Should we look to acquire a top 4 d?

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
No way Turris leaves Ottawa. He's way too valuable. You will never replace him in a trade. JUst sayin'

imo i think we're a defenseman away from being real threats in the east.

I know they're hard to acquire but i think it would be worth it.

Should we get another defenseman? If so who?

post a proposal if you have any suggestions on who we should target.

I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions!:):handclap:

proposals so far:

Turris for Brodin
Gunnarson + 2nd for Wier and Smith

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
I thimk we should have gone after the Michalek brother in Arizona. That would have been the best move to make I think. He would slide nicely in our top 4.

No way Turris leaves Ottawa. He's way too valuable. You will never replace him in a trade. JUst sayin'

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yes we should. Kick the tires on Ehrhoff and Franson if possible.

Erhoff signed in LA and there's no way we add a defensemen unless we trade one of Wiercioch or Cowen plus Picks/prospects for a better defensemen.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
This has been beaten to death. IMO like many have said before me I think they will stick with what we already have and give them a chance to lock up a spot. Like Cowen and Weir will fight for the top 4 spot and I think the org hopes one of them take it. IMO none of them will take it and I hope management sees this as a last chance this year to give them a look. I think if after this year none of them is ready then I'd acquire a top 4 D via trade or UFA.

I think both Weir and Cowen are too slow for the top 4 but that's just me. Weir is good on offense but I don't like his defensive game even though he has good advanced stats I think he is soft, his decision making is too slow sometimes and his footwork is meh, all this leading him to lose puck battles to freaking Desharnais.

On the other hand Cowen is not soft but his decisions are weird and he handles the puck like a grenade in the NHL. He has showed potential in the past but now...

I dont know who I prefer tbh... I really liked Weircioch at the end of last year but I can't erase how soft and slow he is at some aspect of the game. Make or break this year IMO... Cause aside from the Hawks I don't see a Weir or Cowen in the top 4 of contenders

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You'd want to trade for a D prospect??? Thatd be interesting

Im good for either. Defensemen are like pitchers in baseball. You can never have to many.

Long term i still see the defense as a weakness whether it be players on the main team or players in the system.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
As a Canucks fan, I'd love to move Hamhuis. I just dont think the Canucks can do much right now.

2016 1st rounder (OTT) + (one of paul or prince) + Wikstrand

?

Othello*

As a Canucks fan, I'd love to move Hamhuis. I just dont think the Canucks can do much right now.

?

That's an overpayment. We're barely a playoff team so we shouldn't be trading our first or two NHL ready prospects.

Wiercioch + 2nd or 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBush*

?

Holy **** that's a heck of a price. I'd rather go after Edler, but for the sake of making a trade...

One of Cowen or Weircoch would have to be included. No way we bring in a LD without moving one out as Ottawa already has 5 LDs on 1 way contracts.

Paul is Ottawas top prospect (along with Lazar if he's still considered a prospect). Ottawa will not trade Paul for a rental, Prince maybe.

For Hamhuis:
2016 1st + Wiercoch or Cowen
(he only has one year left on his contract so his value isn't that high)

For Edler:
2016 1st + Wier/Cowen + Paul + another prospect (Prince/Puempel/Wikstrand/Lindberg)

Othello*

Holy **** that's a heck of a price. I'd rather go after Edler, but for the sake of making a trade...

One of Cowen or Weircoch would have to be included. No way we bring in a LD without moving one out as Ottawa already has 5 LDs on 1 way contracts.

Paul is Ottawas top prospect (along with Lazar if he's still considered a prospect). Ottawa will not trade Paul for a rental, Prince maybe.

For Hamhuis:
2016 1st + Wiercoch or Cowen
(he only has one year left on his contract so his value isn't that high)

For Edler:
2016 1st + Wier/Cowen + Paul + another prospect (Prince/Puempel/Wikstrand/Lindberg)

That's a better package than the one we gave up for Ryan. Too expensive

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Then 2016 1st + wikstrand

I'd do it, but I doubt the majority of canucks fans would do it.

You say u would need to include wiercoch or someone, but not really interested tbh. I don't think he has the upside wikstrand has.

BigBush*

That's a better package than the one we gave up for Ryan. Too expensive

Ya id say Elder's value is about equivalent to Ryan.

Edler would just fit in so nicely IMO. I'd rather overpay for a #2 Dman then underpay for a #4 Dman if you know what I mean

Othello*

Edler would just fit in so nicely IMO. I'd rather overpay for a #2 Dman then underpay for a #4 Dman if you know what I mean

I get ya

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Moves like that hurt hockey teams. Methot is perfectly capable of playing #2 to Karlsson and by the time he isn't there will be internal options. If there is an upgrade-able spot it's Weircoch's and there is no point in over-paying to do so, especially given the team's obvious desire to see Cowen there in the future (and I'm going to trust Murray and the brain trust on that).

If the team is going to overpay for a player then I'd rather see a top six left winger brought in.

BigBush*

Moves like that hurt hockey teams. Methot is perfectly capable of playing #2 to Karlsson and by the time he isn't there will be internal options. If there is an upgrade-able spot it's Weircoch's and there is no point in over-paying to do so, especially given the team's obvious desire to see Cowen there in the future (and I'm going to trust Murray and the brain trust on that).

If the team is going to overpay for a player then I'd rather see a top six left winger brought in.

You need a stacked defense to win the cup. I am high on Edler and think he'd thrive on the second pairing with Ceci and the #1 PP unit with Karlsson.

I don't have faith in winning a cup with Cowen or Weir on the second pairing. Hopefully that changes after this year.

I think Ottawa has a decent enough prospect pool where they can give up decent assets for Edler. We could also have enough assets to bring in a top 6 LW.

I think Ottawas best chance to win a cup is in the next 3 years while Turris, Stone, and Karlssons cap hits are small. They'd have to make some big trades though

We could trade our 1st, Prince, and Paul and still have some high end prospects (White, Chabot, Puempel, Wikstrand, Gagne, Chaplik)

BigBush*

Not unless Wiercioch fails terribly this season.

It's not so much about Weircioch failing, its about him not being any better then he was last season, which is just ok

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Teams that are not a lock for the playoffs will not be putting their first round picks into trades much in the future. Not with the new draft rules.

Teams can win a Cup with a variety of different lineups. Pittsburgh won a cup with a mediocre defense. Chicago has a great first pairing, but drops sharply after that. Boston won a cup with an overall good (but not great) lineup.

Kristopher Bras

Dec 12, 2014
Ottawa, ON
The system pipeline has quite a few great prospects right now, compounded by the fact that the team killed it at the draft table this year. The team has typically built from within, and we have the building blocks to continue doing so. No need to overpay in a trade.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
i would say wait another season, some players are still kinda of young
and can still develop

I agree; however, if a very good D man was available I might be interested in trading for him but the price would be high (E.g., Ryan, Turris, Stone, Zibanejad), and then the problem would be shifted elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad