Kings Article: SJ GM Wilson Tries To Pull Another Fast One In Remarks About LA Kings’ Dustin Brown

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Yes, they do, and I don't want that reputation getting any worse. It wasn't that long ago that Brown had a rep as being one of the squeakiest clean hitters in the league. Now he's a "diver" and he's starting to get the "dirty" label too.

Yes, suck it up. I don't get what the problem is in calling a guy you injured (even if it is part of the game). What, are Brown's core principles being broken? This isn't to placate Wilson or butt-hurt Sharks fans. I'd rather Brown spend ten minutes of his time reciting a canned condolences message now than spend two minutes in the box come playoff time just because some ref was swayed by what Wilson said.

Not the point. I don't care about an apology from Wilson. I do care about a ref sitting at home watching this whole debacle thinking, hmm, maybe Wilson is right, Brown IS a dirty/classless guy. And then having that turn a 50/50 call into a 55/45 one in the playoffs. That may not happen, it may be that the refs collectively don't care. But I doubt that, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Sorry guys, even in hockey, PR matters whether we like it or not. Referees are human too, and they are subject to public opinion, editorial, and advertisements, just like the rest of us.

I HOPE you're right, but I think you're wrong. I think it's already happening. And if you're wrong, it means the Kings will pay for this on the ice.

He absolutely would have. And it would have turned out just fine because it was obvious Hertl was bracing for the hit. At worst it would have been a penalty, but I would have taken that to see the Sharks' prized rookie get laid out.

If you don't think he's known for late hits, go see the recent Brown threads on the main board. He may not have already solidified his reputation as a dirty/late hitter, but it's getting there.

You can't use the main boards as a way to prove your point. They all base hip actions on one play in the coyote series 2 years ago. Hell there's a ton on the main boards defending the neal kick. Has brown ever got a charging penalty? Has he ever been penalized for a late hit? I honestly don't remember if he did.

I just find it funny that you want brown to lay him out on a very late hit, which would have been way worse than him actually trying to get out of the way?

I don't know, seems you are set in your opinion. I don't see why a call is warrented when it wasn't a dirty play. It's like asking the guy who broke carters foot on a shot. Should he have to call carter? There just isn't a need, its a hockey play.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Yes, they do, and I don't want that reputation getting any worse. It wasn't that long ago that Brown had a rep as being one of the squeakiest clean hitters in the league. Now he's a "diver" and he's starting to get the "dirty" label too.

Yes, suck it up. I don't get what the problem is in calling a guy you injured (even if it is part of the game). What, are Brown's core principles being broken? This isn't to placate Wilson or butt-hurt Sharks fans. I'd rather Brown spend ten minutes of his time reciting a canned condolences message now than spend two minutes in the box come playoff time just because some ref was swayed by what Wilson said.

Not the point. I don't care about an apology from Wilson. I do care about a ref sitting at home watching this whole debacle thinking, hmm, maybe Wilson is right, Brown IS a dirty/classless guy. And then having that turn a 50/50 call into a 55/45 one in the playoffs. That may not happen, it may be that the refs collectively don't care. But I doubt that, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Sorry guys, even in hockey, PR matters whether we like it or not. Referees are human too, and they are subject to public opinion, editorial, and advertisements, just like the rest of us.

I HOPE you're right, but I think you're wrong. I think it's already happening. And if you're wrong, it means the Kings will pay for this on the ice.

He absolutely would have. And it would have turned out just fine because it was obvious Hertl was bracing for the hit. At worst it would have been a penalty, but I would have taken that to see the Sharks' prized rookie get laid out.

If you don't think he's known for late hits, go see the recent Brown threads on the main board. He may not have already solidified his reputation as a dirty/late hitter, but it's getting there.

It's a simple case of haters gonna hate.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings have had a better record than the Sharks one time in the past ten years. I don't think that is how inferiority complexes are developed.

Lombardi did in 6 years what Wilson hasn't been able to do since he got to San Jose, and Wilson was dealt the far better hand.

Wilson is inferior to Lombardi.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
You can't use the main boards as a way to prove your point. They all base hip actions on one play in the coyote series 2 years ago. Hell there's a ton on the main boards defending the neal kick. Has brown ever got a charging penalty? Has he ever been penalized for a late hit? I honestly don't remember if he did.

Fair enough, and I'm not saying that the main boards are reflective of how the refs or NHL officials feel. I'm just saying that I don't think it's safe to assume that nobody thinks of Brown as a dirty player. It's already seeping into people that are close enough to refs and NHL officials to matter. E.g., Milbury, and other media...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...lle-shanaban-coming-video-071955779--nhl.html.
http://bigmouthbarry.com/garry-galley-calls-dustin-brown-stupid-and-a-predator/

So it's happening, and we can (legitimately) say those guys are wrong. But that's just howling into the wind. Beyond that, Brown can also do something to minimize the damage being done to his reputation, which I believe is affecting his on-ice play.

I just find it funny that you want brown to lay him out on a very late hit, which would have been way worse than him actually trying to get out of the way?

Yeah, you're right, it does sound funny because I do believe Brown should have just gone for the hit. No, what happened was way worse, even if Hertl hadn't been injured. At the time I was fully expecting it to be a huge statement hit, and when he bailed I was thinking, WTF just happened? I don't think it would have been late, and it certainly wasn't blindside. But that's just it. I think him worrying about a suspension is hurting his play.

There aren't many players in the game that have the ability to set the tone for a game or a series the way that Brown can. And this was one of those times that he could have really stuck it to the Sharks. "Look at your awesome Calder candidate, oh no, did I break him?" And he passed it up. Why?

Look at the hit he put on Sedin during the Cup run:

That was a split second away from being blindside; Sedin turned around just soon enough for it to not be a penalty. In fact, Brown couldn't have known that Sedin was going to turn before committing to the hit. But the risk is a penalty versus completely demoralizing the Canucks, and he took it. And that was a clean, beautiful, you-just-got-owned hit. When that hit happened, I thought, man, the Nucks are finished, there no graceful way of coming back from that. I am worried that Brown doesn't go for those anymore because he's worried about getting suspended.

I don't know, seems you are set in your opinion. I don't see why a call is warrented when it wasn't a dirty play. It's like asking the guy who broke carters foot on a shot. Should he have to call carter? There just isn't a need, its a hockey play.

A call isn't WARRANTED, it just would be a smart thing to do, for Brown in particular. Carter doesn't have to worry about his reputation, his game isn't really affected by how the refs or other players view him, and no GM is going to pull the no-class card on him. But really, if either player did make a call to check on a player they injured, regardless of whether or not it was dirty, where is the downside in it? Running low on mobile minutes? Too much effort to get his number? Or that's just not how he rolls?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Fair enough, and I'm not saying that the main boards are reflective of how the refs or NHL officials feel. I'm just saying that I don't think it's safe to assume that nobody thinks of Brown as a dirty player. It's already seeping into people that are close enough to refs and NHL officials to matter. E.g., Milbury, and other media...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...lle-shanaban-coming-video-071955779--nhl.html.

So it's happening, and we can (legitimately) say those guys are wrong. But that's just howling into the wind. Beyond that, Brown can also do something to minimize the damage being done to his reputation, which I believe is affecting his on-ice play.

Yeah, you're right, it does sound funny because I do believe Brown should have just gone for the hit. No, what happened was way worse, even if Hertl hadn't been injured. At the time I was fully expecting it to be a huge statement hit, and when he bailed I was thinking, WTF just happened? I don't think it would have been late, and it certainly wasn't blindside. But that's just it. I think him worrying about a suspension is hurting his play.

There aren't many players in the game that have the ability to set the tone for a game or a series the way that Brown can. And this was one of those times that he could have really stuck it to the Sharks. "Look at your awesome Calder candidate, oh no, did I break him?" And he passed it up. Why?

That was a split second away from being blindside; Sedin turned around just soon enough for it to not be a penalty. In fact, Brown couldn't have known that Sedin was going to turn before committing to the hit. But the risk is a penalty versus completely demoralizing the Canucks, and he took it. And that was a clean, beautiful, you-just-got-owned hit. When that hit happened, I thought, man, the Nucks are finished, there no graceful way of coming back from that. I am worried that Brown doesn't go for those anymore because he's worried about getting suspended.

A call isn't WARRANTED, it just would be a smart thing to do, for Brown in particular. Carter doesn't have to worry about his reputation, his game isn't really affected by how the refs or other players view him, and no GM is going to pull the no-class card on him. But really, if either player did make a call to check on a player they injured, regardless of whether or not it was dirty, where is the downside in it? Running low on mobile minutes? Too much effort to get his number? Or that's just not how he rolls?

Has Hertl called Brown to thank him for attempting to avoid a devastating open ice hit? I think Brown had a sore knee also, maybe the apologies should be mutual.

I get the point you are trying to make but I like that Brown is completely unapologetic in the way that he plays the game. Leading the league in hits year after year takes more of a toll on him than it does his opponents. If people want payback, then they will just have to wait for an opportunity to line him up.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Brown said he was trying to avoid the hit because he thought it would be a late hit and clearly he didn't want to go to the box... Now, obviously the way it turned out was worse, but his reasoning wasn't unsound.

I liken it to when the light turns yellow and you're at that awkward distance where you could probably stop...or you could speed up and get through the intersection. Brown elected to stop and he didn't quite make it.

Ewan McGregor*

shark-tears.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
It's already seeping into people that are close enough to refs and NHL officials to matter. E.g., Milbury, and other media...

So it's happening, and we can (legitimately) say those guys are wrong.

Uh...so we have one Puck Daddy article quoting Russo, a local beat writer having a meltdown; Mike Milbury, noted idiot, being debated by others in the broadcast crew; and you count Big Mouth Barry as media? Really now.

As Puck Daddy said when this incident happened, it's not Brown's fault, so everyone should simmer down.

I'm trying to remember when any Cup winning GM bothered to whine to the media like that over a lack of a "You ok?" It wasn't a concussion, and anybody who'd played the game can watch the replay and see that he didn't stick his leg out. Texting is not protocol after every accidental hit in the NHL, so while it was fine red meat for the Sharks fanbase--who were melting down hilariously anyway--I doubt anyone in the NHL is so easily led.

As for the hit on Sedin: there is a penalty for blindside hits to the head. There is no penalty for a blindside hit if you hit somebody through the body, which is what Brown did -- and why Sedin publicly stated it was clean. I know some Canucks fans still think otherwise, but what are you going to do? Tell Brown to keep delivering that kind of hit ten times out of ten.

Basically, you can't control what every idiot says, and you'd go mad attempting to try. Wilson did nothing to harm him, and made himself look bad. And Brown's going to remain an effective hitter in the NHL, whether he texts players afterward or not.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

If you don't think he's known for late hits, go see the recent Brown threads on the main board. He may not have already solidified his reputation as a dirty/late hitter, but it's getting there

He's approaching public enemy #1 with a bullet. It usually only takes a page or two before someone brings up hits from 5 seasons ago or his attempt at hitting Schwartz in the playoffs. People were calling for 5-10 games for the hit on Hertl.:shakehead

Winger23

May 3, 2007

I completely understand where you are coming from. I will say this though since you brought up the Sedin hit. That's a playoffs hit. The intensity is 10 times greater than a regular season game. Richards does/did the same thing in that series. You won't see him go for monster hits until the post-season starts. I'm not saying DB doesn't or shouldn't be throwing big hits. He's a better player when throwing his weight around for sure. I think he's just at the age where he's been around enough to realize he can't go through an entire season throwing huge checks every game and be healthy come playoffs time.

We have a different viewpoint on whether or not the open ice hit would have been late or not. Things happen so fast I've got to assume if a player has time to think it's going to be late before it happens then it's probably going to be a late hit. What was the score at the time? was it when the Kings were only up by 1 or 2? It's possible he was more concerned about staying out of the penalty box than trying to send a message with a huge hit. Just my 2 cents.

I'm still assuming he's been struggling this year because of his injury to his leg all year. Not an excuse but it just looks to me like he's not 100%. You think it's his rep and having to change the way he plays. We are just going to have to respectfully agree to disagree.

There's always going to be 2 sides on borderline hits. Just how it's going to be. To be quite honest, I think Brown's reputation as a hitter is pretty solid. Again I think most of the hate comes from his diving. He's had maybe 4, 5 borderline hits in his career. Given that he dishes out a few hundred checks a year, with quite a few of them being pretty big hits, I don't see how people could tarnish his reputation as anything else as a clean hitter, who has on occasion crossed the line. I mean the math speaks for itself. less than 1% of his checks are even questioned? IMO that's amazing for someone who hits as often as he does.

zeppelin97

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I don't agree with Gann - that Wilson is trying to appease SJ fans.

Wilson is starting to unwind. Not winning a cup, but seeing the Kings win it I think has pushed him over the edge (jealousy). Wilson is a Basket Case. Every close play is going to be scrutinized by Doug Wilson, in hopes of scraping out moral victorys since a cup victory is so far out of reach.

Expect more Wilson craziness in the not so distant future.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I don't agree with Gann - that Wilson is trying to appease SJ fans.

Wilson is starting to unwind. Not winning a cup, but seeing the Kings win it I think has pushed him over the edge (jealousy). Wilson is a Basket Case. Every close play is going to be scrutinized by Doug Wilson, in hopes of scraping out moral victorys since a cup victory is so far out of reach.

Expect more Wilson craziness in the not so distant future.

What Gann said is part of this for sure but I think it also is specifically Lombardi (the guy that he replaced) that is driving this. Both times Wilson has opened his mouth lately it's been directed at the Kings, so there's got to be more to it than simply appeaseing Sharks fans. My take is he's trying to build a rivalry and forcing it... Badly. LA has the _ucks and Coyotes as rivals right now and there is lowly San Jose that has well, no one honestly to be a rival with.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
To some extent I agree, but it's the world we live in, and these effects are already happening. The Brown of old would have clobbered Hertl with an open ice hit and asked questions later, instead of second guess the attempt and bail out. And remember when Milbury and Roenick were arguing over the Roszival hit, and Milbury was spouting about how Brown has a reputation as playing on the line? I assure you that didn't just come from him. Brown is getting a bad rep and he needs as many "classy" points as he can get. Again, it would have taken 10 minutes. Suck it up, call the kid, and you don't have to worry about a rival GM spreading more of this Brown-is-not-only-dirty-but-classless-too nonsense.

A) There has been the rumour Brown hs been playing hurt all season which if true would explain him bailing out on the Hertl hit.

B) Brown has never cared about that rep before and he's now half way through his career. He's not going to start playing like he cares about what a blowhard like Milbury thinks, or any other person (including the refs) either. Now IF the refs started calling him for everything based on rep, like Carcillo for example, THEN he may start to care. Until then, Brown will be Brown.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Heck, if Brown would have called Hertl before the Wilson comments, Wilson would have used his time on air to say Brown should get a suspension because, "see, he called Hertl, so he knows the hit crossed the line."

Wilson is just a whiner. I live here in NoCal and all the Bay Area fans are whiners. Super sized inferiority complex when it come the LA teams. "Beat LA" is the only chant they know.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Doug Wilson is following the pattern of most NoCal sports fans, the tradition of whining and acting like a bunch of babies. And remember people, we're from LA, so we're all hooligans. Don't forget that!

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

That was a split second away from being blindside; Sedin turned around just soon enough for it to not be a penalty. In fact, Brown couldn't have known that Sedin was going to turn before committing to the hit. But the risk is a penalty versus completely demoralizing the Canucks, and he took it. And that was a clean, beautiful, you-just-got-owned hit.

When that hit happened, I thought, man, the Nucks are finished, there no graceful way of coming back from that. I am worried that Brown doesn't go for those anymore because he's worried about getting suspended.

^^^ one of the top 5 hits I've ever seen.

Listen to the color guy, he says something during the replay like "...how late the hit is.... and .... hit by the elbow..." neither of which is even close to being true. :laugh:

... but it fits the script of Canadian playoff announcers... :facepalm:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Heck, if Brown would have called Hertl before the Wilson comments, Wilson would have used his time on air to say Brown should get a suspension because, "see, he called Hertl, so he knows the hit crossed the line."

I agree with this. A ****** like Wilson would use that as validation for a dirty play. I said earlier I don't think Brown should necessarily apologize but maybe he SHOULD wish hertl well or a speedy recovery, but at this point, that would just be fodder for Wilson. **** it. Let him stew in his own ridiculousness.

Next game will be extra spicy. Jan 27th IN San Jose. Think the media will be whipping them into a frenzy then? :nod:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My take is he's trying to build a rivalry and forcing it... Badly. LA has the _ucks and Coyotes as rivals right now and there is lowly San Jose that has well, no one honestly to be a rival with.

That might be taking it a bit too far. There's a good number of people around here that dislike the Sharks more than any other team. Over the last few years, a Kings/Sharks game has had a playoff feel to it, especially since last year.

I'd say there's more than enough room for the Sharks inside the ring of disdain.

That might be taking it a bit too far. There's a good number of people around here that dislike the Sharks more than any other team. Over the last few years, a Kings/Sharks game has had a playoff feel to it, especially since last year.

I'd say there's more than enough room for the Sharks inside the ring of disdain.

Yeah I'd say there is more of a rivalry between the Sharks/Kings than Kings/Ducks or Kings/Coyotes with the players on the ice. I don't hate Sharks fans for the most part but I'll never forget the amount of **** talked after Game 3 in 2011. Game 2 last year and then beating them in 7 was some delicious payback.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah I'd say there is more of a rivalry between the Sharks/Kings than Kings/Ducks or Kings/Coyotes with the players on the ice. I don't hate Sharks fans for the most part but I'll never forget the amount of **** talked after Game 3 in 2011. Game 2 last year and then beating them in 7 was some delicious payback.

I imagine from a blue perspective there is good grounds for a rivalry with us and them. Should they beat us in playoffs that will be a good rivalry for a few years.

As for your comment I agree that the kings players have more of a rivalry with the sharks than the ducks, but as a fan I enjoying the sharks fans more than the ducks and especially more than the cryotes.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Doug Wilson being a little *****. Brown gets all the hate because of the embellishing and the fact that the Kings are elite and he's the captain. What's funny is I've seen Clifford do much more blatantly reckless things on attempted hits, sticking his leg out on purpose, boarding players from behind etc, but we never see or hear anything about that because of who he is and by pure luck no injuries occurred.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Should Hertly apologize for his part in the accidental collision? I mean if Dustin Brown is the Anti Howe then isn't Hertly as well? I mean it was an accidental collision between two players to quote the NHL so shouldn't they both be held equally accountable?

Of course it is ridiculous but the onus doesn't have to be on the uninjured player to apologize.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site

I've been living in the Bay Area for the past 15 years. You have no idea how infuriating it's been. The people themselves are great, but man, they take no prisoners when it comes to beating up on a poor Kings fan. What with the decade and a half of watching the same people pimp the Giants (two World Series, are you kidding me?) and the 49ers ("you guys don't even have a football team"), I have to say that I hate Sharks fans far more than I hate Ducks fans. Might be because I don't know any Ducks fans.

Sounds like whining, and it is, but the last two seasons made it ALL better. =)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Dear Tomas Hertl,

I'm sorry that your teammates didn't warn you about how unadvisable it is to skate parallel to your own blue line and make a cute little backhand pass without being aware who is on the ice when you are playing the Los Angeles Kings.

I hope this experience furthered your education.

Sincerely,

Dustin Brown

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1