Post-Game Talk: Sixty Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Why do you believe he's taking it for granted? I think he's more likely being eaten up inside by it.
Because he hasn’t don’t a single thing to try and change his game? I don’t expect him to be a power forward but he still ONLY attempts shots if it’s a one timer. Like I know he’s got a pretty good one but it can’t be your only tool.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Once the playoffs start, the "rules" and "egos" go out the window. If Zibanejad still plays like this, they will juggle the power play and other stuff. He will get less minutes. I don't think Lavy will hesitate to move players around the lineup.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Once the playoffs start, the "rules" and "egos" go out the window. If Zibanejad still plays like this, they will juggle the power play and other stuff. He will get less minutes. I don't think Lavy will hesitate to move players around the lineup.
Let's pray to the hockey gods that he's saving it for the playoffs. That will erase all this (seemingly) lackadaisical play most of this season.

Reactions: will1066

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Because he hasn’t don’t a single thing to try and change his game? I don’t expect him to be a power forward but he still ONLY attempts shots if it’s a one timer. Like I know he’s got a pretty good one but it can’t be your only tool.

You truly believe he doesn't care enough?

That makes no sense to me.

If that were true, he'd be despised by his teammates and be a regular scratch

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zibanejad struggled in Ottawa. That's why he was available.

When he came here, he found a niche putting up numbers with a certain skillset, and he continues to do what earns him ice time and money.

If he was capable of being a more complete player, he would be. He's very limited and he scores goals from his spots because that's what he's good at.

He's never been what people want him to be.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

When he came here, he found a niche putting up numbers with a certain skillset, and he continues to do what earns him ice time and money.

If he was capable of being a more complete player, he would be. He's very limited and he scores goals from his spots because that's what he's good at.

Probably why he and Kreider are besties. They get one another.

Reactions: ArPanet

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

A couple years ago he was. You can’t honestly claim that he plays like how he played a couple of years ago. He used to drive the net, he used to shoot more, he used to hound defenders.

His game has gotten worse, and I don’t buy that it’s because of aging.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Rangers fans in 2011: "Kreider should become a 30-30 guy."

Kreider: *does that*

Rangers fans in 2024: "I hate this somehow."

I’m sorry are we not allowed to call players out when they give a shit effort on a play or they have a really bad game while still appreciating their overall body of work?

Chris Kreider should have at least made an attempt to get back after a terrible turnover instead of just standing there, it was atrocious. I’m also happy we have someone as talented him in on the team.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Starting to experiment in the playoffs is mighty late tho.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m sorry are we not allowed to call players out when they give a shit effort on a play or they have a really bad game while still appreciating their overall body of work?

Chris Kreider should have at least made an attempt to get back after a terrible turnover instead of just standing there, it was atrocious. I’m also happy we have someone as talented him in on the team.
If you appreciated his body of work, you would understand that he didn't achieve that body of work by not caring. He's given us everything he has and it's ridiculous to question his effort after 13 years of doing so.

Sometimes he has a shitty game and that's fine. When it's anybody else, they're just ass. When it's Kreider, it's because he didn't try. He's human.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't care we lost. Hellebuyck is a wall. I care we didn't crash the net when we're getting goalied, it seems like we fall pray to this sometimes.

I really really am bothered by Zibs but that's nothing new. It's rekindled and exacerbated with every loss though.

It was an even game. They finished more than we did. We've had some tough puck luck

those kind of games sometimes just come down to some luck or one little thing or so. First two Jets goals were a bit flukey...a wiffed shot messes up Shesterkin's save attempt. A blocked shot on the PP ricochets directly to the wide open guy with a wide open net.
On the flip side, Rangers first goal could be "flukey" too...a rebound right on the stick of the guy in front. 2nd goal another rebound nabbed...could say those are just the kind of goals you get when you try for rebounds but sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't.
A bad turnover and Shesterkin not making that save and Hellebuyck making a few on clean shots ends up being the difference.

I dunno, didn't hate the game, it's tough to get inside on teams like that and get it past a giant goalie, but game could have gone the Rangers way as well with a bounce here or there

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
If you appreciated his body of work, you would understand that he didn't achieve that body of work by not caring. He's given us everything he has and it's ridiculous to question his effort after 13 years of doing so.

Sometimes he has a shitty game and that's fine. When it's anybody else, they're just ass. When it's Kreider, it's because he didn't try. He's human.

I never said he didn’t care. I said on that particularly play he didn’t put in any effort to get back. A play that wound up costing us the game.

I can’t even fault him on that shot attempt in the final minute, that would have been a tough play to score on.

No one is perfect, not even your demi-god Kreider. When someone doesn’t put in the necessary effort it’s ok to call them out on it.

Reactions: skipmowerman

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I never said he didn’t care. I said on that particularly play he didn’t put in any effort to get back. A play that wound up costing us the game.

I can’t even fault him on that shot attempt in the final minute, that would have been a tough play to score on.

No one is perfect, not even your demi-god Kreider. When someone doesn’t put in the necessary effort it’s ok to call them out on it.
It's not about whether you can call somebody out or not.

The reactions to Kreider are always different from those to other players, in a bad way. If anything, Kreider should have earned the benefit of the doubt. It should go the other way.

We see the comments about him giving a bad effort even when he's objectively playing well, because I don't know...I guess people don't like specific things he did? It happens every game.

I don't really care about that. I care about results.

I agree with whoever said that weasel Brooks started this culture. He would have unironically traded Kreider for Josh Anderson.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Kreider has scored 137 goals (including playoffs) in a little less than 3 seasons. He's on pace for another 70+ point season at age 33. He's a top penalty killer, one of the best net front PP guys maybe ever, and a net positive at even strength. Yet a bunch of mutant fans hate him. A homegrown, first round pick who has built for himself a legendary Ranger career. Far better than his hockey talents should have taken him. And he's also earned every damn penny of his contract - even though ya'll were ready to run him out of town four years ago.

It is by far one of the dumbest things to ever occur in Rangerland, probably just below the numbf***s who still chant "Potvin sucks." This fan base is embarrassing at times.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

The reactions to Kreider are always different from those to other players, in a bad way. If anything, Kreider should have earned the benefit of the doubt. It should go the other way.

We see the comments about him giving a bad effort even when he's objectively playing well, because I don't know...I guess people don't like specific things he did? It happens every game.

I agree with whoever said that weasel Brooks started this culture. He would have unironically traded Kreider for Josh Anderson.
I think part of it may be his skating style, he does this thing where it looks like he's just gliding; way more than most players. When the Rangers came to town earlier this season I was sitting right behind the net and I remember seeing Kreider come in on the forecheck he did so differently than most players and he does this thing where he just glides toward the boards, also gliding along the boards passing the puck keeping it to the perimeter, he looks like he's playing with less intensity than most guys. This skating style might not make a meaningful difference, of course you can just look like you're trying hard and doin stuff without doing much of anything lol, but I do get why people could come away thinking he "looks" lazy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think part of it may be his skating style, he does this thing where it looks like he's just gliding; way more than most players. When the Rangers came to town earlier this season I was sitting right behind the net and I remember seeing Kreider come in on the forecheck he did so differently than most players and he does this thing where he just glides toward the boards, also gliding along the boards passing the puck keeping it to the perimeter, he looks like he's playing with less intensity than most guys. This skating style might not make a meaningful difference, of course you can just look like you're trying hard and doin stuff without doing much of anything lol, but I do get why people could come away thinking he "looks" lazy
I definitely think there's some merit to this.

Kreider has a big body, good natural speed without having to really rev the engine, and his positioning is absolutely elite -- as good as it gets. It's the best aspect of his game and it doesn't get enough love. That's why he's the best in front of the net, a good defender, and just a force all over the offensive zone. He is in the perfect spot always.

This all equates to a player who doesn't have to hustle to win battles. I know people like to see hustle, and some guys need to hustle, but if he's already (and I posted the numbers) affecting the game at a level among the top 30ish players in the league, what is more mustard going to accomplish, exactly? Probably just more penalties and being out of position more often.

The only real bad habit he has is making dumb passes; passing being something he's not really good at. It certainly burned him last night.

That being said, he's already trounced his career high in assists with 13 games left, along with the best 5v5 offensive analytics he's ever had, so he's probably improved his playmaking overall.

For a guy who's going to be 33 next month to continue improving the way he has, I think speaks to the work he puts in.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And like, it's ok that some guys rock the boat. I want Rempe to be a huge hitter and agitator, as long he just eases up on the majors.

With all due respect to Rempe, he's not gonna average 35 goals per 82. Kreider doesn't need to be a role player in this league. He's an elite player doing exactly what he does.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
And like, it's ok that some guys rock the boat. I want Rempe to be a huge hitter and agitator, as long he just eases up on the majors.

With all due respect to Rempe, he's not gonna average 35 goals per 82. Kreider doesn't need to be a role player in this league. He's an elite player doing exactly what he does.
i-guess-well-see-clarence-thomas.gif

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona

Well I think you’ve known me on here long enough to know that I don’t call out a specific player even when they’re playing well. There are no hidden agendas for me here. So I can’t speak for the other posters who do. All I can comment is that I unbiasedly will call out players that don’t hustle. Last night was a play and he deserved to be called out on it because it cost us a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad