own.

Reactions: Seanaconda and SI90

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He can be a little pickier in a couple years... but right now, I imagine that he's looking out for #1, getting that guaranteed contract.

Bingo. He was playing in the ECHL as a 25 year old, to become a multi-millionaire just a little over 3 years later is huge.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I get that he's had a great year, but why would anyone trust him as a starter? I'm glad a team like the Islanders can't offer him a four year deal like the way the Hurricanes gave Scott Darling, who was also never a starter, starter money when he didn't deserve it. That has blown up in their face.

Seems like he's in a great situation. Jones is excellent but having Dell helps everyone.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Very attractive contract for any team that would want to trade for him and try him as a starter. I think he's starter material.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get that he's had a great year, but why would anyone trust him as a starter? I'm glad a team like the Islanders can't offer him a four year deal like the way the Hurricanes gave Scott Darling, who was also never a starter, starter money when he didn't deserve it. That has blown up in their face.

Seems like he's in a great situation. Jones is excellent but having Dell helps everyone.
Kind if how it works for guys who are backups to a legit #1 guy.

Barring a long term injury to the #1 guy, and then factoring in contract status, the backup has to be the one to move on.

Lundqvist not moving. So Talbot had to. Quick not moving, so Jones had to. Crawford not moving so darling had to.

Just whether you as a team should hand out a long term deal for someone unproven. Cap hit to darling is fine, but should have done a short term 2 year deal to have him prove it.

Goalie market is weak. Very little movement. So, the chances are low that you lose a guy that you want to keep.

Reactions: Fenris

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's not really that they'd trust him to be a starter. They'd take the risk to see if he could because some teams simply don't have other options to go with.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Kind if how it works for guys who are backups to a legit #1 guy.

Barring a long term injury to the #1 guy, and then factoring in contract status, the backup has to be the one to move on.

Lundqvist not moving. So Talbot had to. Quick not moving, so Jones had to. Crawford not moving so darling had to.

Just whether you as a team should hand out a long term deal for someone unproven. Cap hit to darling is fine, but should have done a short term 2 year deal to have him prove it.

Goalie market is weak. Very little movement. So, the chances are low that you lose a guy that you want to keep.

Well, the bolded is more or less what I'm saying. How can you risk giving a four-year deal to a player that's never been an NHL starter? Especially at starter salary. I just didn't get it from the Hurricanes perspective. Remember when the Coyotes originally signed Mike Smith to a two-year, $2M/year deal. That was a very smart move.

It's not really that they'd trust him to be a starter. They'd take the risk to see if he could because some teams simply don't have other options to go with.

At the deal Darling got, that was trusting him to be a starter. Dell's contract is perfect for what he's brought to the Sharks/NHL. I'm glad this is what he got, because it's excellent pay for the exact role he's being counted on.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At the deal Darling got, that was trusting him to be a starter. Dell's contract is perfect for what he's brought to the Sharks/NHL. I'm glad this is what he got, because it's excellent pay for the exact role he's being counted on.

Yeah but it's also Carolina as a bad team. They have to overpay to have someone take that job in certain cases. This is the same team that gave Cam Ward another two year contract at 6.6 mil coming off a season where he had a .909 save percentage. That's what the cost was for them to get him and they didn't have many options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad