Sick of Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
He hits and at least makes an attempt to park in front of Andersen. Yes ....4 million is too much. But Anderson is seeing just about everything, which makes him look that much better.

Two ducks goals, and crow was screened by Perry. Can somebody crosscheck him...he just stands there untouched. He has a bum knee, why not knock him down (or try to) ?

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
I don't like Bickell and yes, I think he's overpaid. However, his size and hitting are things the Hawks are already short of. In addition, there is no one like him in the pipeline. Its what I miss about Byfuglien and makes me reluctant to see Bickell moved. On the other hand Sharp makes more sense because there is still plenty of skill and scoring without him. I still would have preferred to see Sharp traded instead of Buff. (Buff at forward, that is)

Intense Individual

Jun 27, 2014
I don't like Bickell and yes, I think he's overpaid. However, his size and hitting are things the Hawks are already short of. In addition, there is no one like him in the pipeline. Its what I miss about Byfuglien and makes me reluctant to see Bickell moved. On the other hand Sharp makes more sense because there is still plenty of skill and scoring without him. I still would have preferred to see Sharp traded instead of Buff. (Buff at forward, that is)

==================================================
A million times agree. Bickell fills a roll that few current Hawks can. The closest from what I have seen is K. Baun.

Sharp unfortunately is equally distinct in that he is the only Hawks forward, that when in doubt, he shoots the puck. We may have one of those in Panerin now.

The other pieces like Versteeg, can easily be replaced by a kid or vet. Any defenseman save Keith, Seabrook and Hammer can easily be replaced.

Q is an idiot for the lineup changes he made. It showed on the ice.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Part of me wants to ask "WILL HE SCORE "A" GOAL THIS POST SEASON??"

and the other part of me says he will score a huge goal in game 5 in ANA to help the hawks win, catch fire from there and the the hawks go on for cup #3.

BobbleHeadNight*

So acquire a cheaper option to thump people and put him on the 3rd line. Bicks is not a top sixes.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I guess I'm ok with him not scoring if he does other things or if he was on the third line.

I watch him closely. He's a lazy hockey player. I see him loafing and I see him standing still a lot. If you look the Ducks, who are masters of net front presence - and even Shaw - they are constantly moving. Distracting the goalie. Causing disruption. When 29 gets in front of the net, he stands there. It's weird.

As far as hits, I see his as a lot of ancillary hits. Hits that occur, say at the red line when the puck has already left the skater he's hitting that action is going into the defensive zone. The hits that I care about are the ones in the either zone where it's leading to board battles and keeping offensive possession or taking the puck away on D. Hits that lead to possession and chances are good hits.

But his biggest sin is being on the same line with 88. He isn't generating chances for him. More importantly, that second line is a nightmare on defense. A big body like Bickell should help. That's where hits and board battles come into play. Nada.

Also, what about blocks? Anaheim has a lot of players with Bickell's build. Their forwards block a ton of shots. The second line spends a LOT of time in the D zone. Has 29 blocked a shot this entire series?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bickell last playoff goal = 5-26-14 vs Kings

Has not scored in last 17 playoff games

I am not sure if you will ever understand this concept but goals/assists/+- do not mean everything. Everyone on this board agrees he is over paid but most of us also are able to see that he brings things to this team in the playoffs that most players cannot.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's been fine.

Sometimes the puck doesn't go in.

Ask Sharp in 2014 playoffs, or Toews in the 2013 playoffs.

Thankfully, neither of those guys were run out of town (though I'm sure BWC would have tried! :laugh:).

The biggest issue with Bickel right now is that he's on a line that's getting smoke in possession and as a result, spends most of their shifts in their own zone, and not putting many shots on net.

In 2013 he put up 9 goals in 49 shots.

In 2014 he put up 7 goals in 44 shots.

In 2015 he's put up 0 goals in....wait for it...16 shots.

So, the options are 1) move him to a better possession line that can create more shots and spend more time in offensive zone, 2) keep the lines the same, and strategize around getting Bickell the puck, and tell him to shoot, rather than pass to Kane or Richards, 3) change nothing and just let Bickell hit people while Kane and Richards try various combinations of give-and-go plays.

Option 2 sounds like a bad plan. Option 3 is what we have right now, and Option 1 is my personal favorite.

The sad/hilarious thing is that of the three players on that 2nd line, Bickell is actually best as far as forechecking and puck retrieval. It's just a badly composed line.

And it's even sadder when you consider it's a clear upgrade over the same line with Versteeg in Bickell's place. **** Versteeg is terrible. :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He's been fine.

Sometimes the puck doesn't go in.

Ask Sharp in 2014 playoffs, or Toews in the 2013 playoffs.

Thankfully, neither of those guys were run out of town (though I'm sure BWC would have tried! :laugh:).

The biggest issue with Bickel right now is that he's on a line that's getting smoke in possession and as a result, spends most of their shifts in their own zone, and not putting many shots on net.

In 2013 he put up 9 goals in 49 shots.

In 2014 he put up 7 goals in 44 shots.

In 2015 he's put up 0 goals in....wait for it...16 shots.

So, the options are 1) move him to a better possession line that can create more shots and spend more time in offensive zone, 2) keep the lines the same, and strategize around getting Bickell the puck, and tell him to shoot, rather than pass to Kane or Richards, 3) change nothing and just let Bickell hit people while Kane and Richards try various combinations of give-and-go plays.

Option 2 sounds like a bad plan. Option 3 is what we have right now, and Option 1 is my personal favorite.

The sad/hilarious thing is that of the three players on that 2nd line, Bickell is actually best as far as forechecking and puck retrieval. It's just a badly composed line.

And it's even sadder when you consider it's a clear upgrade over the same line with Versteeg in Bickell's place. **** Versteeg is terrible. :laugh:

:facepalm:

If Sharp and Toews took the regular season off, no doubt we'd be more critical.

Bickell is lazy ass most of the time - multiple posters on this board (myself included) have pointed that out - the response is always "just wait for playoff Bickell" - when you're snoozing through the regular season you don't get to shrug off a bad playoffs as if it's 'one of those things'.

What a joke you'd reference Toews in the same conversation as Bickell!!!!!

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Even Handzus managed to score a goal or two playing with Kane.

This is just embarrassing at this point.

If it wasn't for Kane carrying his bloated overrated carcass I'm not sure he'd have more than 1 point.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The Canucks fans were crying about Virtanen so I tried to offer Bickell for him on the trade board. The early response has not been appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad