Speculation: Should we chase D'Angelo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I have to admit, it sounds like watching him under Berube could be fun.

I’d only want him if there was a chance he’d hold some value as a playoff rental at the deadline.

It’s hard to imagine someone burning so many bridges as a pro athlete not being a pathological narcissist.

I think it has to do with personality. I'm never angry, usually not trying to be a dick and people just assume I'm angry or being a dick. It's how I grew up, my sense of humour and attitude. I'm also usually sarcastic about nearly everything. It's entirely possible that's how TDA is and people just don't get it because everyone has to bow down to cater to their needs and they don't feel like they should give someone else the same benefit.

And frankly put, I'm not going to walk on eggshells because someone is over-sensitive and gets their feelings hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it has to do with personality. I'm never angry, usually not trying to be a dick and people just assume I'm angry or being a dick. It's how I grew up, my sense of humour and attitude. I'm also usually sarcastic about nearly everything. It's entirely possible that's how TDA is and people just don't get it because everyone has to bow down to cater to their needs and they don't feel like they should give someone else the same benefit.

And frankly put, I'm not going to walk on eggshells because someone is over-sensitive and gets their feelings hurt.
You can be a smart a$$ without being an a$$hole. You walk that line well. But tonyD is on other side of that line. Even his own teammates seem to hate him.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
A guy like Marchand is loved by his teammates. So is Tom Wilson. Hockey locker rooms can be pretty tolerant, and guys rally around their teammates. To be incapable of engendering loyalty on your own team is a pretty big red flag.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's a right handed Dman who consistently produces offense from the backend. Even with his very poor defensive play, that type of player is still very valuable in the NHL. Yet he's about to be in his 6th organization before he turns 28 and the Flyers couldn't give him away for a 7th. Such a huge red flag. No thanks.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i don't think he's looking to sign with us and i don't expect DA to do more than find out the asking price from another GM

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

I’d only want him if there was a chance he’d hold some value as a playoff rental at the deadline.

It’s hard to imagine someone burning so many bridges as a pro athlete not being a pathological narcissist.
I don’t think we have the roster composition to really put him in a position to produce like he can, which would limit what he’d be able to fetch at the TDL. So I don’t think he’d generate enough value to outweigh his baggage and how we’d have to juggle deployment with Krug, Peru, and TDA for most of the season.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
What baggage does he have? Sincere question, I don't know about this.
I for one have nothing against him. He is however a lighting rod for controversy simply because of his political beliefs. Of course it's not fair to him. It is however the nature of the times we're in and the distraction is unnecessary if this team is trying to re-establish it's identity.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I've heard ex teammates say positive things about him in interviews and even ex coach David Quinn said he got a bad rap. I'm sure he's made mistakes in the past but it doesn't mean he's a horrible, unredeemable person. But once the general public finds out your political beliefs then it's over for you, pal.

That being said, he obviously isn't a good fit roster-wise. He's about the last thing this team needs right now. Sheltering Krug and Perunovich is enough if a challenge.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Rumors fly around like wildfire amongst our more problem children in the NHL to the point that sometimes you can't separate fact from fiction/half-lies. Here's look I look at this whole thing:

27 years old on his fifth team, Rangers bought him out and now the Flyers are in the process of buying him out while having fairly solid stats. That's enough red flags for me to steer clear of him.
See here's the thing. We're in an era where anything that smacks of an ism or a strong position that might trigger the right person in the room will result in this. Official abuse is one thing, and I get that. Obviously he's passionate kid, and the question might be, is his obvious skill set worth trying to leverage for League min? If he's a bust or isn't gelling, fine. I just wonder if his supposed "reputation" is salting the earth too much for a real opportunity.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I've heard ex teammates say positive things about him in interviews and even ex coach David Quinn said he got a bad rap. I'm sure he's made mistakes in the past but it doesn't mean he's a horrible, unredeemable person. But once the general public finds out your political beliefs then it's over for you, pal.

That being said, he obviously isn't a good fit roster-wise. He's about the last thing this team needs right now. Sheltering Krug and Perunovich is enough if a challenge.
This is such a crock of shit :laugh: He fell in the draft because of these issues. This is not something new, nor is it because of his "political beliefs". There are tons of conservatives in the NHL. He's an asshole and isn't nearly good enough that you just look the other way and put up with it.

Reactions: Blueston

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
The only use TDA would provide this team is to put one of him, Peru, and Krug on each pairing to tank for a top 3 pick. Didn't we just spend a year bemoaning a defense that can't defend? We need less guys who suck in their own end, not another one.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
See here's the thing. We're in an era where anything that smacks of an ism or a strong position that might trigger the right person in the room will result in this. Official abuse is one thing, and I get that. Obviously he's passionate kid, and the question might be, is his obvious skill set worth trying to leverage for League min? If he's a bust or isn't gelling, fine. I just wonder if his supposed "reputation" is salting the earth too much for a real opportunity.
Two teams don’t buy you out for bad reputation. They buy you out for character issues that are conflicting in the locker room and outside of it. He should fit right in and he seems to make efforts not to.

Reactions: 542365 and Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The only use TDA would provide this team is to put one of him, Peru, and Krug on each pairing to tank for a top 3 pick. Didn't we just spend a year bemoaning a defense that can't defend? We need less guys who suck in their own end, not another one.

Or we would score so many goals we'd actually not tank. Obviously that would only happen to a team that's not named the Blues.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Last edited:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He was suspended twice in junior for violating the league's harassment and abuse/diversity policy. Once for an issue with comments made to a teammate behind closed doors and once for something that happened mid-game. He was also suspended in junior for abusing an official. In his first game back from suspension, he was ejected for once again abusing an official.

He was drafted 19th overall in 2014 by the Lightning and made the AHL in his D+2 season. He had a productive season (43 points in 67 games) but was scratched a few times (the team never said why). In the summer following this season (2016), the Lightning traded him to Arizona for the 37th overall pick.

In the 2016/17 season he split time between the AHL and NHL. During his first NHL stint, he was suspended for 3 games for abusing a ref. That summer he was traded to the Rangers in the Raanta/Stepan trade.

He split time between the NHL and AHL in 2017/18 and then made the NHL full time in 2018/19. He was healthy scratched about 20 times in 2018/19 at least in part over maturity issues (according to the coach). He was awesome in 2019/20, got a 2 year deal worth $4.8M a year in the summer of 2020. Then there were some unknown off-ice stuff that caused him to be healthy scratched early in the season. The GM told him that he was on his last strike. 5 games later, he got in a fight with Georgiev and was waived just 3 weeks into the first season of his contract extension. He cleared and rather than sending him to the AHL the Rangers just told him to go home and collect a paycheck away from their prospects. He was bought out that summer.

He went to Carolina on a cheap 1 year deal in 2021/22 and had a good year. They traded his rights to Philly who signed him to a 2 year deal and he had another good year in 2022/23. It was rumored that Philly was going to trade him back to Carolina, but they instead chose to buy out the last year of his deal.

The baggage is a pretty long history of abusing officials and generally being enough of an asshole to merit multiple suspensions, healthy scratches, two teams electing to pay him not to play (despite on-ice production) and the team who drafted him trading him for a noticeably worse pick than they used to draft him after a good rookie AHL season. Or politics. Probably just politics.
He sounds like another Steve Durbano, even being the same ethnicity.

Durbano was a disaster, but I sure paid attention when he was on the ice.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If we can salvage some value for Perunovich in a trade, I'd be open to signing D'Angelo for the league minimum on a 1-year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad