Prospect Info: Simon Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Finally a pick I like

Scouting report:
FutureConsideration
A solid, mature-minded, two-way blueliner who plays a solid game at both ends of the ice. He has a good, powerful stride with good speed and acceleration. He uses his skating power to join the rush and get involved offensively. Pivots well and has fluid all-direction mobility. He handles the puck well, using his strength on the puck and hand-speed to gain space to rush up ice or make a strong pass up ice. He distributes the puck effectively and has an accurate good wristshot from the point. His vision is high-end. His slap shot is relatively weak and will need some work. He is strong defensively, playing aggressively and physical, but will need to continue to add strength to be more effective in that role. Keeps attackers to the outside and can keep up to the speedy opponents because of his strong skating ability. He makes good step-ups and aggressive plays to force guys wide and take them off the puck in the corners and along the boards. He is aggressive and tough down-low on defense. A guy who makes good decisions all over the ice and can play heavy minutes when called upon. This kid’s game is on a steep trajectory and only getting better.

HockeyProspect
Bourque was drafted by the Oceanic in the 2nd round of the 2013 QMJHL draft and made a good impact with the team last year, as he played big minutes in the 2nd half of the season. Again this year, Bourque played a big role with the team, playing in a top-4 role, being used in all situations and wearing an A on his jersey. Bourque is a player who plays with a lot of heart and works extremely hard on the ice. He has a very good compete level even if he lacks ideal size for a defenseman. He’s a capable puck mover; he’s able to play on the power play and makes smart decisions with the puck. On the power play he played more the role of the playmaker, he likes to set up his teammates on the man-advantage instead of being the shooter from the point. He’s more of a complimentary player on the man-advantage at this point in his development. He has a good, accurate shot from the point, but his velocity could see an improvement. Defensively he’s reliable, with above-average mobility and an ability to keep up with the best forwards in the league. He’s capable of playing physical in his own zone but relies more on his smarts and a good active stick to counter those top forwards. He’s consistent from game to game, rarely having a bad one, and always bounces back after a bad shift or game. It wouldn’t surprise us to see him wear the C as soon as next season with the Oceanic, as the management and coaching staff are really high on him. Bourque doesn’t have any great qualities and lacks the ideal size for a defensive NHL defenseman and that could cost him a chance to go in the first three rounds of the NHL draft, a mid-round pick for us.

ISS
Skill: Intelligent but non-physical defenseman who brings reliability on both sides of the puck.
Scouting Report: Bourque is a clever defenseman who plays ahead of the play. The reliable defender for Rimouski displays good character and leadership as an assistant captain. Brings character and intriguing intangibles on the blueline where he plays a safe and reliable game. Doesn’t play with much edge and not one to lay many hits but a lot of smart stick plays and excellent positioning to make him defensively effective. Never seems to be in trouble and doesn’t panic with the puck. Crisp first pass to exit the zone and has good poise to make plays under pressure. Adding a physical component to his game and building on his frame are the next phases in development.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
a nice pick if I recall him correctly from the playoffs and Memorial Cup, we sorely needed some LD's in the system. How do Q fans think Rimouski will fare next year?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
a nice pick if I recall him correctly from the playoffs and Memorial Cup, we sorely needed some LD's in the system. How do Q fans think Rimouski will fare next year?

They're going to lose a ton of talent. They'll probably finish in the bottom half, but they still have a few good pieces that may keep them out of the bottom 5.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Not a bad late pick....worth adding to the prospect cupboard. Lacks size and not going to wow you with his skills..but knows how to play the game. Should be a decent AHLer at worst.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
A bouillon character comparison is a positive thing...

Bouillon built himself an NHL career thanks to his attitude & determination. A great thing for any player in any round to be compared to.

Nothing to dislike about this pick, or the reasoning behind it...

Now, if his talent level is as limited as bouillon' was & MT somehow is still coaching by the time he makes nhl and over plays him as well... Then there will be something to didlike

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bergevin: Trevor, what the scouter says about Bourque's character level?
Timmins: It's over Fracis Boullion
Therrien: WHAT?! OVER BOULLION?!

*Therrien seen pacing back and forth in anticipation*

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is getting sad. Really sad.

And I'm not talking about the pick.

Well the guy played almost 800 NHL games despite being a 5'8 defenceman. I'd love to have a Bouillon in the 6th round.

Of course he was talking about character, but it's a good example the French media will eat up and relate to.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You guys laughing at the character things is kind of pathetic. Character is actually something very important when selecting a young players.

Players with character live beyond the expectations placed in them. Remember Gallagher? Remember Subban??(he lived beyond what we expected from him at his draft day)

Players withouth character, despite all the talents in the world, live below the expectations placed in them. Remember Andrei Kostitsyn(good journeyman NHL, but clearly not elite as he should have been)? Remember Chouinard?

So yeah, MB, TT, really like the way they draft, the build this team, we will be a good young team who contend for a long therm under their reign.

Character is probably the only quality that is being shared by all the players having success in this league

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Well the guy played almost 800 NHL games despite being a 5'8 defenceman. I'd love to have a Bouillon in the 6th round.

Of course he was talking about character, but it's a good example the French media will eat up and relate to.

I have absolutely nothing against Francis Bouillon. I think he was a very serviceable hockey player.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I have absolutely nothing against Francis Bouillon. I think he was a very serviceable hockey player.

I'll second that big time, it's just in the end it was time for him to go, but nobody could ever fault Bouillon for his play, character and tough was what he was

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If you draft a guy who ends up having Bouillon's career in the 3rd round, that's very good.
Let alone the 6th.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Bergevin: Trevor, what the scouter says about Bourque's character level?
Timmins: It's over Fracis Boullion
Therrien: WHAT?! OVER BOULLION?!

*Therrien seen pacing back and forth in anticipation*

Gold! :laugh:

In the original undubbed version, it was over Weise! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad