Speculation: Should we chase D'Angelo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
As Philly (surprisingly) bought him out today, should we change things around and make an effort getting him?

Of course someone would have to go if that is the case, but his playing profile is a fit being a RD. Locker room wise he may be a challenge, but Army has a history in taking in "misfits" and rejuvenating them.

There is also some rumours that he could take a cheap contract.

Opinions?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Nope, no reason to either, we have krug and scotty if need be to run the PP and he's the last type of personality we need in our room let alone 5v5 style of play. We need real DEFENCEman, not a glorified Krug with attitude issues

Talented player though, for sure. Carolina seems to be his honey hole

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It really wasn't surprising, but no, I don't have any interest in him. There would be an argument if we were able to dump Krug and sign DeAngelo to a 1-year, cheap deal, but I'd rather just have Perunovich in that scenario. He can put up points, but he can't defend and does have attitude/personality issues that are unrelated to politics. I'd rather not mess with locker room chemistry on someone that won't move the needle.

Reactions: JoernAZ

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
Seeing the response I do agree. Adding that there was no talk about TAD during the trade specs involving Krug I reckon there was no interest from our side getting him.

Sanheim was the main target beside Hayes. Still, I would be shocked if Army pulls a stunt here. Despair or not... 😎

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As Philly (surprisingly) bought him out today, should we change things around and make an effort getting him?

Of course someone would have to go if that is the case, but his playing profile is a fit being a RD. Locker room wise he may be a challenge, but Army has a history in taking in "misfits" and rejuvenating them.

There is also some rumours that he could take a cheap contract.

Opinions?
Absolutely not. The last thing we need is another undersized one dimensional defenseman that would need sheltering.

Reactions: JoernAZ

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
All we have is speculation that he's a racist and fact that he likes Trump. Otherwise all we have to go on is that he's traded and bought out often yet I haven't seen his team mates speaking out against him.
Here: Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

And

Here: Rangers waive controversial Tony DeAngelo after reported altercation with teammate

Concrete proof he has baggage, and definitely not a player that exemplifies ideal behavior.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What baggage does he have? Sincere question, I don't know about this.
He was suspended twice in junior for violating the league's harassment and abuse/diversity policy. Once for an issue with comments made to a teammate behind closed doors and once for something that happened mid-game. He was also suspended in junior for abusing an official. In his first game back from suspension, he was ejected for once again abusing an official.

He was drafted 19th overall in 2014 by the Lightning and made the AHL in his D+2 season. He had a productive season (43 points in 67 games) but was scratched a few times (the team never said why). In the summer following this season (2016), the Lightning traded him to Arizona for the 37th overall pick.

In the 2016/17 season he split time between the AHL and NHL. During his first NHL stint, he was suspended for 3 games for abusing a ref. That summer he was traded to the Rangers in the Raanta/Stepan trade.

He split time between the NHL and AHL in 2017/18 and then made the NHL full time in 2018/19. He was healthy scratched about 20 times in 2018/19 at least in part over maturity issues (according to the coach). He was awesome in 2019/20, got a 2 year deal worth $4.8M a year in the summer of 2020. Then there were some unknown off-ice stuff that caused him to be healthy scratched early in the season. The GM told him that he was on his last strike. 5 games later, he got in a fight with Georgiev and was waived just 3 weeks into the first season of his contract extension. He cleared and rather than sending him to the AHL the Rangers just told him to go home and collect a paycheck away from their prospects. He was bought out that summer.

He went to Carolina on a cheap 1 year deal in 2021/22 and had a good year. They traded his rights to Philly who signed him to a 2 year deal and he had another good year in 2022/23. It was rumored that Philly was going to trade him back to Carolina, but they instead chose to buy out the last year of his deal.

The baggage is a pretty long history of abusing officials and generally being enough of an asshole to merit multiple suspensions, healthy scratches, two teams electing to pay him not to play (despite on-ice production) and the team who drafted him trading him for a noticeably worse pick than they used to draft him after a good rookie AHL season. Or politics. Probably just politics.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Even if you ignore his off ice issues completely, he’s the only player to have been bought out twice.

That should tell you all you need to know. He can’t help our defense.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Here: Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

And

Here: Rangers waive controversial Tony DeAngelo after reported altercation with teammate

Concrete proof he has baggage, and definitely not a player that exemplifies ideal behavior.
So 2 reports where they won't tell you what was said and one where he was bought out because they couldn't trade him. This is not proof of anything I mentioned.

Also, is Sarnia the same league that suspended a kid for flexing on Subban and ruining his life because of hurt feelings?

But I would rather have a guy that hurt someones feelings than someone that messed with a teammates wife or an underage babysitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeuceNine

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
So 2 reports where they won't tell you what was said and one where he was bought out because they couldn't trade him. This is not proof of anything I mentioned.

Also, is Sarnia the same league that suspended a kid for flexing on Subban and ruining his life because of hurt feelings?

Rumors fly around like wildfire amongst our more problem children in the NHL to the point that sometimes you can't separate fact from fiction/half-lies. Here's look I look at this whole thing:

27 years old on his fifth team, Rangers bought him out and now the Flyers are in the process of buying him out while having fairly solid stats. That's enough red flags for me to steer clear of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll say this. He was a model citizen and an asset in his 1 year in Carolina. Maybe a lot of that was due to him feeling this was his last chance (at the time), but I suspect it was due to Rod Brind'Amour and the culture of the team. I think Berube and the Blues would be a similar situation, but who knows.

That said, he's not great defensively. If you can get him cheap to play on the bottom pairing and PP, that's the best situation. He can step into the top 4 with a strong partner (he had Slavin in Carolina), but that's not ideal long term. He's a true PP QB though. He's not like Faulk or Hamilton where he has a bomb of a shot, he's a great skater and a phenomenal passer that can move the puck quickly on the PP. He has the vision and ability to move the puck quickly and accurately.

If you get "good Tony", you get an asset that can help if used correctly. If you over slot him or get "bad Tony", it won't work, but most likely, he's going to get a contract around $1M, so it's not a huge risk.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
no chance. the guy is literally the worst defender in the league. talented offensive player, rather a jerk, but his defensive play is atrocious. like one of the player cards i saw on twitter had him as a 1 percentile defensive WAR. and he's a jerk. stay far away.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
no chance. the guy is literally the worst defender in the league. talented offensive player, rather a jerk, but his defensive play is atrocious. like one of the player cards i saw on twitter had him as a 1 percentile defensive WAR. and he's a jerk. stay far away.
If you like the 2022-2023 blues defense your gonna love this guy :laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have to admit, it sounds like watching him under Berube could be fun.

I’d only want him if there was a chance he’d hold some value as a playoff rental at the deadline.

It’s hard to imagine someone burning so many bridges as a pro athlete not being a pathological narcissist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad