World Cup: 4 Nations Tournament- Team USA (2025)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Figured we start the talk about this team since we are watching the World Championships right now with a likely number of players potentially making this squad.

My early prediction for the squad as of today:

Brady Tkachuk (A) - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
Jason Robertson - J.T. Miller - Jack Hughes
Chris Kreider - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane (C)
Brock Nelson (A) - Dylan Larkin (A) - Matthew Boldy
Johnny Gaudreau/Tage Thompson

Quinn Hughes - Adam Fox
Zach Werenski (A) - Charlie McAvoy
Jaccob Slavin - John Carlson
Jake Sanderson - Seth Jones

Connor Hellebuyck
Jake Oettinger

Thatcher Demko

Just missing:
Alex Debrincat
Cole Caufield
Jake Guentzel
Kyle Connor
Clayton Keller
Alex Tuch
Joel Farabee
Brock Boeser
Vincent Trocheck
Trevor Zegras
Josh Norris
Joe Pavelski (if still playing)
Brock Faber
Jacob Trouba
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Brady Skjei
Luke Hughes
Jeremy Swayman

No spots for Caufield and Cat - smaller one dimensional players, both have showed up for USA Hockey just no spots unfortunately.

Connor, Guentzel, Trocheck and Keller have either declined WC invites the past 4 years either through non playoffs or 1st round eliminations. This team has enough skill to focus mainly on those who answered the call whether fair or not.

Really wanted to add Swayman here since he came before to the World Championships, but just like that trio better right now..him or Demko can be flipped. Can't not take Hellboy regardless of him not coming to play at the WC...

Holy hell this team is hard to pick and crazy deep. This is the best collection of American talent I have ever tried to put a team together with. Many star players are being left off for either just no spots or other players who showed more heart and came for World Championships prior.

Rotating A's - Werenski, Larkin, Neslon, B. Tkachuk

This team is a Gold medal contender. Top down very few if any weaknesses. I rewarded loyalty and I firmly believe Guerin & company will as well. The whole point to get players to show for the WC is to put them in better standing for World Cups and Olympics. There is no way Brock Nelson can be left off this team. Same for Gaudreau, Seth Jones and Matthew Boldy. Loyalty matters.

Last edited:

ecg2001

Jan 5, 2024
Gaudreau - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Robertson - Eichel - Guentzel
Miller - J. Hughes - Boeser
Kreider - Larkin - Boldy
B. Tkachuk

Q. Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Faber
Hanifin

Hellebuyck
Demko
Swayman

I know Gaudreau doesn't deserve it based on his last two seasons, but he was so good his last year in Calgary with Tkachuk, and I think he would have better numbers on any other team in the league because of how horrid CBJ is. He fits so well next to Tkachuk and Matthews. Connor and Keller were hard to leave off, and overall, I think the US lacks natural RW depth. Maybe Leonard or someone else will explode over the next year. I'm really excited about the third and second lines. Miller and Boeser have been great this year and fit well with Hughes, and I think Eichel and Robertson could dominate together. The D-core and goalies will be solid no matter what. I think this team's ceiling depends on how much the wingers can produce offensively.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kane/Nelson/Boldy over Kreider/Trocheck/Guentzel is just wrong.
Kreider is on the team and Trocheck and Guentzel haven't played for team USA in ages..what is wrong with that? Kane is the greatest American all-time, he isn't not making the team over the players you listed..You haven't been watching Boldy and Nelson much if you think they don't belong here...

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, JT Miller, Larkin are physical players. So is Trocheck. Still need some of that in todays hockey. I would include all 6

Robertson - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
B. Tkachuk - Eichel - Guentzel
Miller - J. Hughes - Kane
Kreider - Larkin - Trocheck

Perfect mix of skill and grit. Kane is still very good. Guentzel is massivly underated.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tkachuk brothers, Kreider, JT Miller, Larkin are physical players. So is Trocheck. Still need some of that in todays hockey. I would include all 6

Robertson - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
B. Tkachuk - Eichel - Guentzel
Miller - J. Hughes - Kane
Kreider - Larkin - Trocheck

Perfect mix of skill and grit. Kane is still very good. Guentzel is massivly underated.
I don't underestimate their skill, but their heart.

Guentzel has never played for USA hockey..ever. He was supposed to show up last year at the WC, had the head coach Quinn announce he was coming only to back out. He doesn't make my team because I don't believe he gives 2 shits playing for his country.

Trocheck declined multiple times in Florida to play at the WC as well and has been in playoffs most every year since. He hasn't played for USA Hockey in a decade. I might be more inclined to take him over Guentzel since he hasn't recently snubbed the US.

Both very talented guys, that should make this team, but loyalty needs to matter and I would rather go with guys who did show up before. Just my personal take on those 2.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Guentzel likely cracks the lineup now.
Yeah, I am sure that will be a big help to his cause. Not going to be against a player like him making this team with his skill, on skill he should be here..

But my only concern is if the management team goes out and says showing up matters for the World Championships and then you pick players who didn't...what the hell is the point and why should anyone bother showing up moving forward??

Reactions: Summer Rose

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Appreciate you taking guys that care about playing for the Jersey. Hard to leave Trochek off though, guy is a beast, and plays a well rounded game, can help you win games on any line 1-4.

I would think Tage Thompson rebounds, maybe not to the same peak as the year before last, but like 97% there.

I would split up M. Tkachuk and Matthews, both guys drive okay on their own IMO, so might as well create two absolute units with them as your base. Would love to see Kaner play with Matthews, and M. Tkachuk with Eichel.

Will be fun guessing at this roster.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Appreciate you taking guys that care about playing for the Jersey. Hard to leave Trochek off though, guy is a beast, and plays a well rounded game, can help you win games on any line 1-4.

I would think Tage Thompson rebounds, maybe not to the same peak as the year before last, but like 97% there.

I would split up M. Tkachuk and Matthews, both guys drive okay on their own IMO, so might as well create two absolute units with them as your base. Would love to see Kaner play with Matthews, and M. Tkachuk with Eichel.

Will be fun guessing at this roster.
A lot of options here. I again can't recall depth like this before.

In 1996 for the World Cup, we were lucky to have the talent we had, but if you look at players who didn't make the cut, there wasn't a ton of players who you could say should have been there.

Same for 2002 Olympics.

2010 Olympics the depth started to show up and we had some players left off that some of us felt should have been there. But in the end that team got the most out of the talent that was brought. No complaints.

This squad has a dozen or so legit top names that won't make this team because almost every position has numerous potential options there. Goaltending right now is a clear cut top 4 but that could change some next year. Outside of that, there is just an insane level of talent available and I hope the US makes the right call and rewards more loyal players than not like you said..

Per Matthews and M. Tkachuk - they were a line together at the USNDP - not sure how they don't pair those two back up honestly...A lot of these guys will be trying to find familiarity with their new linemates, I would rather start out with at least a few guys who have played with each other prior...Eichel and Kane played together at previous World Championships as well...

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A lot of options here. I again can't recall depth like this before.

In 1996 for the World Cup, we were lucky to have the talent we had, but if you look at players who didn't make the cut, there wasn't a ton of players who you could say should have been there.

Same for 2002 Olympics.

2010 Olympics the depth started to show up and we had some players left off that some of us felt should have been there. But in the end that team got the most out of the talent that was brought. No complaints.

This squad has a dozen or so legit top names that won't make this team because almost every position has numerous potential options there. Goaltending right now is a clear cut top 4 but that could change some next year. Outside of that, there is just an insane level of talent available and I hope the US makes the right call and rewards more loyal players than not like you said..

Per Matthews and M. Tkachuk - they were a line together at the USNDP - not sure how they don't pair those two back up honestly...A lot of these guys will be trying to find familiarity with their new linemates, I would rather start out with at least a few guys who have played with each other prior...Eichel and Kane played together at previous World Championships as well...
To me, it is going to be a much harder job to pick this team than in years like 1996 and 1998. Our depth, in particular at center is so much better. There are going to be some big names left off. It's going to come down to 1) Reputation 2) Who is playing well at the moment 3) Loyalty. I believe Guerin when he says that answering a call at events like this year's WCs is going to play a factor.

One "issue" is our center depth has never been greater. There are going to be some guys that normally play center that will be moved to the wing on the Four Nations and Olympic Teams. Here's where I see the Four Nations team right now:

Goaltenders:

Starter: I'd say Connor Hellebucyk, but he will be on a short leash
Back-up: Jake Oettinger
3rd String: Jeremy Swayman

Notes: Demko likely makes the team if he's healthy

Defensemen:

Fox/McAvoy
Q. Hughes/Slavin
Werenski/S. Jones
Sanderson/Faber

Notes: Jones will get rewarded for his continued loyalty to USA Hockey. I have a strong feeling that Trouba is going to get a long look (even though he shouldn't). Other guys that wouldn't shock me to make it include: Carlson, Vlasic, L. Hughes, and Hanifin.

Forwards:

M. Tkachuk/Matthews/Kane
Guentzel/Eichel/B. Tkachuk
Miller/Trocheck/J. Hughes
Boldy/Nelson/Gaudreau
Larkin/Kreider

Notes: Gaudreau and Nelson will get rewarded for their continued loyalty to USA Hockey. I think guys like Robertson, Thompson, Connor. and Keller also have a shot but might be on the outside looking in for various reasons. I think this will ultimately be a very "sound" team built on good skating, puck movement, and execution backed up by what will likely be the best goaltending in the tournament. A definite favorite.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
To me, it is going to be a much harder job to pick this team than in years like 1996 and 1998. Our depth, in particular at center is so much better. There are going to be some big names left off. It's going to come down to 1) Reputation 2) Who is playing well at the moment 3) Loyalty. I believe Guerin when he says that answering a call at events like this year's WCs is going to play a factor.

One "issue" is our center depth has never been greater. There are going to be some guys that normally play center that will be moved to the wing on the Four Nations and Olympic Teams. Here's where I see the Four Nations team right now:

Goaltenders:

Starter: I'd say Connor Hellebucyk, but he will be on a short leash
Back-up: Jake Oettinger
3rd String: Jeremy Swayman

Notes: Demko likely makes the team if he's healthy

Defensemen:

Fox/McAvoy
Q. Hughes/Slavin
Werenski/S. Jones
Sanderson/Faber

Notes: Jones will get rewarded for his continued loyalty to USA Hockey. I have a strong feeling that Trouba is going to get a long look (even though he shouldn't). Other guys that wouldn't shock me to make it include: Carlson, Vlasic, L. Hughes, and Hanifin.

Forwards:

M. Tkachuk/Matthews/Kane
Guentzel/Eichel/B. Tkachuk
Miller/Trocheck/J. Hughes
Boldy/Nelson/Gaudreau
Larkin/Kreider

Notes: Gaudreau and Nelson will get rewarded for their continued loyalty to USA Hockey. I think guys like Robertson, Thompson, Connor. and Keller also have a shot but might be on the outside looking in for various reasons. I think this will ultimately be a very "sound" team built on good skating, puck movement, and execution backed up by what will likely be the best goaltending in the tournament. A definite favorite.
So I see you are adding those worthless bums who never answered the call for USA Hockey in Trocheck and Guentzel...how did USA Hockey connect with Trocheck, Vinnie removed them from his block list?? lol...

I would be floored if Jason Robertson didn't make the team. Size, speed, skill, he is everything we would want there. But overall, yeah there are so many options here with what this squad could look like.

I personally want to see more loyal players than not, I think Nelson, Gaudreau and Boldy have shown solid growth and chemistry as a line, in a short tournament like the 4 Nations, them being a line with chemistry would be huge..All 3 are near locks for me right now....but it also wouldn't shock me if they do add Guentzel and/or Trocheck. Both play that sandpaper game around the net. Score clutch goals in the dirty areas where we might be lacking overall...again, it wouldn't shock me, but hopefully they make it at the expense of other guys who didn't show up and not over guys like Nelson, Boldy, etc..

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Brady Tkachuk (A) - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
Jason Robertson - J.T. Miller - Jack Hughes
Chris Kreider - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane (C)
Brock Nelson (A) - Dylan Larkin (A) - Matthew Boldy
Johnny Gaudreau/Tage Thompson

Quinn Hughes - Adam Fox
Zach Werenski (A) - Charlie McAvoy
Jaccob Slavin - John Carlson
Jake Sanderson - Seth Jones

Connor Hellebuyck
Jake Oettinger

Thatcher Demko

Jake Guentzel
Kyle Connor
Vincent Trocheck
Brock Faber
Noah Hanifin
Jeremy Swayman

Wow there are some tough decisions to make.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Do you guys think the ice surface would have an impact on guys that are brought? Trouba for example should get a longer look for NHL ice vs. Olympic ice?

Reactions: Summer Rose

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Trying not to be too much of a homer here, but I'd have a very hard time leaving L Hughes off this team. He's been arguably our best defenseman at the WCs, especially since switching to RD. He's probably the fastest dman in the NHL and can play both sides of the ice.

If I were taking 8 dmen, I think I'd go:

Slavin - Fox
Q Hughes - McAvoy
McDonagh - L Hughes
Werenski - Faber

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Trying not to be too much of a homer here, but I'd have a very hard time leaving L Hughes off this team. He's been arguably our best defenseman at the WCs, especially since switching to RD. He's probably the fastest dman in the NHL and can play both sides of the ice.

If I were taking 8 dmen, I think I'd go:

Slavin - Fox
Q Hughes - McAvoy
McDonagh - L Hughes
Werenski - Faber
I love you sneaking McD in there lol...

I don't think there is a realistic chance for him to make this team...always loved his game, underrated player, but at nearly 35 I believe this ship has sailed for him.

Werenski is clearly ahead of him right now. Sanderson is going to be very hard to leave off. Him and Hughes have only gotten better each game..wouldn't mind bringing them both as a pair..

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
J. Hughes - Matthews - M. Tkachuk
Robertson - Eichel - Connor
Miller - Larkin - Kane
B. Tkachuk - Thompson - Tuch

Q. Hughes - McAvoy
Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Faber

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Demko

Reactions: AmericanDream

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau - Matthews - M Tkachuk
Robertson - Eichel - Miller
Moore - Hughes - Boldy
B Tkachuk - Larkin - Tuch
Nelson/Thompson

I would prioritize well rounded, high compete players in favor of more defensively liable forwards like Kane, Connor, Guentzel, Caufield, Zegras, Keller etc. Trevor Moore is a guy who I think has been overlooked but is really an excellent player with great wheels and motor.

Slavin - Fox
Q Hughes - McAvoy
McDonagh - L Hughes
Werenski - Faber

Oettinger
Hellebuyck
Demko
I love you sneaking McD in there lol...

I don't think there is a realistic chance for him to make this team...always loved his game, underrated player, but at nearly 35 I believe this ship has sailed for him.

Werenski is clearly ahead of him right now. Sanderson is going to be very hard to leave off. Him and Hughes have only gotten better each game..wouldn't mind bringing them both as a pair..

McD is such a warrior, I think that he'd have no problem getting up for a tournament like this. The guy is a tremendous athlete and in great shape. I could see 1-2 of Sanderson, Faber, or L Hughes making the roster. I actually think Vlasic might actually be worth serious consideration too. We've got so many great young dmen.

Werenski is way too lax defensively and just doesn't compete hard enough for me. He's rubbed me the wrong way since the 2016 WJC in Helsinki when he just let that Russian skate right around him to score the eventual game winner late in the 2nd period of the semifinal.

It's great that guys like him and Carlson can score, but they are just too easy to play against.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad