Silly things you thought about wrestling as a kid

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Before finding out that it was all choreographed, what assumptions did you have about pro wrestling?

-As a kid I assumed all jobbers were just regular people off the street that signed up for a match that night rather than being trained wrestlers

-When Kane debuted I was legitimately worried that he would take over the WWF singlehandedly and go undefeated forever. I also thought he was a Satanist too

-I first started watching WCW in 1996 and thought it was a brand new promotion. Ric Flair used to talk about being a 12 time world champion but then he would constantly get his ass whooped by the nWo, so for years I never took him seriously and just thought of him as a crazy, delusional old man who was somehow convinced that he was a legend. I would change the channel whenever he appeared and groan when he came out to fight to Hollywood Hogan because I thought "not this flabby old weirdo again, where is Sting or DDP?" It wasn't until years after I stopped watching that I fully realized the extent of his legacy. Oops!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I started watching the AWA in 1984, I thought the Fabulous Ones could actually beat the Road Warriors. lol

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I just remember being 7-8 years old and coming to school and telling everyone about the Kane/Undertaker thing and the back story. Everyone thought I was insane.

Kane was like the Jason Voorhees of my existence. I thought he was going to kill everyone.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Too may stories, but one funny one is me arguing with everyone back in the early 90s in 3rd grade that Undertaker's first name was Kane, as he was originally promoted for a match or two. Nowadays you can confirm that in 10 seconds, but back then nobody was on my level :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That it was real

Before finding out that it was all choreographed, what assumptions did you have about pro wrestling?

-As a kid I assumed all jobbers were just regular people off the street that signed up for a match that night rather than being trained wrestlers

-When Kane debuted I was legitimately worried that he would take over the WWF singlehandedly and go undefeated forever. I also thought he was a Satanist too

-I first started watching WCW in 1996 and thought it was a brand new promotion. Ric Flair used to talk about being a 12 time world champion but then he would constantly get his ass whooped by the nWo, so for years I never took him seriously and just thought of him as a crazy, delusional old man who was somehow convinced that he was a legend. I would change the channel whenever he appeared and groan when he came out to fight to Hollywood Hogan because I thought "not this flabby old weirdo again, where is Sting or DDP?" It wasn't until years after I stopped watching that I fully realized the extent of his legacy. Oops!
I remember talking with my uncle who wasn't much older than me and all I'd say is he sure lost a lot too. Can't be that great of a champion.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
I remember asking my father during a no disqualification match (can't remember who the participants were) "why doesn't he just bring a gun to the ring and shoot him?" He got a good laugh out of that one.

My friend and I were talking about the Undertaker when we were kids and he said "he UNDERTAKES you!" I asked "what does that mean?" Neither of us knew the answer but we figured it had to be scary.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
When I was younger and Goldberg would come in to the ring weekly and demolish his opponent quickly, I legitimately thought he was the toughest man on the face of the Earth.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I never cared at all for "workrate" or anything like that as a kid. To me, the best wrestler was always the one who beat his opponents in the most decisive manner. In WCW I was always way more impressed with guys like Goldberg, The Giant, etc than Eddie Guerrero or Rey Mysterio.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
- I thought Kane was gonna show up at my house and kill everyone because he ripped the cage door off and basically killed Undertaker. Had nightmares for weeks about that guy.

- I thought Goldberg was Stone Cold's brother for SO long as a kid

- Mankind genuinely scared the shit out of me

- The Dudley Boyz were actually that stupid (Bubba's stutter, Spike getting annihilated weekly).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
- I thought Kane was gonna show up at my house and kill everyone because he ripped the cage door off and basically killed Undertaker. Had nightmares for weeks about that guy.

- I thought Goldberg was Stone Cold's brother for SO long as a kid

- Mankind genuinely scared the shit out of me

- The Dudley Boyz were actually that stupid (Bubba's stutter, Spike getting annihilated weekly).
Papa Shango scared the shit out of me when I was younger lol.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I never cared at all for "workrate" or anything like that as a kid. To me, the best wrestler was always the one who beat his opponents in the most decisive manner. In WCW I was always way more impressed with guys like Goldberg, The Giant, etc than Eddie Guerrero or Rey Mysterio.
Depending on your age that's how wrestling was sold to many of us at a very young age. Big guys whether by their arms or their guts were the guys to watch out for.

Way different watching some of the wrestling from the 80's and 90's now. The guys that only had 3 or 4 moves were no longer that impressive after seeing what others that have 100 moves in their pocket can do.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Did anyone else actually think wrestlers lived in their billed hometowns? As a kid, I remember really wanting to go to Venice Beach because I was absolutely convinced that Hulk Hogan would be there walking around in his wrestling attire and cutting promos. Sadly, my father hated California and we were from the east coast so we never went. But I still figured that some day I would meet the Hulkster there. I also wanted to go to Death Valley to meet the Undertaker and Paul Bearer because I figured they ran a funeral home there.

Reactions: Ozz

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

Yeah man, seeing Goldberg come to the ring and pulverize his opponent within a minute or two impressed the f*** out of 10 year old me :laugh:.

When he held The Giant up in the air for the Jackhammer I was amazed.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did anyone else actually think wrestlers lived in their billed hometowns? As a kid, I remember really wanting to go to Venice Beach because I was absolutely convinced that Hulk Hogan would be there walking around in his wrestling attire and cutting promos. Sadly, my father hated California and we were from the east coast so we never went. But I still figured that some day I would meet the Hulkster there. I also wanted to go to Death Valley to meet the Undertaker and Paul Bearer because I figured they ran a funeral home there.
Wait the Koloff's weren't from Russia? :laugh:

Nikita Koloff learning Russian to buy into his character is something.

To go with the Russians I had no idea until years later what Volkoff was singing was just a made up national anthem:laugh:

I thought that they hate each other also in real life.
Sheik and Duggan sure messed that up for a lot of people. Fortunately for me I am from Canada and that story never made the news. Even if it did I was too young to be watching the news anyway.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah man, seeing Goldberg come to the ring and pulverize his opponent within a minute or two impressed the f*** out of 10 year old me :laugh:.

When he held The Giant up in the air for the Jackhammer I was amazed.
I'm still impressed how well that move was performed and that he held him. I was somewhat expecting a botched jackhammer that was still going to be impressive, but that was something.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i always wondered as a kid how they got color. must've been some pellet hidden in their mouth but that can't be because there's so much blood!

then i found out these carnies are crazy enough to just slice away at their foreheads with a blade.

oh, also wondered for a while how Shawn Michaels got that noise from his superkick

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Somehow I didn't realize how insane the lifestyle is, especially for the up and comers. Hulk Hogan described the lifestyle of sleeping 2-3 hours a night and touring around the country 7 days a week when he was cutting his teeth. Granted the man is a well known exaggerator, but I bet there's still a lot of truth in his stories

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
i always wondered as a kid how they got color. must've been some pellet hidden in their mouth but that can't be because there's so much blood!

then i found out these carnies are crazy enough to just slice away at their foreheads with a blade.

oh, also wondered for a while how Shawn Michaels got that noise from his superkick
Yeah, this was another big one for me. I had no idea how they got color until I was 9-10 years old.

When i was 5-6 I always thought it was done off camera with a blood packet or something, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad